Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · OM Zuiko sample variations

Krosavcheg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OM Zuiko sample variations

Guys, are you aware of anything related to OM Zuiko (non-digital) sample variations?
I know there are quality differences of different batches...

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OM Zuiko sample variations

I'm on my second Oly 24/2.8 MC, and it's definitely better than the one I had a few years ago. I'm about to take delivery of my third Oly 21/3.5, this one is single coated. The previous two were OK, but didn't live up to my expectations, based on the comments of many contributors here on the Alt forum.

I also have Oly 50/1.8 and 200/4 lenses, and they're great - one copy of each. I had an Oly 50/1.2 for a few years, and it was great, too. My previous Oly 55/1.2 was a bit disappointing, but that's completely in line with comments of other users.

One thing that I can say is for focal lengths of about 28mm and wider, the quality and accuracy of the adapter has a very large influence on lens performance. Now, once I find a "keeper" wide angle Alt lens, I get a Leitax mount for it (if one is available).

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OM Zuiko sample variations

+1 @ don't skimp on the adapter for WA/UWA ... it can make a great piece of glass look mediocre or even problematic. I've not used Leitax yet, but I had situation with a distinct difference between an early Ebay cheapie, regular Fotodiox and an upgrade to Fotodiox Pro. I may go Leitax for my Oly 18/3.5, but for now my Fotodiox Pro's are getting the job done well for me.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OM Zuiko sample variations

In that case it might be adapter issue.
Been testing 28/2 for quite some time and not quite satisfied with the results.
According to 16-9, OM 28/2 is supposed to be best performing 28mm...

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:53 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OM Zuiko sample variations

I had a G.Zukio 28/2.8 that was not as good as others had remarked or as good as my 24/2.8 is.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:54 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OM Zuiko sample variations

mine is quite impressive from a resolution/contrast standpoint.

flare control isn't it's strong suit though.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OM Zuiko sample variations

Does it still vignette at f8 for you?

Ed: How about the corners across all apertures?

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:00 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OM Zuiko sample variations

my only digital is APS-c, but I dont notice ANY vignetting at f4, much less f8.

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OM Zuiko sample variations

I do get strongly pronounced vignetting at f8. Must be adaptor.
Need to stop buying Chinese junk through bay..

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:23 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OM Zuiko sample variations

well, that may be a plausible answer.

refer to Gary Reese's test of this lens:
http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=225&Itemid=97

his vignetting notes mirror mine on film. I understand how sample variation can affect sharpness since stuff can move around inside but Im not sure if I can think of a mechanism that would induce extreme additional vignetting but hey Im not a lens designer so maybe it's possible.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:41 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OM Zuiko sample variations

I don't understand how an adapter can have much, if any, effect on vignetting.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:52 PM
JaanOs
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OM Zuiko sample variations

Hm, as received Canon TS-E 17/4 and adapter for Olympus 18/3.5 few days apart... There was even nothing to compare. 18mm left after test sitting in the box as a bad sample. And I wonder every time if someone are praising Oly WA-s why I pay 650 EUR for a totally crappy lens
Must take a second look at the adapter (yes, el cheapo ebay version).

Edit...for a travel lens there are some considerations about 18mm v 17mm in size/weight

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:56 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OM Zuiko sample variations

JaanOs-
I agree. In 2007, in the middle of the alt WA craze with the rising availability of FF EOS cameras, I purchased an Oly 21/2 kit (hood, case, caps) on here for a paltry $900.
The size of the lens was awesome, but optically it was completely underwhelming. Not sure if I got a bad copy, but I don't think so.
My 16-35mkII bested it in every way, and had AF to boot.
My Nikkor 18/2.8 AF-D bested it in every way, and wasn't terribly larger.
I wound up ebaying the 21/2 for a healthy profit, and never looked back.

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:43 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OM Zuiko sample variations

That is an early "MC" designated 18/3.5. The later ones do not have the MC designation.
There were reports of the early 18/3.5's not being as good as the later ones. Some suggested that a tweak was made to the optics.I had a later serial# 18/3.5 (without MC) and it was an excellent lens across the frame on FF. Used it with a Kindai adapter.

JaanOs wrote:
Hm, as received Canon TS-E 17/4 and adapter for Olympus 18/3.5 few days apart... There was even nothing to compare. 18mm left after test sitting in the box as a bad sample. And I wonder every time if someone are praising Oly WA-s why I pay 650 EUR for a totally crappy lens
Must take a second look at the adapter (yes, el cheapo ebay version).

Edit...for a travel lens there are some considerations about 18mm v 17mm in size/weight
http://www.upload.ee/thumb/3178616/_MG_8114.jpg

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:49 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OM Zuiko sample variations

I believe you need a good adapter for an uwa lens. One with proper thickness.

Have a few 50's around one seems better than the others. My sc 21/3.5 isn't that hot but I did have to take it apart one time. It seems about like the old MP test, but I've had it for long time, have taken a lot of phots with it and plan on using it if / when I get a ff camera. 16-9 seems to have a better version than I .

You can't really tell the difference between a 70's or 90's model like you can with Nikon. The om look the same, mostly. You can but its harder. I think samples may vary quite a bit.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:11 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OM Zuiko sample variations

Krosavcheg wrote:
Been testing 28/2 for quite some time and not quite satisfied with the results.
According to 16-9, OM 28/2 is supposed to be best performing 28mm...

I bought one used a few years ago for my film OM kit in response to good reports about it and found it to be a total dog. I tested it on two known good single digit OM bodies, so can rule out adaptor issues there. It was quite an old example and had clearly not been opened up recently either, so tampering by backyarders (a real problem at the time here) seems unlikely.

Another OM lens with the reputation of having bad copies is the 35mm f/2.8. I had a bad one of those too, but think it might have passed through the hands of a backyarder.

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:38 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password