Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

CorwinGraves
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

After thinking a bit about this thread, I took a look at the Capture system, and I must admit that it's a compelling alternative to the Cotton Carrier. Unlike the CC, I like how it can be used with all sorts of different straps. The only (big) con I can see is that it doesn't seem to work with L-brackets. I've figured a workaround with my CC by using an RRS clamp, but not sure how I might do this with the Capture system.

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:15 PM
3iron
• •
p.2 #2 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I have tried to review the Capture system a little and it appears well thought of. One negative I saw a bit was that the unit would tend to tip and dig into the body when used with a heavier camera or lens. Haven't seen anything like that with the cotton Carrier.
It would seem the biggest problem with the Cotton C. is the bulk with the chest harness.

Apr 07, 2013 at 09:32 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.2 #3 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

Figured I would update this thread based on a recent snow/ice ascent I did in N. California. Another con I ran into with the Cotton Carrier, and which would be similar with the Capture system, is that the camera is not at all protected when having to self arrest. I should have thought of this ahead of time and put the camera in my pack, but didn't and dug my 17-40L into the snow during self arrest while descending. Snow was soft, so no big deal, but I can imagine a worse outcome. And besides, it's always sort of bothered me that the camera/lens is so exposed. I may be looking for a different option, or at the least, putting my camera away during certain activities.

May 04, 2013 at 02:54 PM
3iron
• •
p.2 #4 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

Corwin, thanks for the update. I can not imagine any system that allows you to keep the camera on your front that would not be at risk in you situation. The pack may be the best place during those ops.
Glad the camera was OK.

May 04, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Defy
• •
p.2 #5 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

Another idea is the spider pro. I use it on the hip and love it. It works for strolls but if you moving and really putting miles down it can swing a lot.

The only thing that I don't like is having the pin sticking out of the bottom of the camera. You can't set it down flat... but it is still awesome.

If you go this route don't get the full belt system. Just get the base plate, a few pins and the holster. I use the holster on a gun belt and I have a pin in the foot of my 70-200mm and the base plate on my camera for smaller lenses.

May 06, 2013 at 02:09 AM
lighthawk
• •
p.2 #6 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

CorwinGraves wrote:
Figured I would update this thread based on a recent snow/ice ascent I did in N. California. . . . dug my 17-40L into the snow during self arrest while descending.

On the other hand, maybe you can leave the axe behind, and just use the sturdy 17-40 for all your self arrest neeeds

May 06, 2013 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CorwinGraves
• •
p.2 #7 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

lighthawk wrote:
On the other hand, maybe you can leave the axe behind, and just use the sturdy 17-40 for all your self arrest neeeds

Haha, there's an idea!

May 07, 2013 at 02:08 PM
robstein
• • •
p.2 #8 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

ontime wrote:
Uhh, this looks amazing, and more versatile than the STRAPSHOT. I'm going to look into this one.

Yeah It's good but far from perfect.... used it for a 5week trip recently. The issue is that the bottom of the clamp digs into my hip at times - even with the widest belt that I can feed thru jeans; the weight from the camera tends to dig into the bottom part of the plate - since we are all different shapes, that may or may not be an issue. MIGHT be solved by grabbing an army surplus belt - thinking of trying that.

The WORST part is the milling on the belt plate... it's too damn sharp and I have small cuts all over my hands from the thing - I would prefer the beautiful milling of something like the RRS plates. The same is partly true of the plate on the camera... just too sharp. I found it ok for attaching to my backpack strap and hanging the camera there but works far better on the hip. It is pretty easy to get into the belt clip after some practice but play with that knob to get the right tension - I found loosening it helps and still keeps it safe.

I wish the locking clip was metal instead of cheap plastic - I expect to see that fail at some point. Look carefully in the picture but that red locking clip is cheap plastic and that's all that stops the camera sliding out. I have no clue why that is not metal.

It is completely useless for a pro camera body - The lens needs to be in align with the bottom of the camera body otherwise it hangs wrong and digs in badly.

As for the related leash from the same place - forget about it as too thin and digs in and is barely ok for a drop strap.

Another option I found and almost bought was the spider.... I expect that works with a pro body much better just looking at the design.

May 08, 2013 at 09:59 PM
3iron
• •
p.2 #9 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

ribstein: great report, thank you. That moves me back to the Cotton Carrier.

May 08, 2013 at 10:15 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.2 #10 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

3iron wrote:
ribstein: great report, thank you. That moves me back to the Cotton Carrier.

Agreed. This is useful information, as I had been considering the Capture system.

Anyone have experience with Think Tank digital holsters? Link

I'm looking for some measure of protection for my gear. I don't like the idea of having an expensive body and lens combo just dangling freely. I've taken some spills in the past, as I'm sure others have, and using the Cotton Carrier as I am now is just asking for it.

May 09, 2013 at 07:31 PM
bpark42
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

robstein wrote:
The WORST part is the milling on the belt plate... it's too damn sharp and I have small cuts all over my hands from the thing - I would prefer the beautiful milling of something like the RRS plates. The same is partly true of the plate on the camera... just too sharp..

Maybe the design has changed or maybe you are just a victim of poor quality control, but I have never cut myself or felt like that was something I even needed to worry about.

robstein wrote:
I wish the locking clip was metal instead of cheap plastic - I expect to see that fail at some point. Look carefully in the picture but that red locking clip is cheap plastic and that's all that stops the camera sliding out. I have no clue why that is not metal.

Agreed, though I attach the system to my pack strap such that the camera has to slide down into place. The locking clip never carries the weight of the camera (unless I am hanging off a cliff by my toes or something)

robstein wrote:
It is completely useless for a pro camera body - The lens needs to be in align with the bottom of the camera body otherwise it hangs wrong and digs in badly.

I suppose I should have indicated that I only really use this for smaller setups. I can't imagine wanting to hang anything like a Canon 1-series + a big lens off my pack or hip when doing serious hiking or backpacking.

May 10, 2013 at 07:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password