Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

andyfs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

I can't make up my mind! My current setup is a 40d with a 24-105L and a 70-200 F4L

I sold my sigma 30mm 1.4 which I loved, but I was drawn by the L glass. Now after about a year I'm getting really tired of the F4 and the size/weight of the 24-105, and I'm considering moving back to primes. Another 30mm 1.4 plus a canon/sigma 50 1.4. Seems about right, but I don't want to get tired of them in a year and want my L glass back. Don't have the money to keep the L and buy primes. I was looking for some advice. Comments are appreciated

Edit for grammar

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

The buying-then-frustration-then-buying-other-stuff is symptomatic of a common photography malady having to do with looking for perfection in gear. The sooner you get off that merry-go-round the better, perhaps.

You have two fine and useful lenses, but sometimes you wish you had something smaller and simpler and lighter. Perhaps you could simply add an inexpensive 30mm lens for now and see how it goes in another few months or a year.

Often people ask "primes or zooms?" when a more useful alternative is "primes and zooms."

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

I am in a similar position. I have a love-hate relationship with my 24-70 (size and weight, focal length) so it now lives on my 1D3, while on my 5D3 I exclusively use a Sigma 35 f1.4 and Canon 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8L and 135 f2L.

1D3 - made for abuse, wet/adverse conditions.

5D3 - mated with lenses that are capable of stunning IQ.

I would suggest keep your lenses and saving toward a Sigma 35 f1.4 (as preparation for a possible future FF upgrade).

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #4 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

Having just got a 35mm Sigma, it really isn't that much lighter than a 24-105. if that little bit of weight bothers you, then maybe you should get a smaller camera system.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:25 PM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.1 #5 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

what do you like to photograph?

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:27 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

How about grabbing the new 40mm f2.8 pancake, for under $200 how can you go wrong, for under $300 you can get the 35 f2...even the 50 f1.8 at $115 would be a possibility when budget is small...with any of these lenses you could stitch two or more images together to go wider...just a thought, another option

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #7 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

StillFingerz wrote:
How about grabbing the new 40mm f2.8 pancake, for under $200 how can you go wrong, for under $300 you can get the 35 f2...even the 50 f1.8 at $115 would be a possibility when budget is small...with any of these lenses you could stitch two or more images together to go wider...just a thought, another option

I was thinking this exact thing... Great minds and all that!

Paul

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:38 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

+1 on the 50mm f1.8. As much as I despise its build "quality" buying this should expand your horizons at a price low enough to keep your excellent L glass.

Never, ever though I would be recommending the 50mm f1.8 to anyone, but there you go!

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:47 PM
SteveF
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

As others have said, "and" not "or".

Sometimes zooms are best, sometimes primes.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:11 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #10 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

Keep the zooms add a 35 F2 or 40 2.8 or 50 1.8 as needed.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

robbymack
• •
p.1 #11 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

Keep um! Then as others have suggested invest in one or two lost cost primes for the time being 50 1.8, 40 2.8, or 35 2, would all be good and relatively cheap. The 85 1.8 is a step more expensive than those three, but also well worth the cost and still relatively cheap as well.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #12 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

I can be very happy with the 35L 1.4 and 70-200 (for me the 2.8 II). Would a 35L 1.4 (or the Sigma) and your 70-200 meet your need/wants?
Steve

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:18 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

Excellent advice from gdanmitchell above

A combo of primes and zooms may be the ticket. It is not primes or zooms, but a mix.

pick up a Canon EF 40mm F2.8 for when you want to travel light

I did and find it to be a fun lens and perfect for some pics when I want to travel light.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:23 PM
MintMar
• •
p.1 #14 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

This thread needs this poem:

My primes are fast while my zooms are not
But my zooms can frame what my primes cannot.

My primes appreciate my legs, while my zooms save my feet.
Neither helps much when I need something to eat
Except its been said, photos once in awhile turn into bread.

There are times when there are walls that my back cannot move
Or people in front that I dare not reprove.
For this kind of shot I say, “Zoom thanks a lot”.

Primes often give better brokeh and zooms often leave us a bit broker
But sometimes that rule is broke and this ain’t no joke.

Zooms can be heavy and primes may be light
But primes weigh much together to equal the might.

Primes can be smaller and easy to tote,
But a zoom can be handy and help us to gloat.

Primes are more stealth as they fit in your mount
But zooms guard your health as in this one account.
You can frame your capture without walking through streams
Allowing you to rapture the shot of your dreams.

The bottom line, as I care to define
Is that we often need both to do the job every time.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/23156102

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #15 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

andyfs wrote:
Now after about a year I'm getting really tired of the F4 and the size/weight of the 24-105, and I'm considering moving back to primes.

What would a 24, a 50, an 80, and a 100 weigh?

Later on, we'll discuss the frustrations of always having the wrong lens.

And if one is serious about reducing weight/size:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/06/Just-Posted-hands-on-Fujifilm-X-E1-preview-16MP-X-Trans-APS-C-Mirrorless-CSC

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:36 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

Cute poem - made me smile.

But don't forget that zooms are not primarily about avoidance of use of feet. Frankly, I move around more when using a zoom than when using a prime. With a prime, there are fewer compositional options and this sometimes allows me to work more quickly with a prime.

However, the zoom allows me to control subject-foreground-background relations much more carefully than when I shoot with a single focal length prime. While keeping the primary subject the same size in the frame, I can alter what appears in front of and behind that primary subject and the size of those things.

Again, primes and zooms, at least for many of us...

MintMar wrote:
This thread needs this poem:

My primes are fast while my zooms are not
But my zooms can frame what my primes cannot.

My primes appreciate my legs, while my zooms save my feet.
Neither helps much when I need something to eat
Except its been said, photos once in awhile turn into bread.

There are times when there are walls that my back cannot move
Or people in front that I dare not reprove.
For this kind of shot I say, “Zoom thanks a lot”.

Primes often give better brokeh and zooms often leave us a bit broker
But sometimes that rule is broke and this ain’t no
...Show more

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

If you are able to stop down I don't see a major advantage in primes these days, the good quality zooms are excellent and have the advantage of letting you frame precisely to avoid loss of pixels if you can't move about.

If you need fast lenses or a particular type of bokeh then primes might suit better

But for tripod work, well stopped down my 24-70L is as good as most primes.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:01 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #18 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

It seems to me that your problem isn't so much "primes vs. zooms" as having your most-used focal lengths covered.

24mm isn't very wide on a 1.6 crop. When I shot with a 1.6 crop body, I had a 17-40 f/4L that lived on that body, and a 70-200 for when that was needed. I had little use for the lengths between 40 and 70 (and I had a 28-70 f/2.8L for those rare occasions).

The 17-40 was fairly small, light, and covered my most-used focal lengths. the 24-105 does that very well, for me, on a full frame, but not so much on a crop.

We can't tell you what you want to shoot with. But it seems to me that you're missing the shorter focal lengths, and perhaps faster glass. That can be solved with a fast prime or two, or a zoom.

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:34 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #19 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

dhphoto wrote:
If you are able to stop down I don't see a major advantage in primes these days, the good quality zooms are excellent and have the advantage of letting you frame precisely to avoid loss of pixels if you can't move about.

If you need fast lenses or a particular type of bokeh then primes might suit better

But for tripod work, well stopped down my 24-70L is as good as most primes.

The new 24-70 II is as good as most primes at f2.8!

The sharpness advantage of primes is largely irrelevant now unless you need every little bit you can get from, say, a 100mm macro or something.

Amazing engineering!!

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Frustrated... Primes vs zooms

Yes (amazing ingeneering)! I exchanged my 70-200 4.0 L IS with the 100 L Macro two years ago. And I love the 100 although I do not do macro. But I am pretty sure I will switch back. The two 70-200 Ls (2.8 IS II and 4.0 L IS) are as good at 100mm at 2.8/4.0 (or even better at the corners). And they are much more flexible. If the 24-70 4.0 L IS would offer the same IQ like the 24-70 2.8 L (and just one stop less, but with IS instead) like their 70-200 counterparts I would go 24-70 and 70-200 4.0 Ls and a 6D and it would give me what I need in 99%. No prime ever would be able to do that. Maybe I would like to add the Sigma 35mm 1.4 sooner or later, too. To encounter the night.

Ralph

Edited on Mar 21, 2013 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password