Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Canon 600mm II problems

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 600mm II problems

just took delivery of a brand new Canon 600mm II on Thursday. Since i didn't have time to try out this beauty that day, I decided to see how it was on Friday. Well, it seems that i'm having focusing problems with it. I mounted the lens to my tripod and gimbel head and then mounted my 1Dx to it. I focused on an object approx 30' away and took a few shots. They were all soft. I checked the settings on the camera and took more shots of various other objects ranging from 15' - 40' away and had the same problem. I also noticed that when looking threw the view finder i could see that although the camera acheived focus, they were definately out of focus. I started shooting at iso 400 f4 and about 1/320 sec. with the is turned on. After seeing the results, I cranked up the iso to 1600 and f/4. at these settings the shutter speed was between 1\4000sec to 1\6000 sec. I did this to eliminate possibility of camera shake. the photos were still extreamly soft. Then i turned the IS off to eliminate the possibility that the IS wasn't catching up to my shooting and still the same results. Today, i'm going to try it out again with my 1DsMIII and check the results. It they are good today with that camera, i'm going to assume that Canon didn't apply the new firmware update to this lens. If anyone else has experienced these problems with this lens, please let me know what the outcome was. I know i can send it to Canon for repair, but i would really not want to take this course of action since i've had a few absolut horror stories dealing with them in the past.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 600mm II problems

Have you tried the fine tune for AF or is it really far off?

EBH

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 600mm II problems

Try and use contrast detection based AF and see if that cures it, cause then you need to fine tune AF as EB-1 suggest.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:00 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 600mm II problems

Actually I have a playground set up in my back yard for my grandaughter and one of the uprights at the top has a triangular steel gusset plate with 3 bolts and nuts sticking out of it. the spacing between them is approx 1.5". what i tried to do was focus on the first nut\bolt and see weather it was front or back focusing. the unit was approx 10-15 ft from me. everything was soft. then i tried focusing on the middle nut\bolt and had the same results. Finally i tried playing with MA in 5 degree increments both + and - and saw little to no results. I have to add that on occasion it did focus properly. However they were few and far between. I also tried live view and it seem a little better.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:22 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 600mm II problems

Did you check the focus limiter of your lens? It may be set to be limited to 4.5m-16m. Either try "FULL" or 16m-infinity.

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 02:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 600mm II problems

Given that info it isn't clear whether the issue is really related to focusing errors or whether an optical defect might by the cause of the softness. If you can't get it sharp even with manual focus via live view, I suspect the latter, but I have no experience with that lens.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:45 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 600mm II problems

Have you tried resetting the 1DX?

I have the 1DX and 600mm with me right now and it is a big change from a 1D4 and 800mm

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:54 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 600mm II problems

Actually i had the focus limiter set to full and then tried all the other settings to make sure. I really appreciate everyones input, and if there are anyother suggestions out there on what to try, i'de appreciate it. Thanks.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 600mm II problems

Well I think is try contrast AF and manual focus to prove that you can get a sharp image . If you can in that method then at least you know the phase AF is the culprit . If it is then try the 'dot tune' method on those bolts as that will give you an idea of the range you should be in for MA or if its that far out that MA won't help .

Another thing could be the drop in filter . Could it be not in properly which i would guess could screw things up quite a bit (my sigma 300/2.8 HSM can't get infinity focus without the filter in place ) .

But at the end of the day , if I'd dropped that amount of cash on a lens like that I would want it spot on as close to '0' on the MA scale for all distances

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:21 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 600mm II problems

Well just tried it with the 1DsMIII and still doesn't focus properly. Guess the lens is just a defect (figures)!

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dolina
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 600mm II problems

Using your 1DX you can check the firmware of your lens. The firmware of the 600mm with me is 1.1.1

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:41 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 600mm II problems

Canon told me you can"t check through the camera. If you can, where do you see it?

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:47 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 600mm II problems

wcj0, I was able to see the lens firmware version by selecting (camera symbol) firmware ver.

When I brought in my 400/2.8 IS II for its lens firmware to be update it was done using a 5D3 body. It appears that the 1DX is able to do this.

Canon does not want the Series II firmware to be release publicly. I guess they have certain trade secrets that they do not want their competitors to easily dissect.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 600mm II problems

dolina wrote:
When I brought in my 400/2.8 IS II for its lens firmware to be update it was done using a 5D3 body. It appears that the 1DX is able to do this.

Canon does not want the Series II firmware to be release publicly. I guess they have certain trade secrets that they do not want their competitors to easily dissect.

Interesting info, dolina. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:04 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 600mm II problems

found it, goes to show you how much Canon tech support knows! and it is the latest version. Thanks, Jeff

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:04 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 600mm II problems

Well I bought the lens from Beach Camera in NJ. They were always great to deal with and who wants to pay over 1,000 in NY tax. They are closed today and open tomorrow so I'll give them a call and see what they have to say. If they will replace the lens, I'll drive it to them and do an over the counter exchange since shipping would cost me over $350 insured. I live on Eastern Long Island so i figure a 4 hour round trip isn't worth $350. Hopefully they have one in stock. If not and they have to order it from Canon, I'll wait since i really don't want Canon screwing with this. Rather exchange for another one and be done with it. Thanks for all the imput, really appreciate it!

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:09 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 600mm II problems

Stoffer wrote:
Interesting info, dolina. Thanks for sharing.

I was also told that there is a firmware upgrade for the 800mm so it will not malfunction with the 1DX. I was surprised there was one as no announcement was made.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:40 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 600mm II problems

actually the firmware upgrade covers the 400, 500, 600 version II.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:58 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 600mm II problems

wcj0 wrote:
found it, goes to show you how much Canon tech support knows! and it is the latest version. Thanks, Jeff

That's why you have the friendly guys on FM for backup.

I hope you get yours sorted out. I am blissful with what I have right now. Here is a flower shot from the 600 + 1DX. This lens is often not used for such static subjects but it is color red and you know how Canon bodies handle the color red.

Hibiscus by alabang, on Flickr

In the Philippines, the gumamela (local name for hibiscus) is used by children as part of a bubble-making pastime. The flowers and leaves are crushed until the sticky juices come out. Hollow papaya stalks are then dipped into this and used as straws for blowing bubbles.

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:00 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 600mm II problems

wcj0 wrote:
actually the firmware upgrade covers the 400, 500, 600 version II.

It also covers the 300 Series II if I am not mistaken.

For the 800mm firmware for the 1DX it appears to be a silent upgrade. I guess Canon dislikes bad press to be announced publicly.

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password