Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

sqdstf
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

I'm a Canon shooter and right now, shooting Canon, is like being a Mets fan. You gotta believe.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:03 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.4 #2 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Paul Mo wrote:
Call me cynical but I'd put money on it.

X2

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.4 #3 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Wow. Just wow. Can this really be all that there is? Apparently, Canon has decided that the "prosumer" market segment is just not viable.

Thanks for nothing, Canon.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:29 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Whats the betting that on this showing the 7D2 will be identical to the 7D but just with a touch screen?

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:45 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #5 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Sayeret18 wrote:
Wow. Just wow. Can this really be all that there is? Apparently, Canon has decided that the "prosumer" market segment is just not viable.

Thanks for nothing, Canon.

The 'pro-sumer' or 'semi-pro' market is still viable, a 70D and 7DII have been rumored, can't imagine them not happening at some point. And didn't Canon just release something targeted at that segment...called it the 6D I'm thinkin

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:46 PM
SchnellerGT
• •
p.4 #6 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

David Baldwin wrote:
Whats the betting that on this showing the 7D2 will be identical to the 7D but just with a touch screen?

If they do that, I won't invest in a 24-70LII. The D600, even with its oil spots, makes it too tempting to jump ship.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:54 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Sayeret18 wrote:

On the contrary, Canon knows that the "prosumer" (prolific consumer) is compelled to buy every single new camera they release, regardless of price, performance, or specifications...

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.4 #8 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

StillFingerz wrote:
The 'pro-sumer' or 'semi-pro' market is still viable, a 70D and 7DII have been rumored, can't imagine them not happening at some point. And didn't Canon just release something targeted at that segment...called it the 6D I'm thinkin

I thought that the general consensus was that the 6D was best thought of as a full frame Rebel, and that the FF step-up from the prosumer 7D was the 5D3.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:03 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.4 #9 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

David Baldwin wrote:

Don't think so, my guess is much more...okay hope

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

As I have seen no end of comments here about how the Rebels are 'toys' and 'impossible to grip' and 'give me cramp after 5 minutes' I'm surprised anyone is even considering the SL1

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

voltaire
• • •
p.4 #11 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

SL 1 is really tempting because of its size and the ability to use our existing lenses on it to the point that it might look awkward at times--imagine it with a 500mm..

I sold my micro 4/3 set-up (GH2) over a year ago including all the lenses which was an entire system all together. With the SL1, this might just fill that niche where you are already bought into the Canon system and yet yearn for a lighter body instead of lugging around a pro body.

SL 1 also will be helpful for those getting into astro photography because of its lighter weight you can now put on a bigger lens on the Vixen Polarie which has a seven pound limit. Fred, are you reading this?

As far as the 18-55mm kit lens. I remember the 18-55 lens on my 20D that was only sharp at f/8. I wonder if that is still the case.

i'm almost ready to order. Just waiting for reviews to show up.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:11 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

voltaire wrote:
As far as the 18-55mm kit lens. I remember the 18-55 lens on my 20D that was only sharp at f/8. I wonder if that is still the case.

It seems the new 18-55 is actually bigger than the old one, but I tried 4 or 5 of the IS versions and never found one I could tolerate for sharpness at wideangle at any aperture. The corners were just mush even at f8-f11

I think the little camera looks really nifty but I can't see the point of pairing it with the 40mm pancake unless you want a 64mm equivalent as your 'walkaround' length

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:18 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.4 #13 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Yawn. I almost fell asleep reading the spec list. The only thing keeping me from jumping ship is I don't want the hassle of selling all my Canon gear.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:24 PM
voltaire
• • •
p.4 #14 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

dhphoto wrote:

Very true. Good point.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.4 #15 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

cputeq wrote:
It's pretty sad how badly Nikon is whipping Canon's butt in the crop sensor quality.

Even more so in the FF department.

Just compare files between the 5D3 and D800 @ base ISOs. Do some shadow lifting and see what happens. The difference is quite disturbing.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.4 #16 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

andyjaggy82 wrote:
The only thing keeping me from jumping ship is I don't want the hassle of selling all my Canon gear.

No hassle needed, just give it away to your fellow FM'ers. We will take good care of it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:30 PM
MintMar
• •
p.4 #17 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

AGeoJO wrote:
Is the Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II a retrofocus design then? I am not sure about the IQ of this lens, it is a MF lens and the max aperture is only so-so at best but based on its size, it is qualified to be labeled as a pancake lens and it is for FF format.

I think it is. It's quite tall, much thicker than some Pentax 40mm pancakes (that is what I call pancake). Along with the abovementioned Zuiko, these are quite thin for ~20mm FL, but I would call them near-pancake. Also for EF AF lens, there should be some space for the AF motor, so I'm not sure I can see a 20mm EF lens that I will mistake for a thick mount cover ;-)

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:31 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.4 #18 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

^ rickruz yes true but in most of my shots, a non-issue. I actually started with a clean slate to FF recently and could have very well gone that way but frankly besides the actual sensor, nothing about the D800/600 really excites me. Canon's 5d3 "as a whole" I liked better and it fits as sort of a FF 7-D like camera, which is just what I wanted.

Edited on Mar 21, 2013 at 02:32 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:32 PM
asbalyan
• •
p.4 #19 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Is Canon throwing towel in T-series market segmentation, if there is left. For budget as well as normal consumer, size is becoming key factor. SL1 will keep Canon business of EF-S as well as EF lenses intact and in size can compete with smaller size cameras...

I am not seeing any point of T-series cameras now... (Canon is keeping 3 lines of crop cameras: Mirrorless, small SLRs with SL-series and prosumer series........ 3 lines of full frame: Entry level, 5-series and pro/higher end)... Not seeing T5/6/7 going anywhere...

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:32 PM
MintMar
• •
p.4 #20 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

StillFingerz wrote:
Well that depends on how you define better, both T bodies have more cross-type AF points then the 6D this is true, but all those cross-types are only sensitive to -0.5 ev and f5.6, ONLY the center point kicks in with with a diagonal cross with lenses of f2.8 or faster. The 6D has only one cross-type sensor at it's center AF point but it's sensitive to -3ev and the cross-type becomes active also with lenses that are f5.6 or faster.

I'm not defending Canon for putting only one cross-type AF sensor in the 6D, that's just nuts when they
...Show more

Well, let's say that I'd expect something substantially better in the AF department for a $2000 camera, when looking at the AF of $850 camera. Not just "jack of all-except-one trades and master of one" ;-)

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:34 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password