Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

Please dont tear me a new one

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Jon Uhler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

Hair llight is a little strong....and the reflection in the glasses doesn't really work...

Looks like the key/fill is pretty good.

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:36 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #3 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

If we don't tear you a new one, how are you gonna grow?

I like this a lot. Like Jon said the hairlight is way strong, fortunately you can barely notice it. And like Jon said,the reflection on the glasses is distracting. I do like how you have her turned toward the light, which thins out her face at this angle. Overall, nice job! does that tear you a new one?

Mar 21, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #4 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

Nice modeling and tonal range on the face. The hair spot a bit hot. Unless you're going for a glasses ad, don't see the need. If glasses needed, borrow the frame without the lenses. If she wants glasses in, you'll have to raise the main light. You might try using the plus button on the LCD to check eyelash sharpness and glasses glare. Just my two cents worth.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Watsonphoto

p.1 #5 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

Not gonna tear you a new one. I believe in civilized behavior on the internet. The hair light doesn't bother me too much. A nice picture of an attractive young lady. Some helpful suggestions you can try to take this picture from 8/10 to 10/10.

1. When shooting people with glasses get them to tilt their glasses forward by a 1/4 inch. This can help with reflections.
2. I would have removed her mole. This is subjective and some photographers will remove, some won't.
3. Try to remove the hair flyaways, they are distracting.
4. I would do a very minor adjustment and do some skin smoothing to remove the neck lines.
5. I would dial down the saturation about 10% on the lips.
6. I would crop tighter and remove the shoulder on the left hand side.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM

bobl
• • • •
p.1 #6 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

Another way to photograph folks with glasses is to shoot two shots, one with glasses and one without, and then head to PS.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:24 AM
bobl
• • • •
p.1 #7 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

Another way to photograph folks with glasses is to shoot two shots, one with glasses and one without, and then head to PS.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:24 AM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #8 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

bobl wrote:

Or just take the lenses out.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:02 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #9 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

I agree about the glasses but good lighting

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM
bwalwork
• •
p.1 #10 · New to portrait, and pretty new to lighting

Watsonphoto's suggestion regarding the glasses is the best way in my opinion to avoid distracting reflections in glasses. Removing the lenses or trying to align glasses in post processing is too much work and risks other problems.

I've found that slight movements of either the light or the model's head will solve the issue. I think you've done well.

Lighting is often a personal taste thing and can easily be modified during a shoot to give a slightly different feel to a number of final images.

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password