Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · M mount 35mm options

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · M mount 35mm options

any advice on which 35mm lens to get for an M6? i want to buy used and not spend a huge amount. i don't need f/1.4, but do need f/2. i don't care if it's an older lens.

thanks

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:03 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #2 · M mount 35mm options

biogon f2 runs <900 used in the US.

you might also track down a Canon RF 35/2; it's quite a special lens. the UC-Hexanon 35/2 is really nice, as is the Nikon 35/1.8 in LTM, but they are quite pricey these days.

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Bijltje
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · M mount 35mm options

how much is a huge amount?

Here my thoughts about the 35mm lenses I have owned or still have.

1 VC 35/1.4 classic nokton: Pretty cheap lens. Great build and really small and f/1.4 for a bargain. But has some clear classic rendering with halo's wide open. Kinda like the old 35 summilux (pre asph).

If u like the classic rendering (check flickr for some impressions) it can be a great lens for only a couple of 100 dollars.
I think a really nice lens to use on film. Also check into the single coat lens. Has some extra character and is great for black and white photography. Not that easy to find trough since that was a japan only version.
The normal double coated lens is easy to find.

I sold it because I didn't liked the classic rendering and really was looking for more zeiss in the images to match with the 28/2.8 ZM and 50/2 ZM I had at the time.

2 Zeiss ZM 35mm f/2.8 C-Biogon: I know, not f/2, but worth showing since its such an excellent lens. I really liked this one over the zeiss 35/2 biogon since its much smaller.
Great performance with that zeiss look and not that expensive.
Sold it to fund a 35 cron ASPH, mainly for the speed.

3 Leica summicron 35mm f/2 ASPH. Expensive, even when used but I think this is the ultimate 35mm lens for the leica M.
Much smaller than the other leica lenses so hard to see in the finder. Stunning performance wide open, excelent build, best of all named here, uses the 39mm filters like most other leica's, focusknob for easy use.
Since the lens has been around for ages (compared to canon's standards) cheaper older but current lenses can be found. With the M6 u don't need the 6bit coding so that might help to lower the price since the M8/M9/M users do need that code (and therefore would pick a lens with code instead).

I also shot the zeiss 35/2 biogon shortly and looked like a nice lens. But its bigger than both leica 35/2 or the zeiss 35/2.8 so would not be my pick.

The bokehking (summicron 35/2 version 4 I think,) also seems really nice. But got pretty expensive also.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:25 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #4 · M mount 35mm options

I have a Canon 35/2 listed on the B&S, I'm not even going to try and hide that.

MY favorite (reasonable) RF lenses of ANY focal length are the Voigtlander 35/1.4 MC Nokton, and the Canon 35/2 LTM. The Canon is super small, weightless, and has an awesome look. The ONLY flaw of the Canon is the minimum focus distance of 1M- but this is how most LTM lenses are.
This would be an awesome lens on a M6.
I have had 4-5 copies of the Canon, and one copy of the Voigt 35/1.4. The voigt takes awesome pictures. Super sharp wide open, great build and feel. When/if I get another M camera, I'll probably get another Voigt 35.

Here is a search for "Leica" and "35" on my flickr stream:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Leica+35&w=75696104%40N00&s=int

The lenses in/used for these pictures are either the Canon 35/2, Voigt 35/1.4, or MS-Opt 35/3.5

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:49 AM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.1 #5 · M mount 35mm options

I had the legendary Leica Summaron 35 f2.8 on my Nex 7 for some time and i had no complaints.It is amazingly sharp WO with wonderful color and also it appeared to display what i would have to call the "Leica Glow" every now and then they show up for under $1000.
-Jim

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · M mount 35mm options

Don't forget the Leica 35/2.5 Summarit. It's a very good lens with great bokeh and a touch of the fantastic colors that the 28/2 ASPH gives.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM
dalegaspi
• •
p.1 #7 · M mount 35mm options

I compared the 35/2 Biogon, 35/2 ASPH, and 35/1.4 ASPH FLE here (shameless plug!)

IMO, Biogon f2 performs better than the 35 Summicron ASPH (you're splitting hairs, tho)...however, Summicron ASPH is SO much nicer to use...it's got a much better heft and build quality than the Biogon...not to say that the quality of the Biogon is bad, it's just that the Leica Summicron is better...which is why I'd take the Summicron ASPH over the Biogon any day.

BTW, I have both the 35/2 Biogon and 35/2 ASPH for sale here in FM classifieds...I can't justify keeping anymore them since I got the 35 lux FLE.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:00 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #8 · M mount 35mm options

the summicron is also a lot shorter. with 35mm, that really is something to take into consideration given the frame lines.

but, even with that the biogon is really, really exceptional.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:36 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · M mount 35mm options

Very nice test!

By the way, in the 50mm test, the Planar is front focused as you can see in the beak sharpness and the left pocket which is OOF, but not disputing the results, the Summilux is clearly better.

dalegaspi wrote:
I compared the 35/2 Biogon, 35/2 ASPH, and 35/1.4 ASPH FLE here (shameless plug!)

IMO, Biogon f2 performs better than the 35 Summicron ASPH (you're splitting hairs, tho)...however, Summicron ASPH is SO much nicer to use...it's got a much better heft and build quality than the Biogon...not to say that the quality of the Biogon is bad, it's just that the Leica Summicron is better...which is why I'd take the Summicron ASPH over the Biogon any day.

BTW, I have both the 35/2 Biogon and 35/2 ASPH for sale here in FM classifieds...I can't justify keeping anymore them since I got
...Show more

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #10 · M mount 35mm options

Makten wrote:
Don't forget the Leica 35/2.5 Summarit. It's a very good lens with great bokeh and a touch of the fantastic colors that the 28/2 ASPH gives.

Forgot that one! Really great small lens.

Has great optics (many say better than the 35 cron ASPH), not that much slower (f/2.5), really tiny and great build (above ZM zeisses in my opinion. My 50 summarit was by far the most smooth to focus lens I have had.
And for leica standards actually pretty low in costs. Can be found used for great prices.

But also has some disadvantages. Minimal focusdistance of 80 cm (compared to leica standard 70 cm), still pretty expensive compared to the zeisses.
And a hood isn't included and costs another 120 euro. But to be fair, with the zeiss lenses the hood also isn't included and they cost 85 euro.
Good thing about the hood, its all metal and it screws on a outer thread so the innertread for filters keep clear.
When put on the hood is there rock solid.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #11 · M mount 35mm options

I love how outrageously expensive the Leica glass is. So crazy.
If you can afford it, of course, get the Leica stuff.
If you can't, and want a small lens, get one of the following:
Konica UC Hexanon 35/2
Canon 35/2 LTM
Voigtlander 35/1.4 Nokton
Voigtlander 35/2.5 Color Skopar(?)

The choice is really that simple. If you can afford Leica, get Leica. Most people will agree it's better... but the price differential is hilarious.

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:40 AM
dalegaspi
• •
p.1 #12 · M mount 35mm options

edwardkaraa wrote:
Very nice test!

By the way, in the 50mm test, the Planar is front focused as you can see in the beak sharpness and the left pocket which is OOF, but not disputing the results, the Summilux is clearly better.

thanks, Edward! i *really* appreciate that; lens tests like these are not really difficult to conduct, but they're time consuming and tedious...since doing them myself, i would never take formal tests (like the ones conducted by dpreview, et al and not the ones that are called "real world lens tests"..eherm...) for granted ever again.

you are absolutely right on the Planar that it's front-focused...but as you said the 'lux is still a clear winner. nevertheless, I will update the article to say just that.

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:17 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #13 · M mount 35mm options

thanks for the input everyone. i ended up going with the biogon f/2. only concern is interference with the viewfinder, but i'll have to see it in practice to decide if it's a real issue for me. if so i'll just try another option.

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:24 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #14 · M mount 35mm options

so i got the zeiss 35 f2 today. it looks to be in good shape, but i have a question:

is the focus ring on this type of lens usually much firmer than, for instance, the MF ring on my canon lenses? it feels very smooth, just has more resistance than my DSLR lenses. you have to apply a bit of pressure. is this normal?

Mar 27, 2013 at 06:51 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #15 · M mount 35mm options

goosemang wrote:
so i got the zeiss 35 f2 today. it looks to be in good shape, but i have a question:

is the focus ring on this type of lens usually much firmer than, for instance, the MF ring on my canon lenses? it feels very smooth, just has more resistance than my DSLR lenses. you have to apply a bit of pressure. is this normal?

It depends. My 50 Sonnar are very smooth and feel light turning, and 35biogon less so.
I also had one 35 c-sonnar feel noticeable different at vertical and horizontal shooting, which is abnormal. I returned that copy.
But generally, I feel Zeiss's focusing ring is lighter compare to well damped Leica.

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:01 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #16 · M mount 35mm options

it's very consistent from left to right... not tighter in one area or anything. maybe it's just different from what i'm used to. with canon lenses, especially L's, i can pretty much turn the focusing ring with a finger tip with almost no pressure. this seems to be a bit different

i've got class tonight so i'll run it past a couple people there

Mar 27, 2013 at 07:04 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #17 · M mount 35mm options

If its consistent I would say its normal. MF lenses are harder to turn than those canon AF lenses since they have to give u more feetback. The L lenses are way harder to manual focus.
But, off course it not like u have to use a lot of force!

After using them for a while it also get more easy to turn. Did u buy it new?

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:14 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #18 · M mount 35mm options

goosemang wrote:
it's very consistent from left to right... not tighter in one area or anything. maybe it's just different from what i'm used to. with canon lenses, especially L's, i can pretty much turn the focusing ring with a finger tip with almost no pressure. this seems to be a bit different

I mean do you really want to be able to disturb your focus that easily?

My planar is very smooth but a bit heavier than some of my really broken in Zuikos. of course it's lighter than something like a DR summicron or most other Leicas. after a while you get used to it and appreciate that it takes that tiny bit of effort to get it moving.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:43 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #19 · M mount 35mm options

oh i'm not complaining, just want to make sure i'm getting what i paid for. this is just different to me is all.

it's not a lot of force or anything, just more than i'm used to with DSLR lenses. no sweat... sounds like it's par for the course.

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:51 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password