Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Just for fun, I'm bringing up my old post here. Anyone try out these new Quadras yet?

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:19 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #2 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

It's just the battery pack. If you've used the old Quadra it's essentially the same experience, aside from refresh time and number of snaps.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:37 PM
myam203
• • •
p.2 #3 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Any thoughts on these or the originals then? There just isn't a whole lot out there on Quadras, yet they seem really great to me... although I know the price is a big obstacle with these.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:39 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #4 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

I use them all the time. I love the Quadra system. The stock battery weight isn't bad at all, nor is the refresh. In my opinion at least.

Sep 27, 2013 at 05:13 AM
myam203
• • •
p.2 #5 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Thanks a lot!

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sheldon N
• • •
p.2 #6 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

I use the original Quadra as well. It's a great balance between size/weight/power and provides access to Elinchrom's great line of modifiers.

With used Quadra kits (pack + one head) selling at around $1k when they do pop up, I'm not sure I would justify spending the extra $$ just to get rid of a few pounds of weight.

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:15 PM
myam203
• • •
p.2 #7 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Good point. I got fixated on the new ones, but I know the originals are still great.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.2 #8 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

Note that Elinchrom doesn't promote the Li-Ion as a replacement just a different horse for the course. The only thing that is really different is are the upgraded heads which would be backward compatible. If really don't need the extra pops or less weight, there is no advantage. Besides you can always add the new battery later if you want, then you'll have a back-up. But I suspect you will see the price come down on the new unit or some special deals this winter. I think they priced it a little too high or I would have bought one myself already.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.2 #9 · Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion

I own both the quadra and quantum turbo setups with native radio setups. I haven't weighed them but feel they are close in weight with quadra being lighter but it could be that since the turbo battery and the qflash both have weight to them vs just the battery pack having weight for the quadra.

Thr t version of the qflash is 200 ws with the x version capable of 400 ws just like the quadra. Both have the uses (quadra and qflash) I think the qflash might work out as more portable for a single person shoot since it can be mounted off to the side of the camera on a bracket.

My only complaint with either is the fact that neither I'd pocket wizard CTL compatible. I've not tested the elinchrom speed skylight with the PWs flex yet but according to PWs they don't get along. I know for a fact that the qflash don't play well with the flex.

I'll probably use both together with either my canon speedlites in the field or with my Speedotron black line lights in the studio. Where the CTL isn't useful since the subject the light distance will not be changing enought or fast enough to need ttl.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:04 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password