Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10       11       end

Archive 2013 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

thw2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

cputeq wrote:
Those comparing to m43 are missing a huge point - Canon doesnt have crap for small form factor compared to m43...

It is not just bodies alone.

Thom Hogan hints at the same thing. He is very impressed with the size and weight of the SL1, but Canon/Nikon really need to improve on their selection of EF-S/DX prime lenses. At least Nikon has a DX 35 mm f/1.8 lens.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:24 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

skibum5 wrote:
On B&H is just talks about Hybrid CMOS II and that is just the contrast based AF system on it (which is supposedly still slower than competition by a long shot, even as hybrid?) and nothing to do with BSI or better DR/SNR. So there doesn't really seem to be evidence for a new sensor for the DSLRs. Not that I was expecting one before late 2013 anyway. It didn't seem to make sense they'd have them ready yet, at this point seeing what was put in 5D3/1DX and other info.

I read the announcement from Canon Sweden. They wrote it was a new sensor. And the main improvement and difference from their old similar sensor was that this new one has AF points spread out on 80% of the sensor. The old one only had AF points on 15% of the sensor

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:54 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

thw2 wrote:
...but Canon/Nikon really need to improve on their selection of EF-S/DX prime lenses.

What they need to do is stop playing games and being so stingy with their fullframe sensors - we already have APS-C sensor cameras for Africa.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:02 AM
godfather
• • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

thw2 wrote:
Thom Hogan hints at the same thing. He is very impressed with the size and weight of the SL1, but Canon/Nikon really need to improve on their selection of EF-S/DX prime lenses. At least Nikon has a DX 35 mm f/1.8 lens.

I wonder if the 40 stm failed to meet sales expectations... Canon had to drop the price by 25% soon after release. If the profit margin is not there they will not put the R&D $'s into a ef-s 18 or whatever.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:06 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

MintMar wrote:
Well, this is exactly how it works in xxxD world since 400D. They also have high precision ("f/2.8 sensitivity") in the center point.

No it's not exactly the same as in the xxxD world since 400D. The 6D center AF point is much better and different from the 400D.
The 6D AF point have both a cross point, and an extra sensitive vertical line AF point. It's very sensitive and rated to EV -3. That's even better than the 1DX or 5D3. And way better than the 400D

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Paul Mo wrote:
What they need to do is stop playing games and being so stingy with their fullframe sensors - we already have APS-C sensor cameras for Africa.

We already have APS-C sensor cameras for Africa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:14 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
We already have APS-C sensor cameras for Africa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we do, don't we?

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:16 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

very nice specs, Im gonna pick one up

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:53 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I read the announcement from Canon Sweden. They wrote it was a new sensor. And the main improvement and difference from their old similar sensor was that this new one has AF points spread out on 80% of the sensor. The old one only had AF points on 15% of the sensor

Yeah it's only new in terms of contrast-based hybrid AF, not in terms of image quality or the main purpose of the sensor it seems (not that I really expected any different yet).

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:45 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

skibum5 wrote:
Yeah it's only new in terms of contrast-based hybrid AF, not in terms of image quality or the main purpose of the sensor it seems (not that I really expected any different yet).

So sad... Since 70D is rumored to use the same sensor as the 100D, it's going to be another disappointment.

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

thw2 wrote:
So sad... Since 70D is rumored to use the same sensor as the 100D, it's going to be another disappointment.

I have the 18 meg sensor in a 550D and a 7D and I think it's excellent (for a cropper)

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:47 AM
danb121
• •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

dhphoto wrote:
I have the 18 meg sensor in a 550D and a 7D and I think it's excellent (for a cropper)

I have a 550D and the pictures are nice however when you push the RAW files in PP you do get banding which is damn annoying!
The 6D on the other hand has beautiful RAW files and they are a dream to work with... hopefully the T5i/700D sensor will address the banding issue!

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:20 AM
MintMar
• •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
No it's not exactly the same as in the xxxD world since 400D. The 6D center AF point is much better and different from the 400D.
The 6D AF point have both a cross point, and an extra sensitive vertical line AF point. It's very sensitive and rated to EV -3. That's even better than the 1DX or 5D3. And way better than the 400D

No, not really. In good light, 6D isn't giving you any advantage over 400D, at least within paper specs. Look up center point in 400D. Within published specs, there isn't any difference except the -3EV sensitivity.

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:50 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

danb121 wrote:
I have a 550D and the pictures are nice however when you push the RAW files in PP you do get banding which is damn annoying!
The 6D on the other hand has beautiful RAW files and they are a dream to work with... hopefully the T5i/700D sensor will address the banding issue!

Or don't push the files so far, use fill-in, bracket & combine, whatever.

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

MintMar wrote:
No, not really. In good light, 6D isn't giving you any advantage over 400D, at least within paper specs. Look up center point in 400D. Within published specs, there isn't any difference except the -3EV sensitivity.

There is a big difference both in real life and also within paper specs. It is like Sven wrote.
The 400D has a center cross point. The cross point is two AF lines that makes that cross.
The 6D center point is also one vertical AF line and one horizonatal AF line making that cross point. But the 6D also have one extra vertical line that is very sensitive. So the 6D has 3 lines and not 2 like the 400D.
This makes the 6D center point better than the 400D both in good light and low light.
1DX dual cross point = 4 AF lines
6D cross point + vertical AF line = 3 AF lines
400D cross point = 2 AF lines

Edited on Mar 22, 2013 at 09:33 AM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:24 AM
danb121
• •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

dhphoto wrote:
Or don't push the files so far, use fill-in, bracket & combine, whatever.

I'm fully aware of how to get the best out of my 550D and I think that it's a lovely camera, I'm just saying and it's been widely reported that it suffers from banding.

Some of us like to use different looks for different situations...... some urban landscape (which I do a lot of) you might want to push files and give a grungy look; and in low light areas where tripods or flash aren't allowed the slow shutter speeds make it very difficult to bracket; this for me is where the 6D excels!!

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:31 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

dhphoto wrote:
...use fill-in, bracket & combine, whatever.

Nothing personal, (this is addressing technique not dhphoto), but you know, in real life, this type of advice often amounts to no more than codswallop.

And that's because often people are shooting dynamic things (things move) so they can't 'HDR' them and the problem with 'fill' flash is that it not only 'fills' but can change the entire scene - it is hardest to tell if flash has been used when it is very diffuse and diffusion to such a degree is not always possible.

danb121 wrote:
The 6D on the other hand has beautiful RAW files and they are a dream to work with...

You should check out files from the EOS-1N RS.

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:48 AM
danb121
• •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Paul Mo wrote:
the problem with 'fill' flash is that it not only 'fills' but can change the entire scene

I don't use fill in flash for this reason and I wasn't bothered about the lack of popup flash on the 6D but this isn't a 6D thread it's a rebel thread...

All I was saying earlier was hopefully the T5i sensor is a brand new design without banding problems

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM
MintMar
• •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Lars Johnsson wrote:
There is a big difference both in real life and also within paper specs. It is like Sven wrote.
The 400D has a center cross point. The cross point is two AF lines that makes that cross.
The 6D center point is also one vertical AF line and one horizonatal AF line making that cross point. But the 6D also have one extra vertical line that is very sensitive. So the 6D has 3 lines and not 2 like the 400D.
This makes the 6D center point better than the 400D both in good light and low light.
1DX dual cross
...Show more

No it's not. It's got the 20/30/5D/5D2/6D style cross point in center, i.e. crossed normal precision baselines for slow lenses, and high precision baseline sensitive for vertical detail with fast (f/2.8 or brighter) lenses. What you describe as "400D" is the case of 300D, 350D, 1000D and 1100D.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

MintMar wrote:
point
You still not get it. The 6D don't have the same AF center point as all the other cameras you compare it with. It has 3 AF lines in the center point. The cross is 3 AF lines and not 2. And that's why it's rated to EV -3 if using the center point. If all the others all the way back to 20D have exactly the same center point, they would also be rated for EV -3
Canon also say it's newly developed and new

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM
       10       11       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

10       11       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password