Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Herbgphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

These triggers have been out for a couple months now and I'm wondering if anyone has been using them extensively? Any durability or compatibility issues? I've seen some reviews online but I'm curious to hear from someone that's been using them for longer than a few days.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
24Peter
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1212530

138 pages of posts, you should find all you need to know

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Teper
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Hey, I'm not familiar with the TTL model, but i use the RF 602, and my friend uses RF603 non-TTL triggers with great success. Very reliable, and great wireless ability.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Herbgphoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

24Peter wrote:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1212530

138 pages of posts, you should find all you need to know

Wow, I've got a lot of reading to do! Thanks for sharing that link!

Teper wrote:
Hey, I'm not familiar with the TTL model, but i use the RF 602, and my friend uses RF603 non-TTL triggers with great success. Very reliable, and great wireless ability.

Thanks for the input!

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

I use an RF600TX with 2x RF602RX's - they're great.

Similar to this set up here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yongnuo-RF602-RF-602-2-4GHz-Wireless-Remote-Flash-Trigger-2-Receivers-for-Canon-/200771852568?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item2ebeef5918

But those YN-622C's look great.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM
gene A.
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

I just got home a half hour ago from a Bat' Mitzvah shoot, I shot about 900 exposures using the yongnuo 622c triggers. I mounted the one on the camera between the body and the off camera cord. They worked flawlessly, they fired the remote strobes every time without fail. The real bonus with these units is the focus assist beam on the front which is very powerful and improves the focus speed and accuracy tremendously. It is also strong enough that if I hold a camera over my head to shoot into a crowd I can see what the beam is hitting and center the shot without looking through the viewfinder. I know have six of these units and have not had any problems with them at all. The only downside I can think of is you can not turn off your remote flashes without turning off the on camera flash because if you turn off the yongnuo unit there is no communication between the flash and the camera. Tonight I was using the 622c to trigger some quantum strobes, but they have also worked when firing 580 exII flash units . I would recommend them without hesitation especially when considering the price.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Gene, what do you mean when you say off camera cord? Is this the remote trigger that you are using instead of pressing the shutter button?

This may sound stupid, (actually I know it does) but I was under the impression that you place these on your camera, and the others under your flashes and as you depress the shutter button, they all fire off.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:03 AM
gene A.
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

This is the bracket I use

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675556-REG/Stroboframe_310_800EX_Digital_Pro_T_Flash_Bracket.html

and then I use an off camera cord to attach the flash to the camera like this one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/498744-REG/Canon_1950B001_OC_E3_Off_Camera_Shoe.html

This is done so that whether you shoot vertical or horizontal you can keep the flash directly over the lens so you don't cast odd shadows. The problem with a setup like this is that at close range the focus assist on the flash is sending out a beam which is above what the lens is seeing. Putting the 622c on the body solves this problem, and the focus aassist from the yongnuo is very powerful, much better than the one built into canon flashes.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:30 AM
Herbgphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Thanks again for all the responses.

Gene, that's exactly the kind of experiences I'm looking for. Also, what if you turn off "wireless flash" in the camera menu but leave the transceiver turned on? Will it still fire the on-camera flash but not fire the remotes?

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

I've been eyeballing these for awhile.

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:48 AM
Curtiss Bryant
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

I have a set and they rock. I use them with the 565ex flashes that Yongnuo sells and I am able to control the power and what not from the camera. Perfect for wedding receptions. I use their 560s on camera since I can manually adjust the power from there and then use the wireless function for the reception lights. The AF assist beam is an added bonus, however, I do find that sometimes it doesnt turn off in time and it shows in the pictures :/ But if you dont shoot to fast it goes away.

The other cool thing is that I can use hypersync with my studio strobes (flashpoints). So I can sync up to 1/8000 of a second without the black bar... Granted, the power output is greatly reduced, but it works. You can use HSS if you have a flash that does it (580, 430, 600, or the Yongnuo 568).

The only thing that I dont like is the range. Mine seem to be limited to about 50-60ft whereas my 602s/603s worked over 100... Not a huge issue, but sometimes I want them to be pretty far away for a shot.

Mar 26, 2013 at 08:35 AM
Herbgphoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Curtiss Bryant wrote:
The other cool thing is that I can use hypersync with my studio strobes (flashpoints). So I can sync up to 1/8000 of a second without the black bar... Granted, the power output is greatly reduced, but it works.

That's great news for me because I also have a set of Flashpoint monolights! I just ordered a pair of YN-622c and I can't wait to try them out! How do you like those Yongnuo 565ex flashes? I was thinking of picking up one or two of those or the 568 for the battery pack abilities. How are they for durability. Thanks!

Mar 26, 2013 at 09:14 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Herbgphoto wrote:
...what if you turn off "wireless flash" in the camera menu but leave the transceiver turned on? Will it still fire the on-camera flash but not fire the remotes?

Unfortunately that won't work; even with "Wireless Flash" set to "Disable" the remote flashes still fire. Odd but true.

The good news, though, is that this enables 2nd Curtain Sync to be used on the remote flashes. With "Wireless Flash" enabled, 2nd curtain sync is grayed out as a menu option (at least on my 7D), but with it disabled the choice is selectable and it works fine.

Now I need to do some more experimenting to find out if -- with wireless disabled -- channels B and C are active, and if all the remotes fire at the same power as the on-camera flash or if they retain the last power level set. (The user guide is of no use; it has Yongnuo's typical butchered English for what little information it does cover, and it doesn't cover much.)

[Edit] First question answered: All channels are active even with wireless flash disabled. Now I need to get more batteries so I can test multiple Speedlites to check power level availability.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

I have a set of 6 of those with intention to use 4 strobes during wedding reception controlled by two different bodies.

The easiest way to enable/disable remote strobes is to change group on your on-camera unit. You can also set up your strobes as separate groups and control each one alone or all together also by choosing any combination on your on-camera trigger.

I can also confirm that those triggers fire every time at any distance. To test it I fired my strobes located on 2nd floor of the house while camera was in the basement :-)

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Herbgphoto

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

My set arrived today and I had to test them out. Curtiss had me really curious to try hypersync with my Flashpoint Monolights. They work! This was taken at ISO100, f/2.8 at 1/3200sec with a Flashpoint II 620M at full power. Modifier was a 24" softbox. I'm liking these triggers already!!!!

© Herbgphoto 2013

1/3200sec w/ Flashpoint Monolight

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:01 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

I have them and generally like them. They have a couple of quirks that I'm trying to figure out, but they are very capable and unfortunately, very complicated as well.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:28 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Great tip, thanks!

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Herbgphoto

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Agreed, that "Other" manual is so much better. I read that before I bought them.

One off the wall question, does anyone else's YN-622C smell funny? I'm going to have to air these out for a bit because they really stink. I think it has to do with the inks they use for the manual because that really smells!

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:16 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

Herbgphoto wrote:
...One off the wall question, does anyone else's YN-622C smell funny? I'm going to have to air these out for a bit because they really stink. I think it has to do with the inks they use for the manual because that really smells!

Mine smells the same as any other similar device I've owned. Maybe yours was shipped along side some agricultural products that were fumigated at the receiving port.

Or maybe some kid at the ink factory couldn't "hold it" the day the batch used to print your manual was made.

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:21 PM
gene A.
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone using Yongnuo YN-622C triggers?

G-Gore wrote:
I have a set of 6 of those with intention to use 4 strobes during wedding reception controlled by two different bodies.

The easiest way to enable/disable remote strobes is to change group on your on-camera unit. You can also set up your strobes as separate groups and control each one alone or all together also by choosing any combination on your on-camera trigger.

I can also confirm that those triggers fire every time at any distance. To test it I fired my strobes located on 2nd floor of the house while camera was in the basement :-)

Great idea, I hadn't considered changing groups to disable remote flashes, but that's a perfect solution. Thanks

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.