Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

All the ones for the Olympics were handmade. A factory has to be created to mass produce them and test those coming out of production line, that all takes time. Maybe late summer was a date I heard.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

Pixel Perfect wrote:
People get blaze about pricing.

Yes, high prices set their tempers ablaze with disgust.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM
ggreene
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

rscheffler wrote:
As I think I posted in a previous 200-400 thread, back in September I was at an NFL game where an SI photographer was shooting with a 200-400. While I didn't get to handle it, I did quiz him briefly about it. His opinion was that it was sharp and that everyone will buy one. By "everyone" I interpret him to mean field sports photographers.

I would agree and is probably why Canon can price this however they want. Buyers in the top end market are not going to care if the 200-400 sells for $10K or $18K. They will get it because it is going to increase their chance to get a cover shot.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

PetKal wrote:
Yes, high prices set their tempers ablaze with disgust.

I can't even spell ACDC

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:06 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #5 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Pull the other one, it yodels. People get blaze about pricing. I'll bet if it's $10K it'll be called a bargain (or is that realistically priced) by a quite a few people.

Anybody that puts any faith in what a sales rep says is a bit naive.

Pull your what that yodels? Let me repeat: "I'll take info from a Canon rep over internet speculation... that is until the lens is released and we have the price in print..." What I also wrote earlier is that a different Canon rep told me the lens would be north of the 600 ii price. Do I believe him, or do I believe the rep who told me the lower price? No, I don't believe either of them, but I do HOPE the second rep is right Naivety is believing speculating forumtographers who don't work for Canon. Blaze that as you will

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM
bigrob

p.3 #6 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

In the UK where Football/Soccer is the main sport I can't see too many pro photographers switching to the 200-400.

The 400/2.8 reigns supreme and is nearly always shots at f/2.8 to keep the shutter speed up during winter.

At a photography show a few weeks ago I was in the CPS 'tent'. They had one attached to a 1Dx.

The main rep said that they were making some changes after feedback from the Olympics but that he expected a release in a few months.

Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt but it sounds promising for those that are waiting for it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #7 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

bigrob wrote:
In the UK where Football/Soccer is the main sport I can't see too many pro photographers switching to the 200-400.

The 400/2.8 reigns supreme and is nearly always shots at f/2.8 to keep the shutter speed up during winter.

At a photography show a few weeks ago I was in the CPS 'tent'. They had one attached to a 1Dx.

The main rep said that they were making some changes after feedback from the Olympics but that he expected a release in a few months.

Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt but it sounds promising for those that are waiting
...Show more

Agreed. I have a friend who shoots Premiership rugby, mostly under floodlights, with a D4 and 500 f/4 VR (He's primarily a nature shooter so has the 500mm instead of a 400 2.8). He shoots with Getty photographers who all have have 1DX's and 400 2.8' ii's. They told him they all shoot wide open all the time. The thing is, agencies and freelance sports shooters already have their workhorse lenses. I can't see any of them selling 400 2.8's for this zoom unless the price and performance are very "right". For those of us currently without a supertele, but in the market, it's still an option until the price proves otherwise... or not.

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.3 #8 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

Roland W wrote:
...One of my main uses would be for air shows, where for me the zoom and built in extender make it a much better choice than any given fixed focal length super telephoto. The problem is that with the budget cuts, the chances of any good air shows with Military jet performers happening this season are very small, and the long term future of good air shows is also in question. That makes this lens much less valuable to me, and I may decide to cancel my long standing pre-order. On the other hand, if the delay continues long
...Show more

Everything I've read about the 200-400 is that it's not lightweight, so unless you stay put at an airshow, I just cannot see lugging that around. I shoot air shows with a 400 DO and a 70-300L... great relatively portable kit!

I'm partial to shows which feature the Blue Angels and the T-Birds... so I'm pretty sure I won't be shooting them this year. One the other hand, if you're fortunate to live in Canada or the UK, the CAF Snowbirds as well as the RAF Red Arrows should still be performing, and both are superb flight teams. And the Snowbirds venture down to the US periodically too...

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

Bones74 wrote:
I know there are conflicting price estimates on the net and from Canon reps. One told me last month it would be well north of the 600 ii price and another earlier this month at a trade show told me it would be close to the 500 ii price. I guess we just have to wait/see

The delay is annoying though, because I want to buy a super tele and I consider the 200-400 a viable option if the price is right.

Even thats too high a price. Should be $7500 tops.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #10 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

Sneakyracer wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, mainly because I want to buy one I think we just have to wait and see. It would be nice though, if they could end the speculation and just tell us so we can plan ahead.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

I would be very surprised if the price will only consist four digits.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

Yakim Peled wrote:
I would be very surprised if the price will only consist four digits.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Maybe, four zeroes.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

I'll pass. I am waiting for these lenses instead:

400 DO II
800L II or 800 DO
50 f/1.0 II

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:34 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.3 #14 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

Sneakyracer wrote:

Nikon's version is $6800. I have a feeling that integrated 1.4x TC is going to add a lot more the $700 to the price.

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · Possible reason the 200-400/4 1.4x is delayed

jcolwell wrote:
Maybe, four zeroes.

Likely.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:21 PM
1       2