Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

jbryer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

I have been searching and was about to pull the trigger on the 6D until I realized that it only uses SD cards. Currently my wife and I shoot weddings (around 20 a year) and have a 5D classic and 5D Mark II. I love the mark II for it's high ISO but am hesitant to buy used. As far as I can tell, I probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference between the 6D and 5D II. There is some appeal of us both using the same body, and we already have invested in CF cards. A new 5D II would cost about $200 to $300 more than a new 6D. I am curious to what others opinions are considering my specific circumstances. Thanks in advance.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:29 PM
godfather
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

IMO memory cards are large and cheap right now. They should not be a factor unless your PP workflow is set up for CF only.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Herbgphoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

I went through a similar dilemma some time ago (6D vs 5DII). I went with 5D2 for it's slightly better build quality and faster maximum shutter speed. I also felt that the controls on the 5D2 better suited my hands (6D doesn't have the rear joystick).

Canon has refurbished 5D2 for $1500. http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_214217_-1

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

Ouch, I just noticed the 5D2 price has been creeping up and lots of web dealers are selling it for $2200-2500. I wonder what's up with that? New ones were $1700 or 1800 not too long ago.

Anywho, I'd have a difficult time coping with the extra small QCD and lack of a joystick. My wife has a 60D with similar controls and selecting AF points is a PITA compared to a joystick. However--if you can handle the wee 6D controls--SD cards are so much cheaper than CF I wouldn't consider buying more cards more than a minor issue.

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:00 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

I'd have a 6d for backup but I wouldn't like one as the main camera. I'm just never as sure with ad cards and I don't think 1/4000th would do it for me.. and a smaller camera would suit.

I'd recommend trying one out in a shop

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Al Goldis

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

I don't have either right now but I had a 5D Mark II for years (one of the first available). And I rented a 6D for a week or two. I hear the 5D might be slightly better for video and the 6D flash sync is even slower than the 5D (180th). But if those two things don't affect you I would definitely go with the 6D.

6D controls take a little getting used to but they're fine once you do. I just felt like everything else was better on the 6--AF for sure and even shutter lag. High ISO, too of course, although the 5D is terrific.

I just felt like I could get better images out of the 6D easier than the 5.

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:08 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

SD cards are fine.

IMO 6d is built better than a 5d2.

But 1/4000th ans 1/180 synch could be a wedding issue/

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:42 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

RobDickinson wrote:
SD cards are fine.

IMO 6d is built better than a 5d2.

But 1/4000th ans 1/180 synch could be a wedding issue/

The biggest wedding issue of all is making sure the couple get the photos. Personally I'd never have a massive single card in a camera - I'd want to switch cards during the day. That means taking sd cards in and out. They are far less sturdy. That's where the problem arises.

So IMO, no, sd cards are not fine as the single method of capture. If canon had put two card slots in then you could use a couple of huge cards, which would be completely different.

Ymmv but my view as a professional wedding photographer is that I wouldn't be happy.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

I have a personal preference for the 'handling' aspect of CF over SD, but I've had several (Sandisk / Lexar) CF cards fail over the years whereas as far as I can remember I've yet to have an SD card break on me.

I also have a preference for keeping equipment and accessories the same where possible, so having two 5D2 vs a 5D2 and a 6D would be a benefit in stressful (aka wedding) situations. Having common memory cards is also worth while in my opinion. It's a shame neither of them have dual cards, which is one of the reasons so many wedding photographers moved to the 5D3 (apart from the much better AF of course ).

The differences in power switch position alone was enough to drive me crazy for a while!

Reasons to buy a 6D over the 5D2 (in my opinion) are it's a newer body which will likely hold it's resale value better than a 'new' 5D2 will. As soon as you take the new 5D2 off the shelf it's worth exactly what other 5D2 bodies are going for 'used'. The 6D is also a 2012 or later body, which may or may not mean anything to you going forward with Canon's wireless flash system.

As usual, there is no absolute right or wrong answer, only personal preferences

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:39 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
The biggest wedding issue of all is making sure the couple get the photos. Personally I'd never have a massive single card in a camera - I'd want to switch cards during the day. That means taking sd cards in and out. They are far less sturdy. That's where the problem arises.

The problem is user-bound. It all depends on how you treat them. I'd say if someone breaks a SD card, that person has some issues.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

I've never had a card fail on me. No comment on CD vs SD as both seem to work fine.

And TBH you should be looking at a 5d3 for that reason anyhow.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:53 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

ciprian.trofin wrote:
The problem is user-bound. It all depends on how you treat them. I'd say if someone breaks a SD card, that person has some issues.

Do you do weddings?

When you're in a rush at weddings things happen. That's not a user issue it's a time issue. For example one time I had a lens break on me a few minutes into the first dance but I didn't know if it was the lens or camera so I switched to my backup and another lens.

I needed to do all of that in about 1 minute in near darkness.

If I'd have dropped a card then it wouldn't have been "user error" and I wouldn't have "issues".

People are always so willing to blame the person or the kit. Sometimes it's the situation and there's nothing you can do about it

Anyway you're all welcome to do whatever you want, of course.

Mar 24, 2013 at 05:19 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Do you do weddings?

When you're in a rush at weddings things happen.[...].

You digress: your "issue" was about the less sturdy SD cards and taking them in and out. Of course things happen, but SD-only DSLRs are not less viable just because of flimsy SD cards.

I agree that a dual card system would make the camera safer for events.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:19 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

CF cards are as likely to damage pins as SD cards break I think.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:37 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

I've never had an SD card break... and I keep an extra one in my wallet at all times for emergency situations.

As others have said, don't let CF vs SD be your decider. SD cards are crazy cheap, you can buy a SanDisk Extreme 32gb for around $30 these days.

Now for your question, I shot a 5D2 for 4 months before trading it in for a 6D and I don't regret it for a minute. The low light performance is incredible on the 6D. I really see no benefit to going with the 5D2 over the 6D.

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:20 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

if you love the 5DII for its (IMO) terrible high ISO, the 6D will blow your mind.
Think: using 2.8 lenses and NO FLASH, in ANY LIGHT.

THat, IMO, is reason enough to get a 6D. I wish the AF system was more capable, but the sensor and processing is unbelievable.

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:22 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

Can I ask a serious question: those of you replying say sd cards are fine... How many if you actually do weddings?

I'm honestly shocked if professional wedding photographers would say that sd cards as the main capture medium is ok. Maybe if you're just starting out, but if you're seriously into it ... I just don't get why someone would be happy with that. It's different if they're a backup card but switching sd cards during a wedding would make me nervous.

But to each their own..

Edited on Mar 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

ciprian.trofin wrote:
You digress: your "issue" was about the less sturdy SD cards and taking them in and out. Of course things happen, but SD-only DSLRs are not less viable just because of flimsy SD cards.

I agree that a dual card system would make the camera safer for events.

You misunderstand, but probably I didn't explain well. Not the act of taking them in and out. What happens to them *while* they are out. They can be dropped. Someone could knock you and they could fall underneath someone's shoe etc. These are weddings. They're not landscape shoots or studio shoots etc.

I suspect from this comment that you don't do weddings then?
"but SD-only DSLRs are not less viable just because of flimsy SD cards."

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Can I ask a serious question: those of you replying say sd cards are fine... How many if you actually do weddings?

I'm honestly shocked if professional wedding photographers would say that sd cards as the main capture medium is ok. Maybe if you're just starting out, but if you're seriously into it ... I just don't get why someone would be happy with that. It's different if they're a backup card but switching sd cards during a wedding would make me nervous.

But to each their own..

Well how about I ask you a serious question... have you ever shot with SD cards? You seem to be talking with hypotheticals here. If you're a butter fingers and throwing SD cards everywhere then yes you probably shouldn't have them.

I don't shoot weddings, but that doesn't mean I'm not constantly handling in high stress shooting environments. I'm an adventure travel photographer, so I'm often hiking (sometimes running), shooting, and trying to change cards at the same time. Because I shoot guided tours, I'm not allowed to tell guests to redo things ether, just like wedding photographers.

I've never run into a problem changing out SD cards. Also with a little planning you won't be changing cards in the middle of an important time in the wedding/shoot. I'll change a card out long before it's full if I'm in a short break in action or if I know something big is coming up. Obviously things happen and you can't plan for everything. But basing a camera solely off of the chip it uses is absurd. The chip has nothing to do with image quality, and frankly the 6D has better image quality and low light performance. Which I can see a lot of great uses for low light performance in weddings.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5D Mark II versus 6D for Weddings

Something like that crossed my mind, what's so demanding about wedding photography?

Not that it's not demanding, but after 50.000+ shots with various SD cards of various quality I never missed a shot because of the cards. Now I have 20.000+ shots with a 5D2 and the only thing that strikes me is that CF is unnecessary big providing nothing extra but leaves less space.

On Topic I'd probably go for a 6D due to size. I love the 5D2 handling and IQ, and in practice I do not see any relevant IQ loss compared to either 5D3 or 6D, that would include High-ISO. For better IQ the Sony route is the one to go producing really robust RAWs that can take lots more beating than the CR2's from Canon.

I do only manual lenses (except for two AF: 70-200L and 17-40L that would definetly come in the game for weddings for the fill-in shots). For the crucial ones I'd go for some fast manual ones such as Zeiss 35/1.4, 85/1.4 or 100/2. As the 6D reintroduced the replacable sceen EG-S I'd have that from day one.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password