Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

34Ford

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

Rant on.

So why is it ok to post you want additional paypal fees here when it is against their policy?
Seems this forum it is asked more than other forums I visit. I guess people come here and see it is ok and figure why not.
Some forums I visit the seller sets a price saying "shipped". Meaning that price is what you pay, not asking for additional fees and shipping.
Gets my attentions much quicker.

I have been looking for a 17-55 lens and a 7D and when I see the seller asking for fees, I move on even if it is a good deal.

Rant off.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

Good question. Easy answer: Fred allows it, his disclaimer against its use notwithstanding Sellers do it because Fred allows Sellers also do it because they want to set a price so that prospective buyers will believe that they are getting a "better deal" compared with the exact same offering where the Seller includes all fees in their listed price.

I do as you. If I see an item I want but seller lists PP gift, BoA transfer, USPS MO, AND requires that I would pay shipping AND insurance on top of their "net to me" price, I simply keep on looking elsewhere.

Edited on Mar 21, 2013 at 01:12 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:08 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

Another one of these threads?

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:13 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

When I've sold items, I specify an all-inclusive "shipped/PP" price, and then offer discounts if the buyer wants to do local pickup (payed in cash), or send a USPS MO. This way, I provide both a "non-deceptive" full price, and a reminder that PayPal fees do cost money (and can be circumvented if the cost-conscious buyer is willing to take on a little more work/risk). PayPal Gift is just a bad idea (for anything but actual gifts).

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:38 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #6 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

There are two ways you can be fooled here: The final price includes shipping, insurance and fees. Price doesn't include those things. There are no set prices on anything. One thing for sure is that the buyer will chip away at any price. You might as well be on the high side and stick to it then be a sucker and underwrite all additional costs yourself. If you don't like the price, even if the seller has numerous GREAT ratings, then don't buy. How would I know, or even care, if you looked elsewhere before you made an offer?

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:25 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

Some sellers feel that the buyer should cover the PayPal fees because they believe that those fees pay for "buyer protection." In actuality, the fees are intended to cover the cost of processing payments, and because this allows sellers to accept various forms of payment in exchange for their goods, it is a cost that should be borne by the seller. Of course, like traditional retailers, FM sellers are free to build that cost into their selling price.

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:25 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #8 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

I agree that this practice is very prevalent here. On other forums I visit they generally make it clear in a sticky thread that asking for PayPal fees from the buyer is a violation and you rarely see it.

Just avoid those sellers that ask for you to pay the PayPal fees, insurance, etc.

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:35 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #9 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

Just avoid those sellers that ask for you to pay the PayPal fees, insurance, etc.

OR just avoid those buyers who expect a free lunch.

Although big time retailers/wholesalers ship free on certain items, they rarely ship those items at full cost. There have been many discussions on FM about camera store 'free shipping' that might take over a week, even to go 100 miles. If a FMer shipped the same way, the buyer would be pissed. If a package got damaged because there was no insurance, or lost because there was no tracking, or no signature required if the product is over $500.... the buyer loses. Shipping 2nd Day Air, my preferred way, with insurance is costly, especially if it's coast to coast. I have factored in shipping fees on many occasions only to be burned by underestimating. Sometimes I factor partial PayPal fees, but it's usually embedded in the asking price. Some of the same buyers who complain about shipping, etc. offer 2/3 of the asking price with the expected free everything on top. It's a two-way rant.

Mar 21, 2013 at 07:32 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #10 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

This discussion seems ridiculous to me.

I use "Net to me" because there are multiple options to pay. Money order, EMT, Paypal all have different cost associated with them. Fee's are higher on international paypal transaction vs domestic. Shipping varies greatly depending on shipping carrier, speed, and international vs domestic.

There's nothing deceptive about it, full costs are disclosed before any money changes hands, so what's the issue?

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

ryankarr wrote:
This discussion seems ridiculous to me.

I use "Net to me" because there are multiple options to pay.

You're right, Ryan, but the OP is specifically talking about PayPal. He is also makes it clear that he is just venting, so if the discussion isn't important to you, you can always skip it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:51 PM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

One way or another, the buyer is paying the fees.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM
drive_75
• • •
p.1 #13 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

To me it's not about the fees the seller want me to pay or shipping or insurance. I use what the seller want to gauge if this is going to be a an easy or hard transaction. I know this method doesn't paint the whole picture of transaction but I think a seller that just give me a price for the item both shipped/pp will just be easier to deal with. It's too much hassle to deal with someone that want me to pay shipping, pp, insurance on top of the price.

I also passed on seller that ask for buyer to pay for too many fees but not for cost reason.

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:04 AM
mpix345
• •
p.1 #14 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

BenV wrote:
Another one of these threads?

Yeah. And it is needed. There is another thread where folks are admitting to getting hosed because somehow they still don't realize that PP Gift or EMT is not so safe. The fact of the matter is that because everything with payments is sort of loose on here makes it easier for a scammer to succeed. They fit right in looking for Gift payments because so many other folks do it as well.

The Community should agree on a standard for the Buy and Sell boards and live with it. It would make it safer for everyone.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:40 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

mpix345 wrote:
Yeah. And it is needed. There is another thread where folks are admitting to getting hosed because somehow they still don't realize that PP Gift or EMT is not so safe. The fact of the matter is that because everything with payments is sort of loose on here makes it easier for a scammer to succeed. They fit right in looking for Gift payments because so many other folks do it as well.

The Community should agree on a standard for the Buy and Sell boards and live with it. It would make it safer for everyone.

It's near impossible to enforce. If you don't want to send payment via PP gift, move on to another sale.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:06 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

BenV wrote:
It's near impossible to enforce. If you don't want to send payment via PP gift, move on to another sale.

If Fred decided to make this a hard-and-fast rule, it would be no harder to enforce than any other forum policies --- any FS post asking for PayPal Gift could be reported to moderators, resulting in thread deletion and a warning to the seller, or a full ban for repeat offenders. PM requests for gift payment could also be reportable, resulting in similar sanctions against the seller. Whether or not this would be a good policy to enforce (vs. letting buyers/sellers make these decisions for themselves) is a different question; but enforcement wouldn't be any harder than current strictures on acceptable forum behavior.

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:20 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

In also find it odd that Paypal fees would not be part of a sale. I just assume any half way bright buyer would never send anyone cash for a online purchase. Paypal gift is for gifts and offers zero protection. When I see someone who will not accept Paypal I usually assume they have something to hide and know a third party may force a refund. The insurance charge is another funny thing. Do people really ship $2000.00 products without insurance? I guess if you paid upfront in cash they might not care if the item makes it to the buyer or not. As a seller I would want to do as much as I could to make sure my buyer got the package in good condition and not smashed by the shipper. Again any credit card or Paypal transaction would require proof of delivery, in good condition or they will reverse the charge. It is common practice to require the seller to get the item to the buyer if they want to be paid.
I really don't care for buyer ratings. They can be fake or built up to get ready for a big scam. I have more faith in credit card protection.

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:53 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

jefferies1 wrote:
When I see someone who will not accept Paypal I usually assume they have something to hide.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."
- Albert Einstein

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:30 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

+2 Dan I just think to those transactions I've completed with a personal check or USPS MO

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:41 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #20 · Asking for paypal fees, seriously?

If Fred decided to make this a hard-and-fast rule, it would be no harder to enforce than any other forum policies

+1. The owners of an internet forum have a variety of methods available to them to enforce forum rules. This particular site simply has decided to allow sellers to violate PayPal's policies, and they haven't gotten caught (yet).

John

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password