Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

mirrorrim

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

I live in Vermont, where my couple is getting married, and they live in Brooklyn and want to do an engagement session at the New York Public Library. I have never been to NYC. The shoot is next month. So..are there any photography rules I should be aware of? They also want photos in Central Park and on the Brooklyn Bridge.

I've done some research on NYPL and it looks like a written permit is required...but when I google e-sessions of other photographers, some get a permit and others get away with being inconspicuous (no flash, tripod, etc). Any advice?

Will I need permits for the other locations? Anything I should be aware of?

UPDATE:

Just in case anyone is wondering, I contacted the special events office of NYPL and they require $1000 to use the library for an engagement session. Here are the specifics:

Thank you for your interest in The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building. We have had such demand for engagement photographs here at the Library, that we have created a package for them.

You may use the NYPL to take engagement pictures with the following restrictions:

1) You may only use public areas of the building; Astor Hall, the Corridors, Staircases, McGraw Rotunda, etc. ALL reading rooms are off limits for professional photography. Should you want to use any of those spaces specifically, that would require a special appointment and fees will be based on a professional, commercial shoot.

2) You must
...Show more

I told my clients we could probably get away with it if we were quiet about it, but as soon as we entered the building she told the guard we were there for an engagement shoot So we got kicked out. The library did not, however, ask for a permit to photograph on the stairs, so that's what we did.

Edited on Apr 27, 2013 at 09:09 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:00 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #2 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

We are at those places you mentioned few times every season and never was bothered by the security or other authorities. We also use strobes without any issues. I guess the key is not to make too much noise about your presence. Also plan it for morning hours (9-10am) as by noon those places are packed.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:15 PM
joosay
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

(I've never shot inside NYPL)

I've taken photos outside by the steps and didn't get any grief from security. They do have people sitting on the steps so hopefully they are nice enough to move out of the way for a few shots but otherwise embrace the crowd and work it into your shot..

You shouldn't have any problems in Central Park. Brooklyn Bridge walkway is high traffic with pedestrians and bicyclists. Just make sure you aren't on the bike lane and if you're okay with people in the bg, then it should be fine.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:49 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #4 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

You can't set up anything on the ground in NYC without a permit. No tripods, no stands. And don't get in anyone's way or block thoroughfare, public stairways, entrances and exits.

For only a couple of people being photographed you don't need permits for Central Park or The Brooklyn Bridge.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:28 PM
EVO088
• • •
p.1 #5 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

the last i checked .. NYPL doesn't allow any photos taken inside unless you have that wedding booked there! otherwise, steps are as close you can get.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:52 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #6 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

If it were me, I would call the NYPL. It's possible you are required to get a permit to shoot inside, and sometimes those permits include an affordable nominal fee. If you're going to shoot outside on the steps, then no big deal.

Mar 23, 2013 at 03:52 PM
micla

p.1 #7 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

I know people who have shot inside the NYPL for an engagement shoot without a permit, but you will risk getting asked to leave if you do not have a permit. I also assisted an engagement there where they had a rolling bag and they wouldn't let us go in with a rolling bag, so they went in and I stayed with the bag outside. If you want to shoot when noone is there, you will need a permit.

Mar 25, 2013 at 04:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mirrorrim

p.1 #8 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

Just in case anyone is wondering, I contacted the special events office of NYPL and they require $1000 to use the library for an engagement session. Here are the specifics:

Thank you for your interest in The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building. We have had such demand for engagement photographs here at the Library, that we have created a package for them.

You may use the NYPL to take engagement pictures with the following restrictions:

1) You may only use public areas of the building; Astor Hall, the Corridors, Staircases, McGraw Rotunda, etc. ALL reading rooms are off limits for professional photography. Should you want to use any of those spaces specifically, that would require a special appointment and fees will be based on a professional, commercial shoot.
...Show more

I told my clients we could probably get away with it if we were quiet about it, but as soon as we entered the building she told the guard we were there for an engagement shoot So we got kicked out. The library did not, however, ask for a permit to photograph on the stairs, so that's what we did.

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:20 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #9 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

mirrorrim wrote:
I told my clients we could probably get away with it if we were quiet about it, but as soon as we entered the building she told the guard we were there for an engagement shoot So we got kicked out.

Lol'd. And yeah, they don't mind the stairs so much unless you're asking a bunch of people to move out of the way / getting the attention of security.

Apr 27, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

I shot an e-session there. The couple called ahead and got permission. Even still, we were harassed a little bit by security. Best bet is to call ahead and get a permit if they require one. If you speak to someone on the phone and they give you "permission," make sure to get their name.

No flash, no light stands, no tripods.

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:28 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

mirrorrim wrote:

Oh, wow. I guess they changed their policy. We didn't have to pay anything.

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:30 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

$1000!?

Just say no shoots there, ya know? If you want to set the fee so high that only wealthy people will be able to pay it, just cut it off completely. For spaces that receive tax payer dollars I really believe they should be free, very affordable nominal fee for the trouble of scheduling, or just not allow people to do it period.

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:12 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #13 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

You can take pictures in the library, I've done it on several occasions though never commercially.

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:31 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · E-session at the New York Public Library, need advice

It's pretty easy... here's what you do. Leave the lights at home. You don't want to get a ticket in NYC for having a light stand on the ground without a permit (trust me). Tell the couple that you are supposed to have a permit to shoot inside the library but that you can wing it and see what you can get, worst case they kick you guys out. Don't make it obvious you're shooting an engagement session. Keep your distance and get wide interesting environmental stuff (i.e. don't stand next to them and be like hey guys smile and kiss and make yourself obvious).

Then +1 to what others said about central park and brooklyn bridge.

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password