Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I'm contemplating getting my first T-S lens and can't decide between the 17mm and the 24mm versions. What are the pros and cons? Not just quality of image but also portability (the 17mm seems to be very risky with its protruding front optic and no real way to protect it except the huge cap.
Niall

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I bought the 24mm first, because I use that a lot more often than 17mm.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:04 PM
trueimage
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

what do you shoot?

24mm is the "ideal" for architectural

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:06 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I went with the 24. Easier with filters and can be 14mm wide if you shift stitch. Love it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:21 PM
artd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Well, you don't use TS lenses for portability. Don't forget that most of the time they are normally being used on tripods. You can use them handheld (I have on a few occasions) but it is not very quick or easy to make adjustments that way, or achieve accurate focus.

The protroduing front element on the 17...I don't really see that as much of an issue since the lens cap stays on unless I'm setting up the shot.

There are no real pros or cons either lens in my view. It really should depend on the style you are after. If you like an ultrawide perspective, the 17 is awesome. If you shoot in really, really tight spaces, the 17 is awesome (although the 24 can also make use of flat stitching to get a similar field of view). And finally, I find the 17 useful in particular for shifting to get huge expanses of sky. If you like that kind of look, this is the lens to get:

untitled by Art Domagala, on Flickr

The 24, on the other hand, I find is more useful in typical shooting circumstances because of its focal length. It's my workhorse lens. If I only had the choice of one, that would probably be it because I find it's more useful in more situations...but that's only because of my shooting style. Compositionally, ultrawide is a less common choice for me.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

get the 17 because it is great, because you can replace the 24 with anything from the 24-70 to the IS to the L and because you are not going to take two TS-E's on a trip

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:45 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I got the 17mm, mostly because I already had 24mm covered by the very competent 24L II. If I need to shift at 24 mm, I may just add a 1.4x TC to my 17mm and call it a day.

I know some people say you can just stitch with the 24 TS-E to get near 17mm, but you can also stitch with the 17 to get near 11mm, and I almost always want wider, not tighter.

The lack of filter threads was really the only thing that gave me pause over the 17. Fred's DIY solution for Lee filters is intriguing, but I haven't tried it yet. If you rarely need ultra-wide, probably the 24 TS-E is safer.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Hulot wrote:
get the 17 because it is great, because you can replace the 24 with anything from the 24-70 to the IS to the L and because you are not going to take two TS-E's on a trip

Interesting... You might be right that the OP won't take more than one TS-E lens, but I sometimes take six TS-E lenses with me: TS-E 17/4L, 24/3.5L II, and Mamiya M645 C 35/3.5N, 55.2,8N, 80/2.8N, and A 150/2.8, with a Mirex T-S adapter.

Also, the TS-E 24/3.5L can't be replaced by the fast prime or zoom lenses (most of which I have), if you want to use tilt or shift.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:55 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I had both, but after buying a 24-70 f2.8 mk2, I sold the 24TSE.

Sharpest non tele lens I ever owned, but not wide enough to justify keeping. I often wish I had wider than 17 and if Canon made a 14 shift only that was as good as the 17TSE I would be very interested.

I seldom use tilt on the 17, but shift is very often required and the lack of shift is why I returned my Ziess 15.

I have a home made filter system. I have not worried about the front element I am just a careful guy. I do get flare however. 17 is wide and gets the sun when you don't notice it.

Edited on Mar 22, 2013 at 03:00 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:59 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I plan to get the 17mm unless the Rokinon turns out to be nice for around $1000. My thinking is that I can used it on a cropped body if I want somthing more narrow or add a converter to it. I've used both and enjoyed the 17mm much more. It does depend on what you plan to shoot and your preferences.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:59 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

As I've just got the 24-70 II it looks like the one to go for is the 17mm Especially as I could use it on my 7D if I want a narrower TS Many thanks to all that's been really helpful
Niall

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:14 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

The 24-70II performs very close to the 24 TS-E II (but lacks tilt and shift). Since you have the 24-70II, the 17 is the natural choice. I plan to pick up a 17 again soon, though I sold it to fund my 200 1.8L.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I got the 17 first and also used it with the 1.4xTC, which it takes very well. Once the need came for the 24mk2, I added it to the lineup.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I got the 17 first and added the 24 later. I use the 17 a lot more than the 24 also.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Hulot wrote:

I am on a trip at this moment. And I have both my 17 TSE and 24 TSE II with me

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

jcolwell wrote:
Interesting... You might be right that the OP won't take more than one TS-E lens, but I sometimes take six TS-E lenses with me: TS-E 17/4L, 24/3.5L II, and Mamiya M645 C 35/3.5N, 55.2,8N, 80/2.8N, and A 150/2.8, with a Mirex T-S adapter.

Also, the TS-E 24/3.5L can't be replaced by the fast prime or zoom lenses (most of which I have), if you want to use tilt or shift.

the OP asked about 17 -or- 24 and for which reason. Good for you to have all these lenses but you dont answer the question

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Hulot wrote:

jcolwell wrote:

Hulot wrote:
the OP asked about 17 -or- 24 and for which reason. Good for you to have all these lenses but you dont answer the question

You're partly right, I'm very fortunate to have a lot of excellent lenses. You're also partly wrong, as I did "answer the question". I responded directly to the OP in the first reply, at the top of the thread. I responded to your comments later. I hope that's OK with the moderator.

There's nothing wrong with using a different 24mm lens, it's just that it won't replace the TS-E 24mm for the main purposes that most people buy a TS-E lens.

Edited on Mar 23, 2013 at 09:08 AM · View previous versions

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

you are "partly" right I didnt register your name there, and actually I "Like"d your post

when Canon introduced the 17 I found it made a lot of sense because of "the closer, the higher" effect and because you can still use tc or an APS

BTW, the answer to the question is
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Answer_to_Life.png

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

Yep, that's what the white mice tell me.

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:49 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which Tilt-Shift Lens to start?

I own both of these lens and the 17mm TS-E is got used the most.
I would start with Canon 17mm TS-E first then add 24mm TS-E later.

Canon 5d II, TS-E 24mm F3.5L II

Canon 5D III, TS-E 17mm F4L with Lee .9 Graduated neutral density filter.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.