Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

stanj wrote:
I got the 17 first and also used it with the 1.4xTC, which it takes very well. Once the need came for the 24mk2, I added it to the lineup.

Agreed. The TS17 can become 24 (with 1.4x) and 27 (with 7d) or 38 (with 7d /1.4x) and about 11mm with the shift and stitch. I would rather have the option of 11,17,24,27 than 21,24,34, 53. Often 24 is too long.

However, if don't shoot in the mountains, maybe you don't need 17. In which case the 24 has better iq than the 17 but not by a large margin.

The TS17 is my go to lens. I take the ts17 and 1.4x when I am hiking to save weight. I think the shift is far more needed at 17 then 24, since the UWA affects are greater.

Scott

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Mike K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I own both the 17 and 24 TSE and use the 24 over the 17 about 2 or 3 to 1. I use tilt extensively, especially at very low ground angles and use an external monitor to compose and fine adjust tilt and focus while the camera is very low. See the article with examples on FM,
http://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

your choice of WA view is primarily dictated by your choice of composition: its a question of shooting style.
Mike K

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Scott Stoness Wrote:
if don't shoot in the mountains, maybe you don't need 17.

I shot both TS-E 17 and 24 for commercial product photography and landscape for my pastime.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

What focal length is "best" depends on how and for what the lens is used, and how one "sees" the world.

There is no "one size fits all"; one must asses his/her own requirements.

Mike K probably said is best.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:59 PM
alvit
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Looks nobody uses the 90mm

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I rented TS-E 90mm on the job basic.

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

user222
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I chose the 24 because I love the focal length, I can easily use filters, and shift gives me the option to go wider.

I would like to add the 17, but I live in the pacific northwest, where it seems my gear is always getting sprinkled on by rain drops or doused with sea spray. I'm concerned that constantly having to wipe off the front element would turn me in to a nervous wreck. Or alternately, I would just leave the lens in the bag not wanting to expose it to the elements.

If I do decide to go UWA, I would choose the 17 over the canon 14mm or Zeiss 15, because of the movements.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

If money is an issue, you may want to wait a bit for the Samyang 24/3.5.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:00 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

No one seems to be commenting on a recommendation based on sensor size. I've been considering the 17, for some of the reasons and options listed here, but also because I have a 1.3 sensor.

Should this be included when considering between the two?

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:44 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Sure, sensor size is an important consideration. I think most contributors assume the T-S lenses will be used on full frame. I know I do. Having an APS-H sensor will change the focal length you want to get, for any particular field of view. I have a 1DIV, but I don't think I've ever used a T-S lens on it - that certainly dosen't mean that I can't or shouldn't.

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

TheBearman wrote:
No one seems to be commenting on a recommendation based on sensor size. I've been considering the 17, for some of the reasons and options listed here, but also because I have a 1.3 sensor.

Should this be included when considering between the two?

Now that you have mentioned the camera body, it is a strong consideration, but for another reason: it is immensely easier to use a body with a good Live View when considering TS lens use, The 1DIII has a very basic lower resolution Live View, while the 1DIV has a 900k dot LCD with the usual 5-10X magnification, much closer to the current Canon LCD of 1m dots. One needs the higher resolution LCD to critically assess maximum sharpness for tilt adjustments. While shift can be adjusted easily enough with the viewfinder alone, tilt is much more difficult as one iteratively fine adjusts tilt angle and focus paying attention to sharpness at infinity and a near field object in the focal plane. the magnified Live View with the ability to move the magnified area about the frame is really useful, similar to using a loupe on ground glass in large format.

Of couse the APS H crop will reduce your field of view by 30%, but this is still a compositional issue and highly dependent upon your artistic preference. I would make a choice based upon what focal length you most commonly use now in similar situations.
Mike K

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Mike K wrote:
... One needs the higher resolution LCD to critically assess maximum sharpness for tilt adjustments. While shift can be adjusted easily enough with the viewfinder alone, tilt is much more difficult as one iteratively fine adjusts tilt angle and focus paying attention to sharpness at infinity and a near field object in the focal plane. the magnified Live View with the ability to move the magnified area about the frame is really useful, similar to using a loupe on ground glass in large format...

I agree. I recently started using a SmallHD DP6 HD monitor (5.6" diagonal) when using tilt, and sometimes for macro, especially when it's awkward to view the rear LCD. It connects to the camera's mini-HDMI port, and provides a high res (1280 x 800) view of what's on the camera rear LCD screen; LiveView for focus and tilting, menu, shooting info, image replay - whatever you would see on the rear LCD is displayed on the DP6. The camera's rear LCD is turned off when you're connected to the mini-HDMI port.

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password