Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

redclay92
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

So, I brought a used 1D Mark III it just arrived, and I think it has an infrared filter on it. That's the only possible idea I have. Because the grass and leaves are turning to white.

Do you guys have any ideas, this was a RAW image that I just saved to jpg.

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 07:51 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

WTF . Who sold it to you? . I'm pretty sure that looks like its had some form of IR mod done to it.

If I received that I think it would be going straight back whence it came

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:51 PM
redclay92
• •
p.1 #3 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Fleabay.... This'll be fun. Who the hell would put a IR filter on a 1D Mark III?

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:52 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Have you tried resetting to default all camera settings?

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:52 PM
redclay92
• •
p.1 #5 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Yes, I did. Both the custom functions and the core camera functions.

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:55 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #6 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Is this a raw shot? maybe the color fine tuning is adjusted? It does look very odd. Was there anything mentioned in the auction?

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:25 PM
ange
• •
p.1 #7 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with converting a 1d Mark III for IR, but there is when it comes to selling it without saying anything about it.

I'm totally confused, so pardon me for the dumb question...you bought this 'body', put 'your' lens on it and took this shot? Or did you get it with a lens that has a Hoya r72 (or similar) on it?

If it was body only, this looks to be modded for IR. I did a false color conversion on the image and it came out like all my other IR shots. It's actually a nice piece of IR, but I know that doesn't make you feel better.

Andy

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:10 PM
jaclarkaus
• • •
p.1 #8 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

And I take it that it looks normal through the viewfinder?

Then it's been converted to IR, by the look of it I agree like a R72 which is a shame, as you can bolt one of those on a normal camera and get similar results. Something less restrictive would give you better ability to do false colour. Other than that, severe white balance problem!

Take off the lens, put it on cleaning mode and look at the sensor - if it looks like it has an ND filter in front of it (dark glass) then it's been converted.

Then again, people pay good money for the conversion!

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:52 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

On positive note, it probably doesnt have AA now..

..negative would be that you will need MaxMax to put back regular IR filter.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM
redclay92
• •
p.1 #10 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Looks normal through the viewfinder. With two separate lenses I got this result. Is there any desire for a modded 1D, I would think that any other body would be a better deal.

Yeh, the sensor does have a darker than usual slight red tint to it.

Auction Here

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ange
• •
p.1 #11 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

I don't see where there's any mention of it being modded for IR, so you certainly have a beef. The seller looks to have positive reviews though. Could he have not known this? Let us know what happens when you contact him.

Andy

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM
ange
• •
p.1 #12 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

You know what? I think those Sell it Now Stores are Ebay drop off locations. I'll bet someone brought it in to sell and never said anything about this. If the store doesn't know about cameras, maybe they don't even know about this. Just a thought.

Andy

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Yea I agree with ange it seems seller didnt know about this. Ofc it makes one question reliability of seller that doesnt test camera if it works..

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #14 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

The listing does say "functional" and since it isn't functioning as described (i.e. not modified) then you'll want to look into a return. With the listing not providing details on modification I'd reach out to the seller and if necessary invoke buyer protection.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:59 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Looks like you have an IR converted camera, likely equipped with a 715 nm cutoff filter. Great if you want to have it, not so much if you like to take shots in regular light.....

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #16 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

If a seller doesn't list how many actuations are on a 1D body, I don't even consider buying from them.

Also, if it's a 1D3, they should know if it required the AF fix and if it was done.

Simple stuff.

Edited on Mar 25, 2013 at 01:03 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:16 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #17 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

ange wrote:
You know what? I think those Sell it Now Stores are Ebay drop off locations. I'll bet someone brought it in to sell and never said anything about this. If the store doesn't know about cameras, maybe they don't even know about this. Just a thought.

Andy

I wouldn't wait to make a complaint to the seller before they pay whomever brought it in.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:43 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #18 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Any update on this body? Was it a modified body and did you get a refund etc.?

Apr 03, 2013 at 09:51 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #19 · 1D Mark III Infrared Question?

Here is the same seller with a relisted version of this camera.

It clearly states at the bottom of the page it has an IR filter installed on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-EOS-1D-MARK-III-10-1-MP-DIGITAL-SLR-CAMERA-BODY-PHOTOGRAPHY-CAMERA-NR-/230955840462?

"PLEASE NOTE: THIS CAMERA IS FITTED WITH AN INTERNAL IR FILTER. THIS CAN BE REMOVED BUT IT WILL REQUIRE SOME EXPENSE TO HAVE A PROFESSIONAL REMOVE IT, OR OF COURSE YOU MAY USE THE CAMERA AS IT IS IF YOU WISH TO UTILIZE THE IR FILTER. THANK YOU!"

Apr 03, 2013 at 10:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password