Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

New digic alwasy appears about a year in P&S 6-12 months in advance of DSLR. I assume 7D II will get full digic 6. The digic 6 in the P&S is not the same as you'll get in a DSLR of course, it'll only have a subset of features due to lack of processing power.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

godfather wrote:
I think he is suggesting Canon should provide some other pancake options

Oh, OK . Thanks!

godfather wrote:
I'm very interested in the SL1. The difference in size (especially height and thickness) is huge! Canon NEEDS to produce a 20mm pancake lens and I'll preorder the combo on the announcement.

There is a good likelihood that I would get this camera, too and a 20mm pancake would indeed be a welcome addition. The wide angle setting of the new STM lens is 18mm and at that FL, the aperture is f/3.5. It is not that much slower, and the zoom lens has IS. Although a 20mm f/2.0 lens would be awesome but it would probably not be qualified as a pancake lens and it would be expensive. Oh, well.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM
MintMar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

godfather wrote:
I'm very interested in the SL1. The difference in size (especially height and thickness) is huge! Canon NEEDS to produce a 20mm pancake lens and I'll preorder the combo on the announcement.

You need to make retrofocus lens design for such short FL. Therefore you can't make it a pancake lens.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

skibum5 wrote:
where did you see that info?

Here ya go Ski, there was an article out of Canon Japan that Google Chrome translated, late last night that listed the sensor as BMI-CMOS II, I can't find it now, the link is broken, Canon must have removed it, but here are two instances of a reference to BMI-CMOS...hope it helps. Jerry

Canon PowerShot SX280 HS highlight is low-light
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sx280-hs/4505-6501_7-35642130.html

Canon PowerShot SX280 HS and SX270 HS specifications
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/21/Canon-announces-SX270-HS-20x-superzoom-and-SX280-HS-with-GPS-and-Wi-Fi#specs

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

MintMar wrote:
You need to make retrofocus lens design for such short FL. Therefore you can't make it a pancake lens.

Ooops, forgot about that.

Does anybody have a guess too how low in focal length a pancake can be made with the EF-S mount?

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Matt Grum wrote:
Just for fun: http://camerasize.com/compare/#448,152

I call that EOS Girl meets EOS Man!

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM
sqdstf
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Wait a sec...so theoretically the T5i has better auto focus capabilities than the 6D?
Please tell me I'm wrong.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

Monito wrote:
Canon website says (twice on each page) that both the SL1 and T5i have a Digic 5 (five), not 6.

Hi Mo, it's the SX270 and SX280 that have the Digic6 in them...see my links in an above reply to Ski, these models also have BSI-CMOS sensors...Jerry

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

And so dies any hope of a real mirrorless product from Canon...

It is sort of amusing to see a few sites go ga-ga over the size of the 100D. It is about the same size as the 350D was. Like the rest of America the Rebel series has just gotten obese over the years. Sony and Pentax already have DSLR bodies about the size of the 100D.

That said - there is significant weight savings in the 100D and that is a good thing. And unlike Canon's usual approach to things they haven't crippled the 100D compared to the 700D. If I was still shooting Canon APS-C the 100D would be on my "to buy" list as I always wanted the most featured but smallest body.

As to the sensor I suspect "newly designed" won't mean anything. Canon hasn't changed or improved their APS-C sensor technology in almost five years at this point. There hasn't been a hint they plan to either. It will still have poor read noise compared to the competition and uncompetitive base ISO DR. Still, more than "good enough" for all but the obsessed pixel peeper and DxO junkie.

Finally the 18-55 just demonstrates clearly why a slightly shaved body of the 100D is moot compared to a real mirrorless offering. That lens is giant compared to mirrorless kit lenses. As already pointed out the long flange distance guarantees there will never be a compact WA or UWA for such a camera.

So to me I see:

- Wonderful that they slimmed the Rebel down, it was getting too fat already. Would love to see a FF offering along the same lines (but won't I'm sure).
- Worried that this means they'll never be serious about mirrorless and this offering just reinforces that a small DSLR body in no way competes with a mirrorless when it comes to size of a system (i.e. you need a lens or two).

Ken

Edited on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
MintMar
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

sqdstf wrote:
Wait a sec...so theoretically the T5i has better auto focus capabilities than the 6D?
Please tell me I'm wrong.

On paper, 650D already had it better. With the exception of light sensitivity, that is.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

MintMar wrote:

Yep, but Olympus made 21mm in the past which were quite small.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
howard
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

The DPreview hands-on preview comment really gave me a chuckle: "Remarkably similar to its predecessor, the Canon 700D's new model number seems intended more to showcase the new 18-55mm STM lens than to highlight the new camera's few minor changes."

This is really a polite way of saying "lame".

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

I for one hope the sensor is actually improved. There's no evidence to show otherwise.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

MintMar wrote:

Is the Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL II a retrofocus design then? I am not sure about the IQ of this lens, it is a MF lens and the max aperture is only so-so at best but based on its size, it is qualified to be labeled as a pancake lens and it is for FF format.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

"Newly developed" my ass. This is the same 18MP sensor they've been rehashing for years. Sure, they rework a few electrical features and call it "new".

At most, we'll see some updated software wizardry ala 6D vs 5D3 noise improvements. It's pretty sad how badly Nikon is whipping Canon's butt in the crop sensor quality.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

StillFingerz wrote:
Here ya go Ski, there was an article out of Canon Japan that Google Chrome translated, late last night that listed the sensor as BMI-CMOS II, I can't find it now, the link is broken

From Canon's press release for the SX280HS and SX270HS:

"At the heart of both models is Canon’s next generation DIGIC 6 image processor, enabling the capture of outstanding images in even the lowest of light conditions, as well as realistically smooth, Full HD movies at up to 60fps...

The HS System pairs the new DIGIC 6 processor with a 12.1 Megapixel high-sensitivity CMOS sensor to deliver exceptional images in low light, with minimal blur and noise, as well as wide dynamic range – perfect for capturing shadowy detail as the sun sets on holiday."

If the 100D truly uses a new BMI-CMOS II sensor, I will like to know how the 70D performs when it gets released...

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM
sqdstf
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

MintMar wrote:
On paper, 650D already had it better. With the exception of light sensitivity, that is.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

MintMar wrote:

Well that depends on how you define better, both T bodies have more cross-type AF points then the 6D this is true, but all those cross-types are only sensitive to -0.5 ev and f5.6, ONLY the center point kicks in with with a diagonal cross with lenses of f2.8 or faster. The 6D has only one cross-type sensor at it's center AF point but it's sensitive to -3ev and the cross-type becomes active also with lenses that are f5.6 or faster.

I'm not defending Canon for putting only one cross-type AF sensor in the 6D, that's just nuts when they could have put the f5.6 sensitive cross-types for it's outer points. You find more folks putting fast primes and zooms on FF bodies, why Canon didn't go all cross-types is just a...WTF.

The 6D's center point is a freak, one-of-a-kind-so-far AF cross-type, given many use center point recompose for shooting, this hybrid AF sensor is pretty likable, if not just down-right-cool...IMHO

Edited on Mar 21, 2013 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

cputeq wrote:
"Newly developed" my ass. This is the same 18MP sensor they've been rehashing for years. Sure, they rework a few electrical features and call it "new".

Call me cynical but I'd put money on it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Just announced: Canon Rebel SL1, T5i & Powershot SX-280

cputeq wrote:

At most, we'll see some updated software wizardry ala 6D vs 5D3 noise improvements. It's pretty sad how badly Nikon is whipping Canon's butt in the crop sensor quality.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

I suspect this is true.

Here is a comparison of what Canon has done in the APS-C sensor line in six years along with where the competition has gotten.

Ken

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:02 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password