New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

gurtch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

We evacuated our home on Oct 28, 2012. WE are still not back home because of no power. We think we may get back in around the first of April. My Epson 3800 and 7890 have been idle all this time. Any hints, precautions, or advise? I know the nozzles will likely be clogged.
Thanks in advance, all help appreciated.
Dave
Beach Haven, NJ

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. As for the printer, i fired up my 3800 after a year...just make sure you wipe/blow away any dust first and then power it on. Other than that..not much to it IMO (i'm sure others have different opinions and 1001 ways on how to turn a printer on)

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

A lot of sources, including Epson, recommend removing the ink carts and gently shaking them. This, to improve the ability of the cleaning cycles to clear clogs.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM
gurtch
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

Thanks...I will remove the cartridges and gently shake, then go to nozzle clean.
Dave

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

It would not surprise me if the 3800 worked just fine......one of the few pigment ink printers that is usually clog free.....I have one for over 6 years and never seem to have problems. The 7890 is another story......I have one of these also.....it clogs so often cleaning is just a way of life with....really sucks. I would be very carefully cleaning it if you have stubborn clogs or it will become a giant paper weight. The biggest thing is to not do more then one power clean in a day .......always run some prints between cleans and let it set overnight.....then run nozzle checks the next day and power clean again. Never do multiple power cleans in a row....you will cook the head.....then that's it...paper weight. I don't want to scare you but you have to do this right. Maybe you will be lucky and get it with a normal full clean or a few pairs cleans......but if it get stubborn be careful .
A great place to read up on this is at Luminous Landscapes Printer forum..... there is a good thread on Epson 7900 clogging. It is a very long thread...but just skim through and look for cleaning clogs.....what to do or not do. A lot of great info there.
One more thing.....if you have colors that get worse with cleans Stop.....let it sit overnight......what is happening is the head is drawing in air after it cleans. This is the reason for letting it sit for the air to bleed out. This is also what power clean does.....pushes a lot of ink out to expel air......also waists a lot of ink. But no way around it.
One more thing......find in the 7900 thread the link to changing the wiper blade......there is a cool video on how to do it.....simple but important. After you do a bunch of cleans pull the wiper blade and clean it with distilled water and a foam Q tip.
Well good luck.......I will be traveling from this Sunday till the middle of next week......but if you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to ask. Peter

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

You probably know this but your 7890 is a 7900 without the orange and green inks.....so all the info for 7900 series is the same for your printer.

http://myx900.com/ here is the site for wiper change video...

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

the printers will do a cleaning cycle when you switch them on.

After this I would suggest a nozzle check.....if not perfect wait 30 minutes then try again.....maybe do this a couple of times.

If still not clear then you will have to do a cleaning cycle...but I would personally try a couple of nozzle checks again if still not clear after the cycle....patience often works with Epsons!

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:09 AM
gurtch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

Thank you all for the very valuable information. When I get back home, I will keep you informed.
Thanks again....
Dave

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM
gurtch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

Hi all.
On wednesday, May 1 we got electric power back, and Friday May 3 we got water. We are not permantly moved back yet because of other issues, but I could access my PC and 3800, and 7890. I shook the inks before attempting try nozzle cleaning. The 3800 would NOT allow nozzle cleaning, because it said "out of LL Black ink". I removed it and shook it, and it was not empty, but I replaced it anyway. It still said out of ink and would not allow nozzle cleaning. Strangely it DID allow printing a nozzle check pattern. I thought that this action would force ink through the nozzles, and might help clean them. I did a bunch of nozzle check prints. Also, I noticed when you turn the printer on, it seems to go through some kind of self clean cycle. I turned the printer "ON" and "OFF" a bunch of times. Finally it recognized the LL Black was not empty, but then indicated another color was empty. I replaced that ink. Finally it allowed me to run more nozzle checks and cleaning cycles. I just made two perfect prints, 13"x19"!

The 7890 was a different story. It allowed cleaning cycles but at the end of each cycle it said cleaning failed...try again? I repeated them with no luck. I then tried a power clean, which failed. I tried again, and this time it did not fail. I printed a nozzle check pattern which looked perfect. Just made a perfect 24"x32" print!
Back in business after 6 months of being homeless,compliments of Sandy
Regards to all, and thanks for the suggestions and good will.
Dave Gurtcheff, Beach Haven, NJ

May 06, 2013 at 04:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Firing up printers after 5 months idle

gurtch wrote:
We evacuated our home on Oct 28, 2012. WE are still not back home because of no power. We think we may get back in around the first of April. My Epson 3800 and 7890 have been idle all this time. Any hints, precautions, or advise? I know the nozzles will likely be clogged.
Thanks in advance, all help appreciated.
Dave
Beach Haven, NJ

Sorry to hear that. If those are anything like the R3000 you may be fine. I've had zero clogs and at one point it had to have been unused for 3 months.

My R800 was another matter. Absurd. A couple days off and it would barely have a working nozzle and it would take a complete set of ink or more to fix. Eventually nothing but a special ink unclog kit and nasty process could fix it. What a mess. I believe you printers have the special inks and teflon nozzles of the R3000 though.

May 07, 2013 at 12:43 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.