New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

seanoc
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

I recently bought a Sigma 105 OS on the buy/sell forum. The lens seems super sharp but I noticed that when I tell the 1DX to use only cross sensor focus points I only get the center group. If I tell it to use all points I can pick any of the 61 points. When I put other (Canon) f/2.8 lenses on and use cross sensor only mode I can select from the 41 points. Does anyone else have an issue like this with a Sigma f/2.8 lens on the 1DX? Do you think my lens is faulty?

Sean

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

That's normal when using macro lenses. If you read the Canon AF guide for the 1DX you can see that. Check the guide how many AF points you can use with macro lenses compared to other lenses with the same aperture, and you will see it's normal.
The Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM will be an Group E lens that give you the 21 central cross points

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM
seanoc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

Thanks Lars. It appears that the 100L Macro is considered a Group C lens but the older Canon 100 Macro is group E. I guess the 1DX trasts the Sigma like the older Canon 100. I'm photographing cats up close and not having the extra twenty cross point available is a bit of a setback when trying to focus quickly on the eyes. I may have to drop the Sigma and get the 100L. Am I missing something? Is my interpretation correct?

Sean

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

I don't have the AF guide here at this moment (I'm abroad) but I belive you are right. But use all 61 AF points instead of only the cross. Those other points are also good. And I'm sure they will work on the cat eyes.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

seanoc wrote:
Thanks Lars. It appears that the 100L Macro is considered a Group C lens but the older Canon 100 Macro is group E. I guess the 1DX trasts the Sigma like the older Canon 100. I'm photographing cats up close and not having the extra twenty cross point available is a bit of a setback when trying to focus quickly on the eyes. I may have to drop the Sigma and get the 100L. Am I missing something? Is my interpretation correct?

Sean

Yep, I think that are correct. I was also a bit surprised the first time I used the 100mm Macro USM until I checked the manual.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:34 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

I belive the reason for this is that even if it's a f/2,8 lens. It will not be f/2,8 when you are very close and shoot at minimum focus distance.

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:11 AM
seanoc
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

Thanks to all, this forum is great. I guess I'm going to keep the Sigma instead of switching to the 100L. The sharpness is really great and the focusing seems pretty fast (for a macro).

Sean

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

seanoc wrote:
Thanks to all, this forum is great. I guess I'm going to keep the Sigma instead of switching to the 100L. The sharpness is really great and the focusing seems pretty fast (for a macro).

Sean

Did you get the sigma at a good price ?

I was looking at one but it seems tobe nearly as much as the 100L over here, so the L is a no brainer really . Even stranger to see the new Tamron 90 VC costs more than the L . I know the Tamron 90 has always had a great reputation (I'm sure the new one carries that one) but Im not sure its enough to be more than the L

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

Wow. Weird pricing.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
seanoc
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

I got the Sigma in a trade plus cash deal for my 135L. I figure it cost me about $675-$700 based on what I expected to sell the 135 for.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Focus question: 1DX with Sigma 105 OS Macro

galenapass wrote:
Wow. Weird pricing.

Yeah tell me about it.

Examples all from WEX

100L £689 or £609 with cash back
105 OS £549
90VC £629 . Listed as an RRP of £929

I'm sure the other day I looked and the Tamron was over £700 . But even so and without the cash back on the canon it still by far the best value

If either of the 3rd party options were nearer £400 (or at least under £500) then they would look a whole lot more attractive

Edit: I just looked at bh and see the sig and Tamron are about $750 and the canon (after adding it to my cart) is $899 .
So a bigger difference but I think I'd still be inclined to the canon for the 150 buck diff

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.