Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

BigIronCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

A bride-to-be showed up for an outdoor bridal portrait session, and her wedding dress looked like it had been stuffed in a shoe box. She says "My dress is really wrinkled". I'm thinking "no sh#t", but I responded with "well, unfortunately that's not something I can fix". She wanted to proceed with the shoot.

What would you have done?

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:57 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

If it's a paid shoot, it's on her. These are for her. But this sounds like TFP, and in that case, did you prepare her appropriately for this? Anytime I'm going to do a shoot with a woman in her wedding dress, I remind her to get it dry cleaned so you don't have this exact problem.

In that case, I probably would have focused on tighter shots where I wouldn't spend half the day taking out wrinkles.

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:02 PM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #3 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

What did they turn out like? are they really bad? I know it's not ideal, but can you offer her a reshoot if they turned out absolutely dreadful? Do you have anything you can post?

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #4 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

PS: I think I would have done what you did,and shot the session anyways.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

friscoron wrote:
In that case, I probably would have focused on tighter shots where I wouldn't spend half the day taking out wrinkles.

Yea thats not your problem. Wasting time taking out wrinkles would be billed at $75 an hour for editing.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:45 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

My contract always states that bridal portraits should be scheduled at least 6 weeks before the wedding date if they expect to have it on display at the reception. Her wedding is scheduled for April 6th, so she was very late in getting her dress. Her work schedule and the approaching wedding date didn't leave enough time for a re-shoot, so there weren't any viable options. I offered to edit her top selection for what I considered to be a reasonable price. She apparently had heartburn with the fee, and ultimately opted for an image that was cropped through her hips. It was much easier (and less expensive) to edit, and she seems to be satisfied. Even so, she's a really nice lady, and I'm going to offer a post-wedding re-shoot at no cost.

This is a cropped image (captured while setting up the lights) that illustrates the condition of her dress. I tried a few shots with flat lighting, but the wrinkles were still very noticeable.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:33 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Oh dear God. I would have rebooked it.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:38 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Amazing. I'm sort of speechless that a grown woman would show up like that!

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 05:17 AM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:42 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

That's why I offer all-sillhouette bridal sessions.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:57 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #10 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Silhouette's - that's pretty funny.

Clint Eastwood's famous line as Gunnery Sgt. Highway in "Heartbreak Ridge" was "adapt, improvise, and overcome". I think he would have punted on this one.

>> CKHagen - She said she picked up the dress from the bridal shop, and didn't bother to look at it until she got ready to change at a nearby hotel just minutes before the shoot. I'm having trouble with that explanation, though, because the bridal shop has an excellent reputation, and they simply DON'T deliver dresses in that condition. My daughter got her dress at the same place, and it had zero wrinkles.

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

amonline wrote:
Oh dear God. I would have rebooked it.

um yeah.... this. Its your name on those images, bro.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #12 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Most of my brides handle their gowns with extreme caution before they get into it. That is a truly strange thing to see.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #13 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

louloulou wrote:
Most of my brides handle their gowns with extreme caution before they get into it. That is a truly strange thing to see.

Well, at least it's no longer just the photography and faux cake that's being taken lightly... let me guess, they're honeymooning at Motel 6?

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:00 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

ckhagen wrote:
Amazing. I'm sort of speechless that a grown woman would show up like that!

It doesn't seem to show a lot of care / attention.

I can't say I would have acted too differently. She can see the wrinkles, you acknowledge them, say you can't "fix" them, so I think you were both aware. Whether you should have just called it off when you saw this is another question. In hindsight, it's easier to see.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:00 PM
WalnutPond
• • •
p.1 #15 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Just...wow.

Wanna bet she backs out of the wedding....

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:12 PM
sgtbueno
• •
p.1 #16 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

I just had one that showed up with no make up and hair not done, I still shot the bridal, I edited 3 images really nice, added some make up and use those 3 for my Facebook page, the rest was delivered to her and my logo is not on those.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:49 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #17 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Artistic blur on all. Sever white vignetting. Eyes only shots, may be head and shoulder only. I hope she fixes the dress for the wedding day?!

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:35 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Yeah so if I saw that I would have cancelled the shoot if possible right then and there and re-scheduled for another time. That's ridiculous.

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:44 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

Looks like she slept in that dress...

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:54 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Dress is a mess - What to do?

How does one let their dress get like this?

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password