Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

Do any of these work for you. Subject ;; Shallow Depth of Field. All comment are welcomed. Thank you, Jim

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #2 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

The one of just the flower definitely does! I like it a lot.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:40 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

Ernie Aubert wrote:
The one of just the flower definitely does! I like it a lot.

Thank you.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

I kinda like the third one and the last one.

The King & Queen with the flower background makes me think as if he is giving her flowers ... odd, I know.

Curious at the last one in mono.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:22 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

Kent; Flowers for the Queen was what I was going for. I never thought anybody would git it. I am posting a Mono for you.

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:36 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

I like the card shot but don't feel it creates much in the way of an interesting story beyond the fact the Jack contrasts.

What came to mind seeing your card shot was an "over the shoulder POV" shot where a big pile of poker chips is seen on the table OOF beyond cards held upright with one hand as a a hand inserting the Ace into the hand as if it was just drawn to complete a long shot gamble to win the pot. The addition of the pile of chips in the background would add context which will make the story the photo tells more interesting as would the implied action of drawing the Ace to complete the hand and win the pot seen in the background.

The Chess / Flower shot didn't work for me because the size of the flower dwarfs the chess pieces.

To make the Chess / Flower shot work better I'd suggest the same "over the shoulder of the King" approach. If you stood behind the King as he gave flowers to the queen the flowers would be in scale with the bodies and you'd see the back of the King in the foreground, flowers in the middle and Queen's face in the foreground. To make that work you'd need to find some very tiny flowers, but I think it would deliver the implied message more literally and be grasped by more viewers.

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

cgardner wrote:
I like the card shot but don't feel it creates much in the way of an interesting story beyond the fact the Jack contrasts.

What came to mind seeing your card shot was an "over the shoulder POV" shot where a big pile of poker chips is seen on the table OOF beyond cards held upright with one hand as a a hand inserting the Ace into the hand as if it was just drawn to complete a long shot gamble to win the pot. The addition of the pile of chips in the background would add context which will make
...Show more

Chuck; I was hoping you would stop by. Your incite is extremely valuable. I will keep trying. Thank you, Jim

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

Another chess related shallow DOF shot you might try is a shot of a board set up in a Checkmate configuration with the opposing King laid-down as when conceding the match from the POV of the losing side. The laid-down King would be sharply focused, the surrounding pieces which created the Checkmate in the background slightly OOF. If you wanted to elevate it to the Chess-geek level you might use the ending of game six of the Fisher-Spassky match you can find here: http://www.wtharvey.com/fisc.html

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

cgardner wrote:
Another chess related shallow DOF shot you might try is a shot of a board set up in a Checkmate configuration with the opposing King laid-down as when conceding the match from the POV of the losing side. The laid-down King would be sharply focused, the surrounding pieces which created the Checkmate in the background slightly OOF. If you wanted to elevate it to the Chess-geek level you might use the ending of game six of the Fisher-Spassky match you can find here: http://www.wtharvey.com/fisc.html

Exceptional ideas. Thank you. Jim

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Beabs

p.1 #10 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

I would like to see a little less going on in the background when there is shallow DOF. I seem to be drawn to the first image, but would like to see the infocus card red and the others black, just for that extra pop. I like the flower with the focus in the centre and the softness of the far petals. I find that the flower and the chess pieces seem to be competing with each other. Also, small thing, but I would file off that little bit off the right side of the king, it's a bit distracting. I am a real fan of shallow dof and appreciate all the work you have put into your images.

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:45 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

Beabs wrote:
I would like to see a little less going on in the background when there is shallow DOF. I seem to be drawn to the first image, but would like to see the infocus card red and the others black, just for that extra pop. I like the flower with the focus in the centre and the softness of the far petals. I find that the flower and the chess pieces seem to be competing with each other. Also, small thing, but I would file off that little bit off the right side of the king, it's a bit distracting.
...Show more

Thank you. I will be posting two more today for review. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Jim

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:47 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

I'd suggest when imaging small objects to be sure they are clean and free of visual lint. In this case there are bits of plastic left on the king from the molding process that could be easily trimmed. They could be re-touched in post processing, but it's better to do it in preparation when possible.

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:29 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #13 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

Off topic but I can't resist:

Oldrattler: "Your incite is extremely valuable." The interesting thing is that it's obviously a typo (insight was the intended word), but this is one of those cases where the word actually used makes some accidental sense. Good "insightful" comments might "incite" us toward better work.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:50 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

AuntiPode wrote:
I'd suggest when imaging small objects to be sure they are clean and free of visual lint. In this case there are bits of plastic left on the king from the molding process that could be easily trimmed. They could be re-touched in post processing, but it's better to do it in preparation when possible.

Thanks Karen; I actually never thought about it, But I will remember. Jim

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:12 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

beanpkk wrote:
Off topic but I can't resist:

Oldrattler: "Your incite is extremely valuable." The interesting thing is that it's obviously a typo (insight was the intended word), but this is one of those cases where the word actually used makes some accidental sense. Good "insightful" comments might "incite" us toward better work.

Ohaaaaa, yea that's what I meant to say.. Good catch, wrong word usage. Thanks, Jim

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:16 PM
jothdu

p.1 #16 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

The flower shot is my favorite, but it's a little underexposed to me. I think the chess piece shots have some potential, especially numbers 2 and 3. The pieces aren't straight in number 2 (leaning to the left) and their bottoms are cut off in number 3.

I think I'd be more interested in them if the pieces themselves were more interesting. As it is, they're just cheap plastic and, as others mentioned above, the untrimmed bits are distracting. I think if they had a more interesting texture (maybe stone or wood) to contrast more with the soft background flower it might work out better.

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:12 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

jothdu wrote:
The flower shot is my favorite, but it's a little underexposed to me. I think the chess piece shots have some potential, especially numbers 2 and 3. The pieces aren't straight in number 2 (leaning to the left) and their bottoms are cut off in number 3.

I think I'd be more interested in them if the pieces themselves were more interesting. As it is, they're just cheap plastic and, as others mentioned above, the untrimmed bits are distracting. I think if they had a more interesting texture (maybe stone or wood) to contrast more with the soft background flower
...Show more

Thank you. I am going to continue working on my "Chess" idea when I get somewhere with a nicer chess set. This is the one we carry in the RV. Jim

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:44 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · WA - Shallow D.O.F. - Help

oldrattler wrote:
Thank you. I am going to continue working on my "Chess" idea when I get somewhere with a nicer chess set. This is the one we carry in the RV. Jim

While working in Manila I bought a chess table with stools with carved bases shaped like knights. It was nice looking but the darn thing weighed a ton so when back in the States about 15 years ago I gave it to a friend who at the time had a couple young kids who where just trying to learn the game, figuring it would make it more fun for them. I never got any feedback about it until a few months ago when seeing a reference about playing chess on his daughter's twitter feed. She apparrently became a self-described "chess nerd". So I guess the gift paid more than expected dividends

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password