Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

cebseb
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

I say tutorial, but it's more of a jigsaw puzzle of information I gathered around the internets and personal experience (read: frustration and head scratching). I looked for a straightforward tutorial once I received my D4 and found the following link:

http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_connect_a_Nikon_D4_to_an_iPad_%3F

The tutorial above was very helpful (and I'll be borrowing the last part of my tutorial exclusively from it), but was lacking 2 things for me:

1) Some key information for someone as clueless about wireless network speak as I am.
2) The specific model I had in my possession which has a built in battery.

Anyways, I'll be posting a picture tutorial that I hastilly cut/pasted/Frankensteined on my phone. If you have a penchant for clean and proper presentations... go somewhere else :0)

For all you other folk lacking gold-lined pockets and looking for a way to wirelessly tether your precious D4 to your [insert wireless capable device]... read on.

First off. Things you need:
1) A Nikon D4
2) $49.99 (before taxes if applicable) to purchase the TP-Link TL-MR3040 at the link below

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088PPFP4

3) 5-30 minutes of your time
4) Ice... for the sore arm you'll get from all the high fives your friends give you after seeing your sweet wireless setup.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:52 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

So after recieving your TP-Link portable router, you need to charge it completely.

*Disclaimer* every tutorial and manual for every electronic device I have owned said to first charge the device completely. I never do, but for the sake of looking resposible, why not.

Now power on your device by sliding the switch on the side over. Notice the blinking lights. Head over to your preferred wifi capable and browser capable device (I used my ipad, but it could be anything else like a laptop or android tablet) and refer to the following pictures below.

This is how you access the setup menu of the TP-Link router

The password and username are both admin

Leave everything else in default and avoid using any passwords for now to make troubleshooting easier later on if any issues arise.

Edited on Mar 22, 2013 at 04:10 AM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:52 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

So that's the first part of the tutorial. Setting up your router. The next part is setting up your D4.

Fire up the D4 and access the menu. Choose the tab with the wrench icon. Click and choose the following (refer to the attached photo for aid)

1) CHOOSE HARDWARE - choose the ethernet connection
2) NETWORK CONNECTION - switch it to ON
3) NETWORK SETTINGS - choose HTTP SERVER
4) Now wait until it turns green and shows an IP address (it will be similar to the one in the photo)

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:53 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

Now you're at the home stretch! The third and final step. Now that the D4 and the router is set up, all thats left is the actual "tethering" part. The following pictures were screen caps taken straight from the link below. I only post them here to spare you one more click of the mouse.

http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_connect_a_Nikon_D4_to_an_iPad_%3F

Go to your wireless network settings and connect to the network that the TP-link router is broadcasting. Now go to your web browser and in the address field put in the address your D4 spit out in the post above.

A login popup will appear. Put in "nikon" as the user and the password blank. BOOM. You're in.

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:31 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

I bought a TL-3040 shortly after getting my D4. It was very simple to setup, and works like a charm for transferring images and remotely controlling the camera.

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:31 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

BigIronCruiser wrote:
I bought a TL-3040 shortly after getting my D4. It was very simple to setup, and works like a charm for transferring images and remotely controlling the camera.

It really was. It's a rock solid setup as well. As long as the variables remain constant or relatively similar, the tethering can be reproduced and once the connection is made, it doesn't waver. From my tests comparing this setup and the WT-5a, the TL-3040 has a higher throughput.

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:43 AM
AndresG

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

Going to have to try this. Thanks for the tutorial.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:10 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

AndresG wrote:
Going to have to try this. Thanks for the tutorial.

No problem. It's a small drop in the bucket compared to all the help this forum has given me over the years. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Cheers!

-Sebastian

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:49 PM
arize84

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

Will this work with a Canon 5D3?

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

I think the D4 is about the only camera on the market with an ethernet port built in....sorry 1Dx does...

Edited on Sep 20, 2013 at 02:03 AM · View previous versions

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:54 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

arize84 wrote:
Will this work with a Canon 5D3?

Unfortunately it would not since the 5D3 has not ethernet port BUT... there is custom firmware available (open source: OpenWrt) that would allow the router to be used via the USB connection. It takes some know how and a little time, but it's a viable option and it basically what the camranger does minus access to the very convenient Mobile App.

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:00 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

doesn't the 5d3 have an SD card slot? why not just use an eye-fi card? I had one, it worked great in a D7000....

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:03 AM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

Awesome...Thanks for the tutorial

Sep 20, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Driveitputtit
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

Thanks cebseb! Just ordered the TP-link and should have it by Tuesday. Can't wait to try this out.

Sep 21, 2013 at 04:24 AM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

Driveitputtit wrote:
Thanks cebseb! Just ordered the TP-link and should have it by Tuesday. Can't wait to try this out.

No problem! Make sure to update me on how it goes!

-Sebastian

Sep 21, 2013 at 04:28 AM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

Hi Sebastian,

I am the owner of techniphoto and the photography wiki. Thanks for mentioning the link. Your device seems to be easier to use than the one I found at the time. You can probably easily attach it to the camera strap if needed. If you don't mind, I'll add the reference and some comments in the wiki article.

Guy

Sep 21, 2013 at 09:41 PM
cebseb
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

gugs wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

I am the owner of techniphoto and the photography wiki. Thanks for mentioning the link. Your device seems to be easier to use than the one I found at the time. You can probably easily attach it to the camera strap if needed. If you don't mind, I'll add the reference and some comments in the wiki article.

Guy

No problem Guy! Thanks for all the initial info! Saved me quite a bit of troubleshooting on my end.

Cheers!

Sep 21, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Driveitputtit
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tutorial: WT-5a alternative for $49.99 and 20 minutes

Got my TP-Link a few weeks ago, but travels kept me from getting it set-up.

Worked on it tonight, and after a little fuss, got it all running. GREAT option to the WT-5!! Thanks again for the instructions, but I did have to fuss a little to get it going.

If you don't mind, I'll add my step by step in a couple days (copying some of your info).

Transfer is much faster than I expected. I think I'll look into ShutterSnitch to see if the interface offers additional functionality, etc.

Oct 12, 2013 at 04:53 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password