Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Daybreak

Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Daybreak

This was one from a backpacking trip I took in 2011. I had tired to process it once but didn't have the proper skill set to make it look right and gave up. Well, two years of photoshop practice and lessons later, and I think I have it.

It's a three shot blend, one mostly for the beach and lake, pone for the sky, and one for the lighter areas of sky. Blended using luminosity selections.

What do you think? Also, the story behind the photo is the next post

Daybreak - Steve Perry

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:38 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Daybreak

This was captured on a backpacking trip to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

The waterfall you see in the photo is the final plunge for Chapel Creek before it empties into Lake Superior. It always makes an interesting cut through the sand - but - you just never quite know what path it'll take. Most of the time, it likes to wind off to the right, but a gale force weather event pushed the sand back in, making the new cut anybody's guess.

Even with that wildcard in mind, I decided to use this for my morning location the next day. Additionally I couldn't help but think this little waterfall might be a really cool foreground for some sunlit clouds over the lake at dawn. Of course, if the creek cut the wrong way, it'd be a no-go. With the waves still pummeling the shoreline, I'd have to wait till morning to see if there was actually a shot.

I retired to my tent with raindrops lightly tapping the nylon and grand sunrise images dancing in my head.

The next morning I awoke early and hurried to my spot - and was THRILLED to see the cut in the sand - it was perfect for the image I had in mind. However, the light was nonexistent. Cold, steel grey clouds threatened to ruin the morning's shot.

I knew from painful past experience that at times like this you STILL set up your shot because you never know what's going to happen. I knew the chances of getting a shot were slim, but I stood there in the creek, tripod setup, cable release in hand anyway. I didn't have anything better to do, so why not?

I stood there and watched as the sky grew slightly brighter, but still no real hint of color. I contemplated the gentle waves as they lapped at the shoreline, amazed that just last evening they were viciously attacking the beach without mercy. How quickly things change...

Then it happened - one low hanging cloud intercepted some brilliant red light from a struggling sunrise! My jaw dropped at the scene and I quickly gathered myself and started snapping away. It faded away just as suddenly as it appeared, the whole show lasting under a minute. All I could think was "Thank God I was already set up and ready to shoot!"

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:38 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Daybreak

Steve,
I like this very much. Looks awesome actually.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Daybreak

I like it very much.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Daybreak

Excellent! I really like this.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Daybreak

"were slim, but I stood there" - An act of faith. Way to go, Steve. And what an image you captured here. That red sun looks like its coming like a fireball.
Great comp as well.

Wayne

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Daybreak

Great image Steve. I'd say your photoshop skills are ready for the toughest challenge! The waterfall and its path through the sand leads very nicely to those wildly lit clouds. The only thing that's a little distracting for me is that little jet stream at center bottom. I'd be tempted to clone it out.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Daybreak

Hey Steve,

What a cool shot here, that's a different way to look at a waterfall. Way to go on standing your ground and waiting. I agree with Tuan on cloning out that little bit of white water in the lower right. And one more suggestion, I know that cloud got a blast of color, but I would be tempted to try the image with the red toned down just a little more. It seems so vibrant compared to the rest of the clouds it almost comes across as being pushed too much. I think with all the gray around it, the red doesn't have to be too bright to really stand out.

Jim

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Mike Liu
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Daybreak

wow, very nice. really like the fiery glow in the sky

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM
jviegas
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Daybreak

Fantastic shot, congratulations!

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Daybreak

Very well done Steve.
Harsha

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Daybreak

Your shots are AMAZING !!

Todd

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM
thepip

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Daybreak

Steve, you are a tenacious genius. I love your work. Thanks for sharing.
Regards, Gene P.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Daybreak

Great timing! Gotta love it when nature gives you the goods!

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:11 PM
jbledsoe
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Daybreak

It's excellent and your story supports why I keep all those photos I still have no idea how to properly work in post but hope to someday.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:24 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Daybreak

Love it! Its always good to go back to a tricky shot and process it properly with some new skills isnt it.

As for getting the shot as you've learned its often worth persevering and waiting for the conditions, which may be over in a few seconds...

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:48 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Daybreak

Great capture & timing.

Reminds me of the movie "Independence Day", when the alien ships are coming-in...

Eric

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:39 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Daybreak

Nice capture. But I find the red patch of clouds disturbing... they seem unreal.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Daybreak

Thanks for all the comments and feedback everyone

Also thanks for the feedback on the red spot. First, I promise this is the scene - no trickery, it was really there.

I actually ended up toning it down a bit in post. When I added a bit of contrast to the raw file, the reds went overboard and I actually had to desaturate the them. On most of my calibrated monitors it looks good, on one it looks a bit too red. I'm sure I'll have to tweak it when I go to print.

@Tuan Le & Jim - Yup, that water probalby needs a visit from the cloning tool. I hand't really paid much attention to it, but yeah, I'll have to revise the image next time I have a chance.

Once again, thanks so much for your feedback & comments

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Daybreak

Loving that fireball in the sky: what a moment! Very nicely composed and well processed.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.