Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photoshop PS6 wont allow working on currancy images

JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop PS6 wont allow working on currancy images

I was really amazed, I was going to work on a composite image of bills of different currencies and tried opening a file with a $20 bill and photoshop cs6 would not open it. It just had a pop up that said this software does not work on bank notes basically. So I had to revert to PS5 which opened up the files without a problem. It's not like photographers are going to try to counterfit bills or something! I wonder what other types of files it wont let you open?

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:11 PM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop PS6 wont allow working on currancy images

The Secret Service is in route.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop PS6 wont allow working on currancy images

There is a KB article on Adobe's site about this.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:06 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop PS6 wont allow working on currancy images

Not exactly new:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1012-5138816.html

The stock image sites do have currency images available for design purposes, however. As an example, take a look at image #81972100 on Shutterstock.

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop PS6 wont allow working on currancy images

How strange. I went to Thailand a month ago on holiday and took photos of Thai notes and Arab notes whilst there and CS6 opens them up no problem

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:37 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoshop PS6 wont allow working on currancy images

A quick 3 second google search led me to a list of about 50 country's that use the same means to stop scanning, working with the image or printing of their money.

That means that it is normal you to copy Thailand's money and abnormal that you can't US money. Not strange at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoshop PS6 wont allow working on currancy images

Ever since (I think) Photoshop v7, Adobe has been cooperating with the Treasury Department here in the U.S. and with the European banking system in a misguided effort to prevent forgeries. The newer currencies from most countries contain an almost invisible to the naked eye pattern of dots that is recognized by software that Adobe and other companies embed in their products.

The workarounds at the time were to use older currencies in your images that needed them, use ImageReady (remember that) to open your file and then shunt it over to Photoshop, or use an older version of Photoshop.

So, while this might help prevent some ambitious teenager from printing out a bunch of loot on the family's inkjet, it's probably not going to do squat to a professional.

Unfortunately, this heavy handed approach make completely legitimate currency reproduction difficult or impossible. If you go to the U.S Treasury website, there are very specific guidelines to using images of currency that have nothing at all to do with counterfeiting but are now effectively prohibited even though they are legal.

If you're photographing currency, whether you trigger the block depends on how much of the bill you see, how big it is in the frame and what angle it's at.

I'm not by any means an anti government person, but this is a perfect example of overreaching bureaucrats limiting legitimate use of legal tools to do legal things. Complete b.s in my opinion.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password