Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

Just so everyone is on the same page, this is the portion of the PayPal user agreement that is the basis for the original post:

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

The fees are the entire basis that allows PayPal to exist. Paypal doesn't want attention drawn to the fee they levy. Passing the fee onto others draws attention to the fees.

Mar 23, 2013 at 02:05 AM
halie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

What's the big deal whether PayPal fees are added to the price versus subtracted from the price for non PayPal transactions? Do you think the price should be the same for both? If you want one price for both PayPal and non-Paypal, I doubt it will be the lower of the two. Sure it's in their policy, let them do something about it if it's a big deal. It doesn't seem to be.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:17 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

halie wrote:
Sure it's in their policy, let them do something about it if it's a big deal.

So, I enter voluntarily into an agreement with another party. The other party has certain conditions of the agreement. The conditions are made available to me prior to completing the agreement. Then at any time I can choose to ignore any of the conditions of the agreement because the other party doesn't actively pursue violators.

I think what's missing in this scheme is something called integrity.

Othello said "Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed."

Seems like you are implying not to wait for someone to steal your good name but to just give it up yourself.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

What happens in Vegas...stays in Vegas

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM
halie
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

Oh the humanity. Once I did something even more egregious. It was when the national speed limit was 55, and I drove 56 on I-5.

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

halie wrote:
Oh the humanity. Once I did something even more egregious. It was when the national speed limit was 55, and I drove 56 on I-5.

Be careful about self-incrimination on internet forums.
Just imagine, somewhere in the depths of the Traffic Violations Investigative Unit offices:
“Chief, I think we've just found a new lead on that 56mph-speeder cold case!”
“Finally, we can bring that miscreant to justice! Get the patrol car ready --- we have a stern verbal warning to administer.”

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:45 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

I am under the impression that PayPal's policy refers to sales on eBay, not privately. As far as asking for paypal fees in addition to the item cost, I do it often, especially on high dollar items and it has not been an issue. Some buyers do send me a check or money order instead to save the 3%, I assume my talking to them and my reputation here on FM reassures them. It is simply a matter of buyer's choice. Buy from whom you want under the terms you want. Why is that so hard?

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:38 PM
halie
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

mpmendenhall wrote:
Be careful about self-incrimination on internet forums.
Just imagine, somewhere in the depths of the Traffic Violations Investigative Unit offices:

One Adam 12, One Adam 12

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:46 PM
mpix345
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

aboudd wrote:
I am under the impression that PayPal's policy refers to sales on eBay, not privately. As far as asking for paypal fees in addition to the item cost, I do it often, especially on high dollar items and it has not been an issue. Some buyers do send me a check or money order instead to save the 3%, I assume my talking to them and my reputation here on FM reassures them. It is simply a matter of buyer's choice. Buy from whom you want under the terms you want. Why is that so hard?

The only point I am really trying to make is that the widespread use of PayPal Gift and other non-secure methods makes it easier for a scammer to scam on the Buy&Sell boards here. Is that hard to understand?

It doesn't impact me, because I ignore those ads, but it seems like it might be a decent thing to adopt a policy that helps establish a somewhat safer experience for everyone. Or maybe chiseling PayPal out of their 3% is the most important thing to enough people that it doesn't really matter?

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

In recent months established sellers have gone sour, stolen accounts used to list scams and innumerable new registrations offering tempting deals that turn out to be rip offs. Browse this forum for a litany of suffering and pain.

If you're buying and (knowingly or unknowingly) sent a $5K gift to your new best friend in Croatia or Seoul, fine by me. I won't be stopping by to share in the angst of the story of the stolen account (see Line 1 on the Buy Sell Board) or clever robber who lured you and ten other buyers by offering NIB 1D4's half off.

Fred has done all a reasonable person can do to respect people's right to choose while at the same time making it very clear that 'gift' is a dangerous option: he deserves respect for the effort.

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:14 AM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password