Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

robbymack
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Looks like the rebel line will get smaller going forward doubt you'll see a t6 rebel. The t4 was getting to close to the xxd line anyway in specs and form factor it makes sense to clean the slate and start anew. I know most of you gear heads don't like to hear this but these cameras aren't for you, They are for folks who like their iPhones but now have a gaggle of kids and want something a little better at taking pictures. For that use they are very capable.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:48 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

can't wait for the t27i

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:52 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

but whatever, we all know they update these things every two weeks just to keep movin' them off the target shelves.

the mini-dslr seems pretty cool. at least they kept the friggin' viewfinder and didn't pull a pentax

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:54 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

EOS20 wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8576262367_40fce8682e.jpg

Wow. This does beat the 20D->30D update by a mile.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:55 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

SL1 looks like a winner, would make a good upgrade from t2i.

Sensor wise, canon has hit a plateau for some time, those who want/need better, Nikon is the way to go.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:58 PM
ocir
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

SL1 battery only good for <400 shots? Hmm!

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:04 PM
MintMar
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

jorkata wrote:
Wow. This does beat the 20D->30D update by a mile.

If the sensor performs the same, then true, we have the best example of "Canon upgrade" so far.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:16 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

dhphoto wrote:
It seems the new 18-55 is actually bigger than the old one, but I tried 4 or 5 of the IS versions and never found one I could tolerate for sharpness at wideangle at any aperture. The corners were just mush even at f8-f11

I do not know what kind of luck or batch problem you had. But I've tried a few 18-55 IS kit lens and they are darn sharp wide-open from 18 mm to 55 mm. In fact, its wide-open performance is even better than that of the venerable 17-55 f/2.8 IS. No kidding. Contrast is not its forte but its edge-to-edge resolution is hard to beat.

Don't take my word for it. Check out Photozone MTF results.

Addendum:

17-55 f/2.8 IS (left) vs 18-55 f/3.5-6.6 IS (right). Both at 17-18 mm, f/3.5, ISO 100. Extreme right corner of image.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:29 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Yeah, I think they had a bum 17-55 because they are much better than that.

On the other hand I really like the new SL1, I am glad I waited so long to go mirrorless.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:42 PM
bboule
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

I'm surprised more people don't find the SL1 interesting.. it is almost the same size as a lot of these mirrorless cameras right? And yet it has a bigger sensor than a lot of them (compared to m4/3), uses your existing stuff, and has the optical viewfinder and phase detect AF...

Personally I'm not nearly sold on EVFs and the EVIL cameras.. If I think cynically they almost seem like "emperor's new clothes" to me and just the camera industry's attempt to try and get everyone to buy into another system. That or Oly/Pentax/Panasonic's attempt to shift the goalposts after realizing they can't keep up with Sony/Canon/Nikon when it comes to more traditional offerings.

I don't "get" m4/3 cameras that cost more than the low end Canon/Nikon DSLRs with lenses that also cost a lot, don't have much variety, etc.. so it's cool to see APS-C DLRs marching forward with miniaturization.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ghost
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

The SL1 with a 40mm pancake combo intrigues me. Might make for a nice alternative to the highly successful OM-D.
Maybe wait a year and pick it up for a song.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:52 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

thw2 wrote:
I do not know what kind of luck or batch problem you had. But I've tried a few 18-55 IS kit lens and they are darn sharp wide-open from 18 mm to 55 mm. In fact, its wide-open performance is even better than that of the venerable 17-55 f/2.8 IS. No kidding. Contrast is not its forte but its edge-to-edge resolution is hard to beat.

A lot of people agree with you, I just can't understand why but I tried copy after copy and they were all just awful.

Admittedly some were slightly better in the corners at wideangle and then softer somewhere else, but I am yet to find one I could come close to living with, which is a shame as they are light, small and versatile.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:57 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

bboule wrote:
I'm surprised more people don't find the SL1 interesting.

I do find the SL1 fascinating. I'm also sure it'll sell like hot cakes... particularly in Asian countries like Japan.

I have the OM-D. Its contrast AF is amazingly fast. Couple that with a working face recognition algorithm and you have a darn useful tool in your hands. However, any AF advantage the OM-D has is lost because of the retarded EVF response.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:04 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Is the SL1 AF only cross type in the center? It does look pretty interesting, but it would be better if they put all of that into their next EOS-M. I'm also curious to see if there will be any improvements in the new sensor. Also they need more pancakes too compliment the small size.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:16 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

thw2 wrote:
I have the OM-D. Its contrast AF is amazingly fast. Couple that with a working face recognition algorithm and you have a darn useful tool in your hands. However, any AF advantage the OM-D has is lost because of the retarded EVF response.

Solution is on page 92 of the OM-D manual: Set the EVF frame rate to "High"

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:21 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

boingyman wrote:
Is the SL1 AF only cross type in the center? It does look pretty interesting, but it would be better if they put all of that into their next EOS-M. I'm also curious to see if there will be any improvements in the new sensor. Also they need more pancakes too compliment the small size.

It's only the centre point.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:30 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

boingyman wrote:

It is all X-type like the T5i and 60d. I am bowled over that Canon would use a robust AF system on this mini-me Rebel while the 6d is only X-type at the center.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:30 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

bboule wrote:
I'm surprised more people don't find the SL1 interesting.. it is almost the same size as a lot of these mirrorless cameras right? And yet it has a bigger sensor than a lot of them (compared to m4/3), uses your existing stuff, and has the optical viewfinder and phase detect AF...

Personally I'm not nearly sold on EVFs and the EVIL cameras.. If I think cynically they almost seem like "emperor's new clothes" to me and just the camera industry's attempt to try and get everyone to buy into another system. That or Oly/Pentax/Panasonic's attempt to shift the goalposts after
...Show more

+1

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:31 PM
voltaire
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

I looked at the specs and it looks like the SL1 doesn't do bulb exposure. It says 30 second maximum shutter speed. Can anyone confirm this, please?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

2 ends of the spectrum.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:34 PM
       6              10       11       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell