Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

John Thawley
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Early March and Sebring became a long two weeks for me starting with Trans Am at Sebring for three days, a static shoot at North Palm Beach County airport for the new Patron Honda ALMS prototypes, and a static shoot at Sebring for the G.I. Joe prototype the Sunday beginning the 12 Hour race week. In addition, I had about a dozen "formal" studio head shots to get done early in the week.

By time cars got on track for the race, it felt like the race week that wouldn't end. I shouldn't complain though... I'd much rather burn out than rust out!!!

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:49 AM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

The 12 Hour...

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:52 AM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

And just a little atmosphere...

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:55 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Great action and portrait sots here. Great job at panning, well done.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Thank you, love them all, especially the pans!!!

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

...Super set as usual...Audi's...Pans...Pits....Portraits...
It's all there...another example of "How It Should Be Done"...IMHO

Jefferson

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Thanks for the feedback!

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:14 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

nice set as usual JT, the Audi pan is particularly nice.

Must be a bit frantic to be in the pits during tire changes...do you have someone with you as a spotter, or just enough experience to "feel" another car coming down the pits?

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:42 AM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Travis Rhoads wrote:
do you have someone with you as a spotter, or just enough experience to "feel" another car coming down the pits?

Thanks, Travis.

No spotter. They limit who can shoot over the wall to those with a "orange vest" designation. However, that only qualifies you for shooting from the island. There are only a handful of guys allowed to shoot in the pit box during the race. So spotters would only add more bodies to the restricted space.

The key to covering your *ss is to try and always face downstream toward pit-in. Even if you're only crossing over to the island. Walk at an angle that provides you with a sightline of traffic coming into the pits. Try to never turn your back.

If a team is in for a full stop, you come over the wall with the guy carrying the pit board. You then take your shots of the car coming to a stop... then fueling and/or driver change. Then when the car goes up, you follow the tire changers around the car on the side away from the car. They will start with the front and then move to the rear. This path minimizes your time spent looking the "wrong" way. As the rear tire guys are done, you should be moving back toward the wall at the rear of the car shooting the car pulling away from the pit. This should make sure you are not in the path of the car when the driver is told to GO, GO, GO. At that point the driver is responding to audible instructions and probably not looking for photographers.

The biggest hazards lie within the pit stall you're working. Hoses around your feet, flying tires or crew members on the move. Typically, if you're in someones way, the good guys will firmly grab your shoulders and take you out of their way. It's surprisingly unoffensive and easily understood. No one wants to affect the outcome of a team's day.

JT

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:03 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Good info JT, thanks. I have always tried to make sure that I am looking down pit lane with the cars coming toward me, but have never shot active pits stops etc...good info to know if I ever get the chance...

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:06 AM
mawyatt

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Nice shots. I missed Sebring this year (travel & work), made it the past few years. Great place for sports car race fans. Next year should be very interesting with the combining of GrandAm and ALMS....hopefully I'll be able to attend Sebring 2014! Report is Porsche will have a P1 hybrid for LeMans, maybe they'll bring it to Sebring.

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:27 AM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

mawyatt wrote:
Nice shots. I missed Sebring this year (travel & work), made it the past few years. Great place for sports car race fans. Next year should be very interesting with the combining of GrandAm and ALMS....hopefully I'll be able to attend Sebring 2014! Report is Porsche will have a P1 hybrid for LeMans, maybe they'll bring it to Sebring.

There is no LMP1 class slated for the United Sportscar Racing Series...

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:31 AM
mawyatt

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:32 AM
dankopp
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Great shots. I also like that you are using "old" equipment. Makes me wonder about all of the equipment lust (Iam as guilty as the next guy).

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

A short, but filled story told. Really great images. I didn't want them to end.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:37 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

dankopp wrote:
Great shots. I also like that you are using "old" equipment. Makes me wonder about all of the equipment lust (Iam as guilty as the next guy).

I'm not sure the 7D would be classified as old... , but it's a poor workman that blames his tools. There are many photographers that came long before us shooting much better and working with far less. Too many people treat photography as an equipment hobby.

"What stands between you and greatness lies between your ears, not in your equipment bag."

JT

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:16 PM
RolfJ
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Absolutely wonderful set! Thank you for these.

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:23 PM
AussieTimmeh

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Fantastic images, really inspiring stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:56 PM
John Thawley
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

Thanks for the kind words!

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:39 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sebring 12 Hour - 2013

WOW! You are a master of the craft, Sir!!!!

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:23 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.