Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

goaliejake22
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

Hello FM community-

I asked the POTN community this question, but thought I would see what you all think/what your perspective is.

The question that I'm trying to discern is which camera (or cameras) I should keep as I continue with my photography hobby.

I have been shooting with a 5d classic and 40d, but recently I found a good deal on a 1d3 so I decided to buy it in thinking I'll sell the classic and 40d to make up for it. I've used the 1d3 a bit, and it certainly is great focusing/tracking.

As to what I shoot- I shoot sports for a blog on my school, but then aside from that I focus on portraits, and even have a couple of weddings lined up for the summer. But my main thing is portrait type stuff.

I guess I am wondering if it is better to keep the two bodies, so I'll be set for the wedding/etc. or use the 1d3 and sell the other two, which may be the 'all around' best body.

My lenses are 24-105 f4l, 70-200 2.8 IS v. 1, 35 f2, 50 1.8, then a couple flashes. (Side note- wondering about having 24 as widest lens on 1.3 sensor.)

(P.s. financially I was stretching it with the 1d3 in the first place, so I think if I kept that I wouldn't be able to keep either of the others).

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:37 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

Mmm, personally I would seriously consider selling the 40D and finding a 2ndhand 7D in mint condition - but the price must be low because new they are selling for $950 - but even then the FPS gain is minimal. Tough call.

Edited on Mar 24, 2013 at 03:44 AM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:43 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

How about just selling the 40d? The 5d and 1diii make a great combo especially for what you do. If you are going to be doing weddings, you need to have at least 2 bodies.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:43 AM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

I was in the same situation, with a 40D and 5D. I added in the 1D MIII and loved it. It clearly is in a different class. I would say go for it, they are a steal at the low price they are going for now. The only downside I see is that the L-plate interferes with the handling of the body much more that the bodies you have now because of the battery configuration. That is a relatively small issue though. I agree that the 5D and 1DMIII make a nice combination, if you can afford it go for that pair. If money is tight, the 40D's are bringing so little used these days that it might serve the backup role.

Edited on Mar 24, 2013 at 04:36 AM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:13 AM
goaliejake22
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

haha, thanks guys! The 1diii and 5d would be the best choice certainly... I just am not really in the financial place to keep the combo of them both. Hmm... I could always hold 'em until the absolute last minute that I need money. hmm.

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:19 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

I had a 5D (classic) and 7D, and bought a 1D Mark III. I was shooting baseball today with the 1D with a 300, and the 7D with a 70-200 and for the first time added my 5D as a remote camera. Why not, I thought. What's the worse that could happen, I get a few extra shots.

It was fun.

If I had to lose one, it would be the 40D. Keep the full frame and the pro body.

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:54 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

If your main shooting is portraits and weddings, you need a full frame--if this is where you make $ you cant get rid of 5d and not replace it with another full frame--Either sell the 40D and have 5d/1dmkiii or dont buy 1dmkiii.

I have both 5d classic and 1dmliii and its a great combo. I don't ever use the 1dmkiii for portraits or landscapes for that matter. Exceptionally great for sports and action.

Mar 24, 2013 at 05:07 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

5D / 1DIII makes a potent duo.

Shooting a wedding without a backup would be a mistake.

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:39 PM
goaliejake22
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

I agree with you that I need a backup... I wouldn't shoot a wedding without one... It's just a matter of which one

I would love to keep the 1diii/5d. I just am not sure its the wise $ choice.

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

If you have two weddings lined up use that money to make the 1d3/5d combo work. I don't see the problem

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:10 PM
CSStevens
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

sivrajbm wrote:
If you have two weddings lined up use that money to make the 1d3/5d combo work. I don't see the problem

This!

I use a 1D4/5d2 combo - great for most stuff but I do a fair amount of sports and that's the only time my 5d2 isn't used at much. Thinking of buying a third body so I have two fast cams, probably a 1D3...

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

Question for any/all. When buying a used 1d3, what do you do to confirm the focus issue has been addressed? What I mean by that is, is there are few simple tests or shots in certain settings that are likely to indicate whether there is a focus issue with a specific body?

I am picking up a 1d3 this weekend from a guy, he has had it since new. It has been sent in for a general service and a recent Canon shutter count documentation (only 30K shots). I obviously don't want a bad body that has the focus issue, which I know is a true problem and not just assignable to photographer error.

So any tricks to check when picking up the camera to make sure things work fine?

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

The 1D3 is a better camera than either the 5D or the 40D. I'd rather keep the 1D3 and get rid of the other two, if it came to that!

Either keep the 1D3 solo for now, or figure a way to keep your 5D too.

kzoockof -- Canon seems to be taking care of AF issues with the 1D3 into perpetuity, or at least as long as they service that model. If you find it has AF problems just send it in with explanation. It's especially easy if you are a CPS member, contacting them and sending it in via CPS.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your 1D3!

As Jim Colwell responded recently when I said I couldn't imagine getting rid of my 1D3, "Until you get a 1D4!"

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Rytr
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

I had the 1DIII, 5Dc, and 40D. I upgraded recently to 6D and 70D.
The 40D is still a good camera but will not bring much on the used market so I gave it to my daughter.
The 5Dc is still an excellent FF. I have it in for servicing and probably will sell it.
The 1DIII? I would not give up my 1DIII!!! Well, maybe for a 1DIV if only I could afford it.

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

Gunzorro wrote:
The 1D3 is a better camera than either the 5D or the 40D. I'd rather keep the 1D3 and get rid of the other two, if it came to that!

I agree.

OTOH, if you think again, you might find a way to keep the 5D. Maybe it fell off the table...

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:10 AM
ahender
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

I hope your mkIII works out for you. I almost pulled the trigger on one this past weekend only to find out I would have been the 4th owner in the past 5 months. I ran away as fast as I could!

Edit: (Forgot who I was replying to...)

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:40 AM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

Once you use a 1 series there is no going back. Absolutely keep the 1D Mk III a fantastic camera. Get rid if the 40D, not even in the same world compared to a 1 series.
But the 5D is not going to bring you a great deal of money. Plus the market for a 5D is pretty limited. So, I think I would hold on to it also, if possible.
I shoot lots of weddings and I use a 1D Mk II, 1D Mk III and a 5D Mk II.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Keeping a 1d3 or..?

Keep the 1d3, sell the other cameras. The 1d3 is a considerably better camera than either of those, it will do everything you want & need, from weddings to indoor sports.

May I suggest that you also dump the 24-105L and replace it with the 17-40L to give you some wide angle capability with your 1d3? I think that would give you an overall great package of camera and lenses for just about everything you say you need.

The only Canon cameras that I would consider instead of a 1d3 would be a 5d3, 1dIV, 1ds3 or 1dx. You've got the best you can afford.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password