New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

venkidesh Iyer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

Tossing the idea between 6D and 5D MK3. I already have a 7D . Main use of this new purchase will be to shoot low light stage performances such as dance where i need ISO 1600+ all the time. Occasionally will be used for Birds and nature. I usually use center point AF 90% of time. In that scenario is there any noticeable performance difference between 6D and 5D MK3 center AF point (Assume i not interested in outer AFs).

UPDATE : Bought 5D3 and very happy about its performance.. Shoot a few dance performances with it all at high ISOs and AI servo tracking.. Here is one shot at 10,000 ISO

Shot At 10000 ISO

Edited on Apr 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

The 6d' center point is rated to be sensitive at -3ev while the mark III is a bright -2ev.

I am surprised coming from a 7d with robust AF points you're still a center point focus shooter. Time to venture out of the city center mate.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

Overall the 5D3 center point is better. Only when you are in the EV -3- -2 range the 6D will be as good or better. The 5D3 center point and 4 other AF points close to it are dual cross points. And the AI servo which you will use for dance is much better with the 5D3

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:52 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

Even the 5D2 can manage stage performances with just the center point - you'll be fine with either if that is all that you need.

That said, why not use the outer points?

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:11 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

Get the 5DIII and use the outer points, you will never look back.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM
venkidesh Iyer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

I was initially tending towards 6D, but the responses in the forum has got me thinking..I am going to try both 6D and 5D III on dance performances.. The big issue i see in these performances is extreme low light and subject always moving.. i have my 7D set at ISO 3200 or above to get sufficient DOF and SS.. Then i usually end up having very grainy image. LR4 does good Noise reduction, but i loose lot of details and never happy with final image.. I use center point because at those extreme low lights i dont trust any other AF point on 7D. I was expecting 6D or 5D III may be help in improving this situation.. But consesus seems to be more on 5D III side..

I will post some images later and i will appreciate if anybody has tips on improving the shots

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

Don't discount the 5d2 as it has better low light AF than the 7D using the center point along with it's 6 assist points. You can pick up a 5d2 used for cheap, try it out and if it doesn't pass your test, sell it without losing any money.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM
venkidesh Iyer
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

Just want to report back here. When i posted on this forum a month back seeking advice on 6D vs 5D3, i was tending towards buying 6D to save $1.2K. But the forum advice had me got thinking on 5D3. I did infact bought 5D3 (right before prices went up) and have been extremely happy about it. I shot quite few dance performances at extreme low light ISO 12,800 almost all the time. AF is spot on and coming from 7D my pics are much sharper and keeper rate has tripled and they are way too less noisy. AI servo for dance works extremely well and i have been able to photograph moving performers in low light with good focus that i was not able with any of the previous bodies i had (7D, T2i, 50D, 40D, XT)..

Thanks for all your inputs

Updated the OP with a dance shot with 5D3 @ 10,000 ISO

Edited on Apr 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:19 PM
okc_theatrefan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

I shoot similar subjects (theatre and dance) with my 40D, and have been agonizing about the 5D3 for some time. I rented one for a weekend performance and was similarly impressed with the image quality and quick focus. Really liked the quiet shutter mode; my 40D is way too loud for quiet scenes.

I learned the hard way to NEVER put a 40D battery into the 5D3. It slid in easily but bent the contacts. Fortunately, the kind folks on this forum showed me how to get the pins back into position and all was well.

Enjoy!

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:36 PM
venkidesh Iyer
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D vs 5D MK3 center AF point for low light stage performances

okc_theatrefan wrote:
I shoot similar subjects (theatre and dance) with my 40D, and have been agonizing about the 5D3 for some time. I rented one for a weekend performance and was similarly impressed with the image quality and quick focus. Really liked the quiet shutter mode; my 40D is way too loud for quiet scenes.

I learned the hard way to NEVER put a 40D battery into the 5D3. It slid in easily but bent the contacts. Fortunately, the kind folks on this forum showed me how to get the pins back into position and all was well.

Enjoy!

Get the 5D3..... It has solution for low light, high ISO, focus tracking all combined together which is what dance/theater performances shooting scenes are.. Good luck

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.