Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

UsseryG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

Hello guys-n-gals!

I set up my speedlites and some modifier in our bedroom and begged Ashley to pose for me, you know, with her clothes removed. After enough pleading, she gave in! This is my very first indoor session with my lights and modifiers. I shot about a ton of photos, and these four are the ones that made the cut.

I am looking for C&C, primarily with composition, lighting and post processing.

Ashley Implied by Gary Ussery, on Flickr

And then Cola the kitty wanted to pose too! (Just a fun out-take)

Number 3 and 4 are my absolute favorite. I love love love those two!

Thanks folks!
Gary

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:46 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

Not sure why she took her clothes off. Nothing showing here and pretty safe for work too.

#1. A centered symmetrical pose is a good choice here. The shadow on the right side is not needed.

#2 Nice one. The covers are busy in this shot.

#3 I like this one. I'd crop the bottom. Lot's of UN-needed bed real estate at the bottom.

#4 Don't care for this one. It's the cut off elbows and the large amount of ruffled bed covers that detract. There's bare skin down there too, but it's easy to not notice it. On the plus side, the expression and facial area is well done. In fact all the faces are well lit in this series.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

No. 3 is very nice, her expression looks like she has relaxed a little.
Douglas

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:12 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #4 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

Thanks guys!

Jim,

Thanks for the observations. I don't know how the shadow in #1 got past me, I didn't even see it! I must have been blinded by other aspects of the picture.

The rest of your observations I actually agree with and will watch out for next time. I didn't like the cut off elbows of number 4, but I absolutely love everything else in it.

Would cropping out the bottom of number 3 leave it at a funny crop? That was my main reason for not cropping it out.

Gary

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:06 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

The shadow on the right side of #1 looks to me like a shutter curtain -- meaning (if I'm right) you were at a faster shutter speed than the strobe would sync to. I keep it between 1/160 and 1/200 to be safe, although there are technical workarounds to allow sync with faster shutter speeds.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

Here's a friendly suggestion; if these were mine, I might consider reducing the contrast in them, or bumping up the mid tones. Get them a bit brighter and a bit softer, and then pay close attention to minor details, especially in the skin.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:18 PM

Inga
• • •
p.1 #7 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

ChiShutter wrote:
The shadow on the right side of #1 looks to me like a shutter curtain -- meaning (if I'm right) you were at a faster shutter speed than the strobe would sync to. I keep it between 1/160 and 1/200 to be safe, although there are technical workarounds to allow sync with faster shutter speeds.

I was wondering when someone was going to point this out. It looked to me like the shutter curtain was creeping into the shots. It says 1/200th on your flickr EXIF, so next time have a look at limiting your shutter speed to 1/160th or do some testing against a bare wall before your next shoot.

Good luck with future shoots.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

UsseryG wrote:
Thanks guys!

Jim,

Thanks for the observations. I don't know how the shadow in #1 got past me, I didn't even see it! I must have been blinded by other aspects of the picture.

The rest of your observations I actually agree with and will watch out for next time. I didn't like the cut off elbows of number 4, but I absolutely love everything else in it.

Would cropping out the bottom of number 3 leave it at a funny crop? That was my main reason for not cropping it out.

Gary

Hi Gary
I think cropping the bottom of #3 would be really good. And the shadow shot looks like shutter curtain to me too.

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:59 AM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #9 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

Exposures are good, but finding flattering angles is something that takes practice and thought even when the subject is clothed. Take clothes off and it becomes that much more challenging! #3 is the best IMO.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:10 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #10 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

Inga wrote:
I was wondering when someone was going to point this out. It looked to me like the shutter curtain was creeping into the shots. It says 1/200th on your flickr EXIF, so next time have a look at limiting your shutter speed to 1/160th or do some testing against a bare wall before your next shoot.

Good luck with future shoots.

The batteries may need replacing in the triggers. It's a common side-effect of batteries that are dying.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:44 AM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #11 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

Thanks for the comments, guys! I figured that the flash had outsped the shutter. I shot at 1/200, and the batteries were brand new. I am assuming that this was just a result of cheap triggers. and repeated shooting.

Again, thanks for everyone's comments.

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:19 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #12 · Implied Nudity with the Fiance (May be NSFW) C&C welcome

Nice work on the lighting

In #1, you could think about doing some skin smoothing on her legs (no clothes is quite unforgiving!)

Agree with cropping a bit off the bottom of 3

#4 is my favourite.

The out-take (5) isn't a very flattering angle (up the nostrils a bit), and the left hand is disembodied by the cat (though I know you weren't really posting this one for comment)

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password