Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

I cleaned my sensor somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 shots using Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs and Eclipse. It looked pretty bad at small aperture and in bokeh highlights. I finally got around to checking it again at shot 9,302. It was at f/16 straight at a blue sky and without a doubt the dust or whatever debris was originally being released so excessively has settled way, way down. It could probably use another cleaning but based on what I'm seeing I would not be surprised if this issue dissipates entirely over a few thousand more shots. My main thing is portraits so I'm usually at f5.6 up to f/1.8 and this has never really affected me in any practical way but I'll clean it again just in case.

brad

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:39 AM
MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

unless you have 1 lens glued on your camera you are gonna get something on the sensor. I don't have a D600 so I can't comment on how bad it was/is but my D4 regularly gets some dust bunnies, but I also change lenses. A quick clean works!

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:44 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #3 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

Yeah, I'm definitely not worried about it.

brad

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #4 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

good to hear

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:59 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #5 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

Why testing at f16 when you are using 5.6?

Mar 21, 2013 at 07:28 AM
cmarqz

p.1 #6 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

Thanks for the update. I have a few spots on mine (bought a refurb and haven't cleaned it yet,) but so far, it hasn't bothered me much.

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:24 AM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #7 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

Thanks for the update. Mine doesn't seem to respond as well. I have more than 9000 so far and this is what I get. I love the camera so I am sending it for one last cleaning to see if the issue disappears. Dust doesn't show until f/8+, however, I shoot a lot of landscape so I am typically between f/8 and f/22. As many say, dust is a fact of life and that's indeed true, but I doubt it's normal when it's to this extent. Here's an illustrative example with a crop (it gets worse if I increase contrast).

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:42 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #8 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

now that is a lot of dust!!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #9 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

hjanssen wrote:

because the first time it unexpectedly showed up in bokeh highlights at wide aperture and it was pretty noticable. I said it didn't affect me in a practical way because the pics that it showed up in were basically throw-away experiments and it was a particular sort of bokeh highlights but I don't want to risk being surprised by having a bunch of dust showing up on a client's pictures. I needed to know if I was due for another cleaning before a shoot this Saturday.

brad

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #10 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

The best way to deal with this is learning to clean the sensor yourself. It's not a big hassle.
I check my camera after every shoot and clean when necessary. It takes only a few minutes.
I have a 3-way strategy for this:
1. use a rocket blower
2. use a anti static brush
3. use wet clean
I once messed up in almost 10 years of cleaning and had to drop it at a service station.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SAng
• •
p.1 #11 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

OP, thanks for the update. I'm mildly interested in the D600, may not ever buy one but if I do this is a very useful data point.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:02 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #12 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

Yes, I did clean the sensor myself between 3,000 and 4,000 actuations.

brad

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:33 PM
pburke
• • •
p.1 #13 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

After not getting anywhere with brushes and blowers, I wet cleaned my D600 for the first time yesterday.

500 shots on the odometer, and at f16 on a blue sky I had to clone out about 30 spots. It took me five Copper Hill wet swabings before I finally had it clean. 4 swabs just didn't make the toughest spots go away at all. The 5th one I moved across about 10 times, because I figured I am not going to blow all my swabs on one cleanup job, plus all sctratchy loose grit was most likely gone after the first 4 cleanings.

Not difficult to do, plus I figure it's not a bad thing to have wet cleaning supplies and the knowledge how to do it. Obviously disappointed that you have to do this after just 500 frames, but eventually it'll run out of oil or whatever it is that is leaving spots along the bottom edge of the sensor (top left of image mostly)

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:50 PM
brunobarolo
• •
p.1 #14 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

pburke wrote:
After not getting anywhere with brushes and blowers, I wet cleaned my D600 for the first time yesterday.

500 shots on the odometer, and at f16 on a blue sky I had to clone out about 30 spots. It took me five Copper Hill wet swabings before I finally had it clean. 4 swabs just didn't make the toughest spots go away at all. The 5th one I moved across about 10 times, because I figured I am not going to blow all my swabs on one cleanup job, plus all sctratchy loose grit was most likely gone after the
...Show more
Thanks for the reminder! I'll keep waiting for the D610. Until that arrives, my D700 will serve me just fine

Apr 03, 2013 at 09:55 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #15 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

Mine has a status of "parts hold", does anyone have an estimate how long it would take from there to fix it?

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:24 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #16 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

I dig those samples, looks like real Grain

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:30 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #17 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

Just an update, I received the D600 yesterday and I can say that all in all it was a pleasant experience with Nikon service center. It took 3 weeks since I've sent it and it stayed on "parts hold" for about 10 days under B2 category. They shipped it 2nd shipping and apologized for the prolonged period. They replaced the "shutter mechanism", cleaned the Low-pass filter cleaning and general check up.

I did a few casual tests and it's nothing like what it was before I sent it (see above). It only had a few spots at +f/16 that I can certainly live with or I can clean up later. Hopefully this remains the case in the future.

The camera's arrival coincided with the arrival of my 14-24, and my 24 PC-E is on the way. So I hope my final paper won't suffer considerably

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM
evan47

p.1 #18 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

has anyone wet cleaned their sensor themselves and had their warranty voided by nikon?
it would be interesting to know if they can actually tell if you have self cleaned the sensor.

Apr 20, 2013 at 06:45 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #19 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

MikeW wrote:
unless you have 1 lens glued on your camera you are gonna get something on the sensor. I don't have a D600 so I can't comment on how bad it was/is but my D4 regularly gets some dust bunnies, but I also change lenses. A quick clean works!

This is true for external debris. What many users are experiencing is minute drops of oil showing up on the sensor. This does dissipate with use. This will occur even if you never change lenses.

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:28 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #20 · My D600 sensor dust update at over 9,000 shots

hjanssen wrote:

..Because this is the way it should be done? Do you only shoot at 5.6?

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password