Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

TheGE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

BigIronCruiser wrote:
I responded with "well, unfortunately that's not something I can fix". She wanted to proceed with the shoot.

What would you have done?

I never would say anything that may taint the session in the client's mind. That is, I did once and learned my lesson.
I wouldn't have gone ahead with the session. Even if I had to refund money.
Then, afterwards, I would re-examine where this thing went wrong where a client shows up thinking being photographed in a wrinkled garment for a bridal session is acceptable and see where I could improve things.

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:12 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

TheGE wrote:
I never would say anything that may taint the session in the client's mind. That is, I did once and learned my lesson.
I wouldn't have gone ahead with the session. Even if I had to refund money.
Then, afterwards, I would re-examine where this thing went wrong where a client shows up thinking being photographed in a wrinkled garment for a bridal session is acceptable and see where I could improve things.

Why would you ever refund money in a situation like this? You didnt wrinkle the dress, the bride did. Thats her problem. You're not a miracle worked.

Mar 25, 2013 at 08:06 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #3 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

paparazzinick wrote:
Why would you ever refund money in a situation like this? You didnt wrinkle the dress, the bride did. Thats her problem. You're not a miracle worked.

Exactly. I'm not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. So I'm not going to photograph a bridal session where the gown's all wrinkled. It's not like it's the wedding day and it happened to get wrinkled. She brought it in wrinkled. I have standards for my images so like you said, it's not my problem.

The problem really is the client's mind set that this is somehow acceptable. That's what has to change here.

And because I chose not to photograph it and can't reschedule it (according to what the OP wrote) I don't feel it's right to keep the money for a service I chose not to provide so if I had to refund it, no problem, I would. I don't need the money.

Mar 26, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.2 #4 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

I. Just. Don't. Get it..... Hopefully this is not an omen of things to come on the wedding day.

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:04 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. In this case to NOT do the shoot is what I would have done. The only thing in life that can't be rescheduled is death. Clients can make time for whatever they see as important.

As already noted, your name is on this no matter the images YOU provide your clients to post after editing, they can (and will) post others you may not want viewed by others. Why go through this exercise?

All of this is where people lack real conversation with clients. I don't understand why not.

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MattSepeta
• • •
p.2 #6 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

It *actually* looks like it got stuffed in a shoebox for a few days

Mar 28, 2013 at 04:01 PM
micla

p.2 #7 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

I think its important for us to educate our clients as much as possible in advance. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that we would never even think of mentioning because it seems like common sense. I guess ironing should just get added to 'the list' of things to educate our clients on, along with my other favorites:
- Arriving on time and impact on natural light.
- Black and white striped shirts and chromatic abberation.

I think a 'Best Engagement/Portrait' ever will be a page added to my client lounge.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:57 PM
Boss302

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

So if it is a gotta, hafta, musta shoot & can not be rescheduled, I would hope I could make the best of it - she knows the dress is not presentable so: Perhaps rather than a standing "formal" bridal pose - the wrinkled skirt could be hidden in the posing positions - how about seated on the floor with the skirt bunched, laying down with feet/legs exposed up wall pose, kicked back in a chair, on couch, etc. - almost, but not quite a "trash the dress" session - after all - it is pre-wrinkled... Maybe?

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.2 #9 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Meh this is common sense. If I have to educate a bride on how to store a dress.....well then I don't think I want that type of client. I mean really, if anything, this is the dress store's job, not mine. Next thing you know I will be having to educate brides on how to cut a wedding cake......wait a minute......

micla wrote:
I think its important for us to educate our clients as much as possible in advance. Unfortunately, this is one of those things that we would never even think of mentioning because it seems like common sense. I guess ironing should just get added to 'the list' of things to educate our clients on, along with my other favorites:
- Arriving on time and impact on natural light.
- Black and white striped shirts and chromatic abberation.

I think a 'Best Engagement/Portrait' ever will be a page added to my client lounge.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
micla

p.2 #10 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Daboyle wrote:
Meh this is common sense. If I have to educate a bride on how to store a dress.....well then I don't think I want that type of client. I mean really, if anything, this is the dress store's job, not mine. Next thing you know I will be having to educate brides on how to cut a wedding cake......wait a minute......

Arriving on time seems like common sense too, but I have heard photographers mention that their clients were really late to the session.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password