Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 3 for C & C

HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 3 for C & C

My daughter was kind enough to put up with my constant adjustments today. Last time I posted a portrait here I was told it was very under exposed, however it looked fine on my monitor. Beginning to wonder if I don't need to upgrade. Please let me know how these look and thanks for your input.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:13 AM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 3 for C & C

Lighting is good, not underexposed here. She's got a bit of a shiny face so lots of light reflections off of her. You don't like her looking into the camera, huh?

Nice shots!

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:06 AM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #3 · 3 for C & C

friscoron wrote:
Lighting is good, not underexposed here. She's got a bit of a shiny face so lots of light reflections off of her. You don't like her looking into the camera, huh?

Nice shots!

Haha! Evidently I don't! I went back and looked and nearly every pic I had her looking off into the great unknown. Wow, how do I miss these things?

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:59 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 3 for C & C

Not underexposed on my monitor. I agree with previous comments.

I also can't quite make out the point of focus. Especially in 1 it looks like her face is slightly oof. Also, because of the slight distortion you are getting from shooting a relatively wide angle her leg closest to the camera looks huge in comparison to her body which isn't a nice look. The perspective makes it look like she is leaning back and makes me feel awkward when looking at the image.

2 would be much much better if she was looking at the camera and engaging with the viewer. In this studio setting there's no reason for her to not be looking at the camera. In an outdoor or environmental shoot it might work as it could lead the viewer to question what she's looking at but in this instance just get her to engage with the camera. She has a wonderful smile so get people more drawn into that.

3 is the best I would say. But again, just wish she was looking at the camera. Lighting is nicely done, and I would be inclined to add a little more vignette to this image as is more apparent in 2.

Overall, your composition in all 3 shots is strong with basic rule of thirds for her face placement. Lighting is generally pretty good, if maybe a little flat and lacking some graduation across her face.

Some good stuff. Biggest point I think is get her to look at the camera and try to get some more light into her lovely eyes.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 3 for C & C

She's a cute girl and a good sport for playing along. I know that can be a tough sell.

I like #2 best of the three, good expression and nice light in her eyes. But I agree that the shine on her skin is something you should work on eliminating.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Stu Scully

p.1 #6 · 3 for C & C

Agree with all of the comments here. I too tend to miss or overlook shiny spots on the face and arms (unless it's large and pure white).

To add one more (camera -related), I see dust spots in #1 and #3 in the upper right of the photos. Easy to clean up in post (might not be enough for a sensor cleaning, just depends on how anal you tend to be).

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 3 for C & C

Quite nice.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:16 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #8 · 3 for C & C

Thank you all for you input. A number of things to work on and improve.

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 3 for C & C

Howdy,

My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

What would I change or do differently? Or is there anything I don't like?

My Suggestion: Work on composition and posing. The three images posted in this set could be improved with different ("better") posing.

As shown, two of the images have a lot of "folded arms and legs" and bulky figure (not her fault) due to the poses chosen.

Look at images 2 and 3. Notice how your POV and the pose have made her lower body look (in these cases LARGE and WIDE). Not good, IMHO.

Now compare images 2 and 3 with how the legs look in image 1. See the difference?

Image 1 looks "stiff" and "formal" despite the informal prop (trunk) and lack of shoes etc.

I prefer the styling in image 1 (lack of scarf) and how her hair appears in image 1.

I hope these QUICK observations help you.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM
ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · 3 for C & C

Good looking portraits, (good looking daughter too!) and the exposures look fine. You shouldn't rely on eyeballing a shot on screen to know if it's exposed properly -- the histogram is accurate, objective, and reliable. Use it!

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:31 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password