Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

JHC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

Hi,

I posted about 6 months ago wondering how well a 5d mk 2 would compliment my 7d...I was all hot and bothered to get a 5d mk 2 but waited when I learned a 6d would be coming out.

The feedback is in this thread.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1163136/0#11090812

I want to get a full frame camera to compliment my 7d body and lenses. The 7d is used for sports and wildlife stuff, band pics of my kids etc. I use the back button center focus and recompose my shot. Frankly, I'm still leanring to use the camera. My manual is dog eared and I'm reading all kinds of stuff and addicted to youtube camera stuff.

We're having a rather important family get together in 2 months. I'd like to get a ff and be comfortable with it before the gathering. I will still bring my 7d so I can have two cameras set-up, and rely on the body I feel most comfortable with for weird shots.

So, I was still leaning on a new 5d mk 2 from B & H. But the prices of the 5 d mk 3 have come down a little and that camera is nearly wifelyconvincedworthy after all my digitalrev youtube pining. Also, the 6d is in the same price range as the 5d mk 2.

Actually, I think I will be happy with any of them. You guys have posted some awesome pics with your setups. So, I think I really just would be happy with the camera that worked most similar to the 7d for the learning curve.

So, for a full frame with controls similar to the 7d (and ideally with shared batteries and cards) which would be the best for center focus (thumb button with front shutter release) family pics in my situation? 5d mk 2 (I favor this one now), 5d mk 3 (still takes some spousal buy in), or 6d?

-John

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:10 AM
yinlij

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

If you don't want to sell 7d and/or buy a 5dmk3, between 5dmk2 and 6d at the same price, 6d is generally a better camera, especially at high ISO performance. I have used both of them and personally preferred 5dmk2 in skin tone rendering and manipulation.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

The 5d2 and 6D use the old style AF points and their outer points are pretty much useless in anything but very good daylight. The 5D3 has an AF system much like your 7D only much better.

Seems the 6D has the -3ev cross-type center point with 3 crosses, the 5D3's center point is -2ev with 4 crosses and has other points that have the same cross-type functionality sans the -2ev.

You get the 5D3 for it's AF, soon to be; AF at f8 and full HDMI out for video, 2 card slots, 100% viewfinder, stereo headphone jack, better build, etc...

A slight edge in IQ goes to the 6D but it's not by much; a quote from FM, it's lighter weight, has wifi n gps built in...

If you like, fully use the 7D's AF system, the 5D3 is your better body just because of the AF, from what I've read it's near as powerful as the 1DX.

Any of your listed bodies would be fantastic...

Jerry

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

Sell your 7D and get the 5D3. Or keep both if you have the money. For sport and wildlife you need really good AF

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:05 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

The mk3 is almost identical in controls with better performance in relation to the 7. The only of these I haven't owned is the 6, but I find I prefer similarity in controls etc when switching between bodies. I don't like having to concentrate on controls; I want to pay attention to subject and composition not which dial is where. I liked the complementary capabilities of the mk2 and the 7, although being limited to the center point could get frustrating.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:03 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

Get the 5D III even if you have to wait a bit. It's more like the 7D and more capable than the other FF options mentioned.

EBH

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:44 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

I never saw the need for the 6D but I am sure it's a very fine camera. I have the 7D and 5D Mk II. I have used the Mk III and it is truly a very nice camera, second only to the 1D x, in my opinion.
Someday I will upgrade my 5D2 to the 5D3, someday!
But for now the 7D and 5D2 duo makes a real good combo. One shines where the other is lacking and vice versa.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

If you use the 5DII center point, it will focus just fine. I have shot sports and wildlife with my 5DII and the only draw back was the fps.

A lot of advice on this forum is to buy the latest and the best; but, do you really need it?

You are contemplating spending a fair amount of money. Rent some equipment from Lensrentals.com and buy what is best for YOU.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

I have all the cameras you are discussing except the 6D. Looking at your profile you have a fine set of lenses and since your emphasis seems to be on wide, you would benefit greatly from a FF camera. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the alternatives. So the trade-offs are cost, weight, and where you want to end up.

The 6D is a bit lighter than the 7D, the 5D2 about the same, and the 5D3 1/4 lb. more. The center focus point on the 5D2 is IMHO better than any of the 7D focus points but the 7D outer focus points are better than the 5D2's. Probably the same for the 6D. The 5D3 is new to me but so far the focus system is as good as everyone says. The IQ I get from my 5D2 is much better than I get from my 7D and this will go for the other FFs as well. You just can't beat big pixels.

If your goal is to end up with two bodies then pick the one you can afford. If you want just one, trade the 7D for the 5D3. Add a 1.4x teleconverter if you think you might be reach limited with your 70-200. This is the route I'm taking.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

If you are going to keep the 7D for sports and wildlife, I'd get either a 6D or a 5D2. Between these 2, the 6D ISO performance is so much better in addition to having GPS and wifi, I'd lean heavily towards the 6D.

If you get a 5D3, I don't think you will be touching your 7D that much anymore...despite a 1.6x advantage for wildlife.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

Also don't forget that the 5D MkIII will be getting a Canon firmware upgrade in April, so this will add a little bit of benefit.. .http://usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024806daf9c

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM
JHC
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

"I understand that my order will ship after B&H reopens on Wednesday, April 3rd"

Done - 5dmk3 on the way.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

-John

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:14 PM
beretta
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

You wont be disappointed with the 5D MK3.
I was in the exact same dilemma abut a month ago.
My friend loaned me his for a couple of weeks. The 7D is now gone and I own a 5d Mk3 and don't miss the 7d at all. I do miss 8 fps a little bit but everything else makes up for it buy a long way.

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:44 PM
esanchez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

Which camera would you guys add to a 5D mark III as a compliment... I have a 5D 1 also but want a newer second body. 7D, 60D, or anything else out there?

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:36 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

esanchez wrote:
Which camera would you guys add to a 5D mark III as a compliment?...

I'm not a pro but I like having two bodies when weight is not an issue, so to add to my post above, I will end up with a 5D2 and 5D3. I'll have my 24-105 on the 5D2 (this combo has served me well these last three years) and the 100-400 (with or w/o 1.4x as necessary) on the 5D3. Switch the 5D3 to 17-40 or macro as needed. When traveling by air the 5D3 will do it all to my satisfaction and I have a G1X as supplement with underwater housing. I've traveled with 5D2 + G10 this way and the newer bodies are only better.

There are some trade-offs replacing the 7D with a 5D3, on the 7D all points are cross type, on the 5D3 with that lens only the center group of focus points are cross type. Adding a 1.4x will reduce the AF point to center only (after the firmware update) and cost me a stop in ISO but equal the pixels per duck. And 6 fps vs 8 fps. But all in all seems like a good move to me.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:27 PM
dontbsme_2
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

update this post after receiving your MarkIII, I hardly shoot wide, so im not sure if I want to go FF, or just buy a 1DIV, i'm always FL limited...

thanks John

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:57 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

The biggest grief with 6D when trying to pair with 7D or 5Dm2 or 5Dm3 are the memory cards - you'd need to get separate, non-interchangeable set of SD cards just for 6D. That's extra cost you have to calculate into your purchase.

But since you got 5Dm3, that's not an issue :-)

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:01 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

G-Gore wrote:
The biggest grief with 6D when trying to pair with 7D or 5Dm2 or 5Dm3 are the memory cards - you'd need to get separate, non-interchangeable set of SD cards just for 6D. That's extra cost you have to calculate into your purchase.

But since you got 5Dm3, that's not an issue :-)

Extra cost? Are you aware of how many sim cards he could buy with the price difference between a 5diii and 6d?

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:05 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

RogerC11 wrote:
Extra cost? Are you aware of how many sim cards he could buy with the price difference between a 5diii and 6d?

Plenty... but do you know how much PITA is to carry two separate card holders during a wedding, and when you need to swap quickly before next crucial moment of the event, and it turns out you don't have the right holder with you? It's all about simplicity.

Mar 25, 2013 at 09:58 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5dmk2 vs 5dmk3 vs 6d from a 7d user?

G-Gore wrote:
Plenty... but do you know how much PITA is to carry two separate card holders during a wedding, and when you need to swap quickly before next crucial moment of the event, and it turns out you don't have the right holder with you? It's all about simplicity.

Who said anything about weddings? OP is taking photographs of his family.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.