Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

ontime
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I am looking into a better method of carrying my camera on hikes (8-12 mi day hikes/snow shoeing). Right now I throw it in the bag, so I have to take my pack off to get at it.

Anyone use the Cotton Carrier Strapshot for hiking? How is it? It's supposed to be a pack add-on alternative to the harness.

Link: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-strapshot-p/211cps.htm

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:13 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I have the same thing on my list, Hopefully someone has some experience with this.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:35 AM
bpark42
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I use the Capture system for hiking/backpacking.

http://peakdesignltd.com/capture/

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:12 PM
rockant
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I use a strapshot with my F-Stop Tilopia Pack and my Standard Mountaineering Pack. It carries well with a loaded pack, but can pull a bit if your pack is very light. Make sure that it does not conflict with where your strap adjusts or your chest strap is.

It is very easy to access your camera with any standard sized lens, but it gets more difficult with larger telephotos like 70-200 f2.8 or 100-400 f4.5-5.6. The camera loads and unloads with the lens horizontal and is locked in when the lens is pointed down. I can also verify that the leash works, it acts as a backup if you drop or miss when you try to attach your camera.

Good Luck
Tony

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:45 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I used the strapshot while ski touring up in Canada. Mine was mounted on a Deuter 22L sized pack and worked great. I often ski or hike with Optek strap, bandolier style, diagonal across chest. The Cotton Carrier worked pretty well for me with 7D + 15-85. I did use it a bit with 70-200/4 mounted and it was ok. I only used it for the touring, not the downhill skiing, when the camera had to go in the pack.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

bpark42 wrote:
I use the Capture system for hiking/backpacking.

http://peakdesignltd.com/capture/

Uhh, this looks amazing, and more versatile than the STRAPSHOT. I'm going to look into this one.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:49 AM
1KIND
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I have a B-Grip for sale. Great for hiking and backpacking. It's similar to the Capture.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:05 PM
jimbob
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I like my Cotton Carrier Vest for 1 camera model because it keeps the camera centered on my body. i use it more than i thought I would. Whether hiking or on the bicycle it has never got in the way like the Strapshot which I tried briefly.
Perhaps this is not a fair comparison as I only used the Strapshot for about 1 hour.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:20 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I used the traditional Cotton Carrier on several backpacking trips last summer and I now find it indispensable. I also used to carry my camera in my pack and found that I hardly used it, since it was fairly inconvenient to stop and take it out.

The only time I find it difficult is when scrambling on rocks or ascending steep terrain. In these cases I usually put the camera in my pack to avoid damaging it.

Get the Cotton Carrier. You won't regret it.

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:22 AM
lhdvries
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I have the original cotton carrier with the chest carrier & side carrier. It is great for hiking(that's why I got it)

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

3iron
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

Corwin and Ihdvries: are you using the CC vest like carrier with your backpack?
I ask because I am interested in something similar as well?
Thanks in advance.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:05 PM
lhdvries
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

3iron wrote:
Corwin and Ihdvries: are you using the CC vest like carrier with your backpack?
I ask because I am interested in something similar as well?
Thanks in advance.

Not always, but when I do I find my Tamrac 5 series has no problem working with it. If I use the bigger 7series Tamrac I remove the side holster as it sometimes interferes with the larger waist belt of the bigger Tamrac.. The main reason I like the setup is that it totally does away with any swaying effect of the cameras while negotiating Mtn trails where balance is sometimes essential. I usually have the 70-200 on the chest hook up & the 24-70 in the holster.

Leon

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:25 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

Yes, I use it with a 70 liter pack without a problem. The only complaint is that it can get kind of hot depending on the weather, though not unbearably so.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

Thank you, that is very helpful and explanatory. I had concerns whether it could be used successfully with a full backpack. I like the idea of the better control it gives to the camera while hiking and that it is hands free.
Best to you.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

3iron wrote:
Thank you, that is very helpful and explanatory. I had concerns whether it could be used successfully with a full backpack. I like the idea of the better control it gives to the camera while hiking and that it is hands free.
Best to you.

What kind of setup are you looking to carry? I can't imagine choosing the cotton carrier over the capture system for hiking or backpacking with a full pack on.

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:15 AM
3iron
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

bpark; My carry pack will be F stop Loka with lenses and hiking gear. But, I will not be carrying it about 1/2 the time, which tends to make me lean toward the CC unit. I do like the looks and simplicity of the capture system but wonder how it will work with my tripod and monopod set up.
Please feel free to share any thoughts you might have.
Thanks and best wishes.

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:07 AM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

The Capture plate is arca-compatible, so it is extremely simple to go from having the camera secured to the strap of your pack or your belt or whatever to putting it on the tripod.

That said, if you will frequently be out without a pack or shoulder bag, the Capture may not be the best choice for you.

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:41 PM
CorwinGraves
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

The Cotton Carrier can also be made arca-compatible with a separate clamp from RRS, which is what I did. This allows me to move seamlessly from CC to tripod.

@bpark42 - curious why you wouldn't recommend the CC for backpacking apart from the arca-compatibility issue. I used it several times last year, and even quite a bit off-trail without issue.

Apr 06, 2013 at 12:30 AM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I think the Capture is smaller, simpler, and more versatile. I'm sure the cotton carrier works fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice for backpacking.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:04 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cotton Carrier STRAPSHOT for hiking?

I use a LowePro Toploader with chest harness. Works very well and gives some measure of protection to the camera.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password