Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

LPortugalPhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

I have a EF 28 f1.8 USM lens and it is still under warranty (I got it in April of 2012). Anyway, I did a photo shoot the other day (and mind you I don't shoot with this lens frequently) and it has a consistent front focusing issue. My 50 1.2 had NO problems and my 70-200 didn't either. It was just the photos taken with this lens. Anyway, I want to send it into Canon for calibration... however, I don't see an area for that on their website. All I see is a place to submit for repair.. and you have to check a box of what type or repair is needed (calibration is not one of the choices).

How do you all go about (logistically) sending your gear to Canon for calibration issues?

Thanks!!

Lindsey

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:26 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

Its the same process, send it into warranty repair and ask for caliberation. I would suggest the following:

1) Include a card with Photos detailing issue
2) include the body that you would like the lens calibrated with

Good luck.

LPortugalPhoto wrote:
I have a EF 28 f1.8 USM lens and it is still under warranty (I got it in April of 2012). Anyway, I did a photo shoot the other day (and mind you I don't shoot with this lens frequently) and it has a consistent front focusing issue. My 50 1.2 had NO problems and my 70-200 didn't either. It was just the photos taken with this lens. Anyway, I want to send it into Canon for calibration... however, I don't see an area for that on their website. All I see is a place to submit for repair.. and
...Show more

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:53 PM
U-taker
• •
p.1 #3 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

The short and sweet.

What I've done has been to send my camera body and my lens to canon. If you don't send the body along with the lens, the calibration won't really mean anything since lenses behave differently on different camera bodies.

If your camera has an auto focus micro-adjust, I would try that first. Micro-adjusting a prime lens is a lot easier that micro-adjusting a zoom since you're only dealing with a fixed focal length.

If you decide to send your lens and body to canon, I believe there is a comments section on the repair form for you to explain what you would like done. That's what I have done in the past.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:57 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

Hi Lindsey,
I would suggest for you to do the micro focus adjustment of your lens on your 5D Mark III. It doesn't look like you need to send the lens in.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:57 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #5 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

U-taker wrote:
The short and sweet.

What I've done has been to send my camera body and my lens to canon. If you don't send the body along with the lens, the calibration won't really mean anything since lenses behave differently on different camera bodies.

If your camera has an auto focus micro-adjust, I would try that first. Micro-adjusting a prime lens is a lot easier that micro-adjusting a zoom since you're only dealing with a fixed focal length.

If you decide to send your lens and body to canon, I believe there is a comments section on the repair form for you to
...Show more

Done the same thing myself as above in the past with good results.

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:04 PM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #6 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

Hmmm ok, I may try to microadjust first then before I send it in. Ug, this is such a flipping hassle!

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:13 PM
ange
• •
p.1 #7 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

I can't add anything regarding micro adjust (don't have it), but the easiest way for me has been a phone call to Canon. They'll set you up with the repair order and maybe even a pre-paid shipping label (can't remember if they do that for the first warranty shipping).

They might suggest including an image that shows the problem. Unlike U-taker's suggestion, Canon has twice informed me 'not' to send the body with the lens (don't know why). However, they were still able to calibrate my 70-200 perfectly.

Andy

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:34 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #8 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

Personally I drive down Trabuco turn left on Alton and in about 3.5 miles turn right into the drive way. About 6 min. if I catch the lights but that's just me, no need to worry about shipping or packing

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:57 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

It is faster to do MA yourself, but Canon will do it if you send in the body and lens.

From many good experiences, I recommend the Irvine, CA facility.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:03 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

Yes, it is faster to MA yourself. Only reason why I sent in my lens and 5D mark 1 body was, of course, the 5D had no mfa. They did want the lens and body. I've since moved on to a body with ma and would not send anything in to canon that I could not fix easily myself with MA. It was relatively inexpensive, just depends on time vs. money factor for your gear.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

Canon uses a reference body of the same type as your body to calibrate your lens. They do not calibrate it to your body, if your body were off, that would create a mess. They will calibrate your body to their standards as well.

I've had good luck just sending my lens in and describing the issue and the body I used. It came back with a AFMA of "0" on my body.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #12 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

They don't really require your body to calibrate lenses. When I sent my 70-200 II and 1.4x iii in, the CPS guy said just send the lenses with photo examples. That is what I did and the combo is perfect now. Before, it was 0W and +12T.... Now both ends are near zero.

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:14 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #13 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

LPortugalPhoto wrote:
Hmmm ok, I may try to microadjust first then before I send it in. Ug, this is such a flipping hassle!

Quick Micro Adjust method. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:00 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #14 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

How much des it cost to have canon calibrate (not including shipping) outside of the warranty period?

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:25 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #15 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

scalesusa wrote:
Canon uses a reference body of the same type as your body to calibrate your lens. They do not calibrate it to your body, if your body were off, that would create a mess. They will calibrate your body to their standards as well.

I don't have the information you have or hard detailed facts from my experiene. I can say when I picked up my lens and body in person, a personal colleague who worked in the lens repair department gave it to me. I asked about the process and he did mention something about making sure my lens and body were calibrated together after each were done separately with reference equipment. What they did other than making sure my combo was spot on, I can't say. Apparently they did test my gear together and would have made some adjustments if it still back focused.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

Lindsay, if you send in both the body and lens, and they wind up adjusting the body, that may throw off your other lenses. Use the link to Dot Tune above. The process is really simple, quick, and free. I'd be willing to bet that after the Dot Tune process clicks in your mind, you will check other lenses as well ~ Ron

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:22 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

Lindsey,

This might easier than you know. Try this simple procedure, many are claiming great success.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0

Matt

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:30 PM
steve126a

p.1 #18 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

I've tried the dot-tune method on my 50mm 1.4, but the results were outside of what my AFMA could handle (greater than +20). The lens definitely feels softer on my 6d than it was on my old T3i. I've contacted Canon about calibrating the lens, and they told me that they did not need the body.

What is a good, solid test for determining if a lens is front or back focusing? They want photos showing the issue, but I'm having trouble determining what the lens is doing (either front/back or general softness). When I was doing the dot-tune method, I was tuning towards the tele end.

The 50mm is still under warranty, but I also have an 85mm that is out-of-warranty. Any idea what it would cost to have the 85mm calibrated as well?

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:06 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #19 · How to send a lens to Canon for calibration?

I just sent in a 70-200 2.8 IS with the front outer barrel loose and the inner focus barrel loose (their term as I didn't know how to describe it) I also asked for a calibration. their standard "level 2" service charge was $270 plus return shipping of $25. Because of the Gold membership, my final cost was $202. it is scheduled to be delivered today.

I think if you call Canon and ask, they'll tell you what "service level" or whatever you might need and then you can get a cost on that, assuming you do not need other parts.

Mar 27, 2013 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password