New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Should I keep 50L

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Should I keep 50L

I can't see another way (except sell the 35L) now that you have pulled the trigger. Really too bad as you will take a hit on re-sale and you really only need $500+/- after the sale of the 1.4 to cover the gap. I wouldn't sell my 50L to cover a $500 gap on the purchase of a specialty lens, but I shoot 50 the most.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:21 PM
swldstn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Should I keep 50L

I have the 50L and a 50mm f/1.4 sigma that is right on from a focus point of view and ther are times I go to the Sigma to get an in focus shot between 1.4 and 2.0 . For reasons I haven't solved yet I can miss on the 50L more times. It's gotten better with my 5D III but..

If your not in love with 50L then trade it out but consider putting the money to an 85L then.its my favorite from a performance point of view and with kids you'll be taking portraits their entire life. Also, it lets you standoff in a room and get wonderfull isolated shots of people.

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:08 PM
mikesjo
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Should I keep 50L

Get rid of the 50L and put it towards the 85 1.2 (that's a magical lens!). The 50 1.4 serves my needs well (I find myself reaching for the 35L more often).

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:47 PM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Should I keep 50L

I had same feelings many times. It was too expensive for what it does, or too big, or too heavy. I even got Nikkor 50/1.2 with adapter and to be honest it was very close to 50L but with no AF. Since then, every time I has similar feelings I snap in on, set it up at F/1.2 walk around house or neighborhood, take 10-20 shots and than enjoy the great bokeh, sharpness (my 3th copy is sharp) and soon my doubts are gone.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:58 PM
mspencer1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Should I keep 50L

I love my 50 1.2 and its one of my most used lenses on my 5DIII.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:00 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Should I keep 50L

yinlij wrote:
I definitely love 50L. I could see its improvement over 50/1.4 easily but the improvement is marginal. The photos taken by 50L have better contrast and slightly better out-of-focus.

If I'd think this way about a lens I would definitely not sell it.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:02 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Should I keep 50L

Try forcing yourself to use the 50L and only the 50L for a day trip. If you don't fall in love with it by the end of the day or aren't completely happy with the results you have 2 options 1) practice technique to change the way you take photos to accommodate the lens or 2) sell it off and enjoy your financial windfall.

Neither is the wrong choice.

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Should I keep 50L

Lens selection is a VERY personal choice so I can only speak for myself. I love the 50L. But, I have liked the 50mm focal since I started photography about 27 years ago. I actually have three 50mm Canons. The 50L the 1.4 and the macro. Since buying the L I no longer use the 1.4 even when im in the studio @ f8.

I, like most here have read the lens reviews, specially the photozone.de ones. It says that the 50L is only good at the center etc etc and that its junk for the price. In real world usage that is some horse poo. The lens is fantastic. I have shot hundreds of portraits with the lens. One thing the tests don't tell you is that the AF in the L is MUCH better than the one in the 1.4 and that the 1.4 af is very inconsistent even with the newer Canons (I use the 5D3). And, at 1.4 the L is just much better. Also, at any aperture the L just produces images which look different and better imho. (Color, micro contrast etc). For people, the L is superb. Im sure that for architecture and landscape on a tripod someone might find the edges not great but that is not what the lens is for. (who shoots landscapes and architecture at f1.2~f2?)

I had the 85L and sold it due to inconsistent AF performance also but optically its a fantastic lens. But for kids or more fast paced work the 85L will be frustrating with its slow AF. Its great when focus hits but for that its best to slow down a bit to nail it consistently.

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:09 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Should I keep 50L

I find the 50L to be very underrated! Granted it does have its AF issues etc. but borrowed this lens from my friend over the weekend to test it out, here's some photos from a 50L noob:

http://www.clartephoto.com/img/s8/v79/p1511438366-4.jpg

I placed an order for it despite having 35 and 85!

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:34 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Should I keep 50L

Don't under estimate the performance of the 100L. It is a very fine lens and I'm sure you'd find yourself putting it to work more than you think..

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:55 PM
sqdstf
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Should I keep 50L

form wrote:
I couldn't go back to canon or sigma 50 f1.4 now that I have been using 50l for a while. Too much of an improvement in overall look of photos, besides contrast/sharpness.

THIS !

Apr 01, 2013 at 08:29 PM
rrxjon
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Should I keep 50L

I agree w/ Dewel Ye 50L is underrated, (nice pic by the way) wonky focal plane and all. Learning curve. F2 is safe. I knew I wanted one after a mere couple hundred frames. Great w/ colors/textures from subtle to smooth, from coarse to neon. Pretty good in natural, mixed, even bad light. It will always surprise you (and not always in a good way), but surprise, for me, is kin to discovery.

Apr 01, 2013 at 09:19 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Should I keep 50L

Dawei Ye wrote:
I find the 50L to be very underrated! Granted it does have its AF issues etc. but borrowed this lens from my friend over the weekend to test it out, here's some photos from a 50L noob:

http://www.clartephoto.com/img/s8/v79/p1511438366-4.jpg

I placed an order for it despite having 35 and 85!

One can clearly see why you fell in love with it.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.