Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?
  
 
LPortugalPhoto
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Ok so I own a Canon 600ex flash, since the 580s were discontinued when i went to buy. Anyway, I am branching into wedding photography and I have found myself with a bit of a dilemma. I am going to need/want to invest in some more flash units, however, the 600ex is an expensive little sucker. Should I invest in more 600ex's because the proprietary wireless communication is just worth it? Or, should I buy some cheap triggers and cheap flashes and use my 600ex with them (since the 600ex wont trigger anything but the 600ex). I probably won't need TTL for any of the other flashes BECAUSE I will be setting them up in the corners of the room etc. Anyway, I was just wondering what you all thought? I am kind of feeling like maybe buying the 600ex wasn't the best decision... because if I want to trigger or use some cheaper flashes, I can't really trigger them without pulling out a pocket wizard (which is kind of redundant for the 600ex).



Lindsey



Mar 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM
ComicDom1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Yes the 600 is expensive, but it depends what you are looking for out of yor system. Why not rent a couple of 600's from lens rentals or some other place and see how they work for you. From what I read the Rt in them is pretty reliable. Of course you can buy some used 580 ex ii's and use those to get by. If you shoot weddings how much will the wireless triggers cost you in addition to the flash units? If you want to take advantage of the canon system then buy some more 600's.

What camera are you shooting and doess it give you control of the flashes from the menu?.

If you buy something else besides Canon are you going to need a light meter to set them up properly?

Is there an advantage if you can take advantage of the built in ETTL-2 for proper exposure?

Apply the same logic as you would if you were buying a lens. If you trust aftermarket and are happy with the build quality and results then go that way. If not stick to Canon.

Jason



Mar 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM
LPortugalPhoto
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


hmm ya I guess so. I have a 5dMarkIII which the flashes can use in menu. I could buy some used 580 ex's as well I just feel like since I already have the 600ex it would kind of be a waste not to use it. Who knows, maybe I will find some cash just lying around here somewhere hah!


Mar 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


I bought a 600EX-RT specifically to use with my 1DX, because it's compatible with the 1DX (and 5DIII) metering and AF configurations. It works really well.

I also have 580EX, 580EX II, and 420EX flash, which I generally use for off camera, multiple-flash lighting in 'normal' ETTL mode , or in manual mode, sometimes with optical triggers. I figure the new 600EX-RT is an appropriate companion for my new 1DX. I hope that Canon will release some 3xxEX-RT and/or 4xxEX-RTR flash in the near future...



Mar 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM
LPortugalPhoto
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Jcolwell... how do you use the 600ex and the 580exs other than with optical triggers? You can't use the wireless between them because the 580ex doesnt have the wireless receivers.. so do you just hook up pocket wizards to your 580s and 600s? or do you just not use them at the same time?


Mar 23, 2013 at 12:03 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Hi Lindsey,

Here's a short article that might help with your decision. I'm still using the 580/430 IIs for multi-flash setups, the 600EX-RT is somewhat backward compatible with the older units, you just can't mix radio and optical wireless. Cheers, Jerry

Deciding Between Canonís Speedlites 600EX-RT and 580EX II
http://pixsylated.com/blog/deciding-between-canon-speedlite-600ex-rt-and-580ex-ii/



Mar 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


LPortugalPhoto wrote:
Jcolwell... how do you use the 600ex and the 580exs other than with optical triggers? You can't use the wireless between them because the 580ex doesnt have the wireless receivers.. so do you just hook up pocket wizards to your 580s and 600s? or do you just not use them at the same time?


My 600EX-RT works fine as an optical 'master' to my 580EX and EXII 'slaves'...



Mar 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


StillFingerz wrote:
Hi Lindsey,

Here's a short article that might help with your decision. I'm still using the 580/430 IIs for multi-flash setups, the 600EX-RT is somewhat backward compatible with the older units, you just can't mix radio and optical wireless. Cheers, Jerry

Deciding Between Canonís Speedlites 600EX-RT and 580EX II
http://pixsylated.com/blog/deciding-between-canon-speedlite-600ex-rt-and-580ex-ii/


You can't use 600EX-RT "RT" control over 580EX and EX II flash, but the 'normal' E-TTL off-camera protocols work just fine for controlling 580-series flash from a 600EX-RT.



Mar 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Kisutch
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Depends on whether you use ttl or not. If not you can get excellent manual flashes for <$100 and use cheap radio triggers. If you want ttl, the 550ex is great and ~$180, but you have to shell out more for the ttl triggers, so I think the 600 is looking like a better option there.

I personally find ettl a lot trickier than just using manual, but I could see how it could be handy for something as dynamic and unpredictable as wedding photography. If you could go manual, then you could sell your 600ex, pick up cheap manual speedlites and even a big light like a PCB Einstein ($500), which would open up some new opportunities.




Mar 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


jcolwell wrote:
You can't use 600EX-RT "RT" control over 580EX and EX II flash, but the 'normal' E-TTL off-camera protocols work just fine for controlling 580-series flash from a 600EX-RT.


Yeah, apologies, guess I wasn't clear enough thus the article to FULLY EXPLAIN my backward compatible mention, guess folks don't read anymore. NO radio won't work AT ALL with older flash, but optical still works like it always has, and the 600EX-RT provides both radio and optical usage. Hope that's clearer, I'll just run away now don't want to get panties in a twist...geeeeeez



Mar 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Hey, no worries. Clairity is important. Sometimes it comes off as anal (i.e. me), but it can still have value. You may have understood exactly what you meant, but maybe some readers wouldn't.

In my experience (and this current thread is proof), you're lucky if most readers understand your posted content, let alone following posted links.



Mar 23, 2013 at 12:38 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


jcolwell wrote:
Hey, no worries. Clairity is important. Sometimes it comes off as anal (i.e. me), but it can still have value. You may have understood exactly what you meant, but maybe some readers wouldn't.

In my experience (and this current thread is proof), you're lucky if most readers understand your posted content, let alone following posted links.


Jim, indeed, been shooting/reading everything I could/can since that fateful day in 1970 when my grandfather gave me his rangefinder to play with. A morning/afternoon in the deserts of Tempe, AZ, cactus, tumbleweed and horny toads near everywhere, a bit of sand as well hooked my young eyes. Doomed forever, 43yrs later still can't get enough



Mar 23, 2013 at 12:46 AM
LPortugalPhoto
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Interesting idea... hmmm I may have to really consider that. Manual is possible for the flashes around the room...so I probably will be sticking with manual. I am not sure yet.. I want to do a few more weddings to really get a feel for what I want.


Mar 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


StillFingerz wrote:
... Doomed forever, 43yrs later still can't get enough


We're all totally screwed.



Mar 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


LPortugalPhoto wrote:
Interesting idea... hmmm I may have to really consider that. Manual is possible for the flashes around the room...so I probably will be sticking with manual. I am not sure yet.. I want to do a few more weddings to really get a feel for what I want.


Remember, with optical/manual, it's all about line-of-sight, block that LOS even a bit and your flash can be out of sync. That's why the RT; radio, is so cool, it just floats about in the air triggering whatever you have set up and you can control everything from body;5D3/IDX, with a mounted master or the new ST-E3-RT transmitter. With the transmitter being quite the light bit of kit.

Tough trade off, perhaps use the old flash optical method, save and eventually go full RT, if you're making money from your shoots it's a good goal and I'd guess a more solid solution...



Mar 23, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Kisutch
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Yeah but what's so great about manual is that you can literally get a great speedlite for $45 and rather reliable radio triggers for $30/unit.


Mar 23, 2013 at 01:09 AM
ComicDom1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


StillFingerz wrote:
Remember, with optical/manual, it's all about line-of-sight, block that LOS even a bit and your flash can be out of sync. That's why the RT; radio, is so cool, it just floats about in the air triggering whatever you have set up and you can control everything from body;5D3/IDX, with a mounted master or the new ST-E3-RT transmitter. With the transmitter being quite the light bit of kit.

Tough trade off, perhaps use the old flash optical method, save and eventually go full RT, if you're making money from your shoots it's a good goal and I'd guess a more
...Show more

Just to make things more interesting you can even fire the camera using the RT system.

Jason



Mar 23, 2013 at 04:39 AM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


ComicDom1 wrote:
Just to make things more interesting you can even fire the camera using the RT system.

Jason


That's cool. I didn't know. Thanks Jason.

I just checked the manual, it's called "Linked Shooting". You can even set it up so you can use an -RT speedlite or ST-E3 on it's own, with no "master camera", to trigger one or more "slave cameras". Maybe there are enough reasons for me to get an ST-E3, after all.



Mar 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Stoffer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


LPortugalPhoto wrote:
Ok so I own a Canon 600ex flash, since the 580s were discontinued when i went to buy. Anyway, I am branching into wedding photography and I have found myself with a bit of a dilemma. I am going to need/want to invest in some more flash units, however, the 600ex is an expensive little sucker. Should I invest in more 600ex's because the proprietary wireless communication is just worth it? Or, should I buy some cheap triggers and cheap flashes and use my 600ex with them (since the 600ex wont trigger anything but the 600ex). I probably won't need
...Show more

Look at the new Canon RT-system as an investment. Its expensive to get going, but since you already has one, I would try and get a deal on, say, one more 600EX-RT and the ST-E3 RT if you don't need a flash on the camera. I only have a 600EX-RT but plan one getting a ST-E3 RT to command the flash inside a softbox. It takes time and money to built the system, but it'll be sweet when its done.



Mar 23, 2013 at 01:05 PM
ComicDom1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 600 EX or other brand?


Last I checked the ST-E3 was $299 at B&H. I picked up my 600 EX-RT there for $559.00 with free shipping and no tax for me this last week. I do plan on buying the ST-E3 and possibly another flash or two when they run them on a better special.

These flashes will not replace my studio lights but they do give you a nice travel system and can certainly be used as kicker lights in the studio when needed.

Years ago Canon published a book on their creative lighting using multiple flashes. Maybe there is someone here that knows if they have updated that.

Jason



Mar 23, 2013 at 01:46 PM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password