Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Profoto Life batteries with older packs

stuuke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

Has anyone tried the Profoto life batteries with the older packs like the B2? Did you notice a bump in performance? Is it similar in total flashes to the B3?

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:41 AM
316shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

I've never used the B3, but do use the new life batteries in both my 7b and 7b2. They perform extremely well and are significantly lighter weight. Have never tested the total number of flashes, but can say that while I would often drain and old battery when shooting at or near max power, I have yet to drain one of the new ones. They have made me really love my 7b's again.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #3 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

Did you have your B2 serviced to use the Life battery? I noticed on profoto's website they recommend an service adjustment with the B2 but not the 7B to maximize the performance.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM
316shooter
• • •
p.1 #4 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

I have not had it serviced, but will check into details of that. It's performed very well as-is.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #5 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

I kind of figured it would work but here's the note on the Profoto website

NOTE! Profoto recommends a service update of Pro-B2 if used with the LiFe battery in order maximize the advantage of the battery and prolong the lifetime of the generator.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #6 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

stuuke wrote:
I kind of figured it would work but here's the note on the Profoto website

NOTE! Profoto recommends a service update of Pro-B2 if used with the LiFe battery in order maximize the advantage of the battery and prolong the lifetime of the generator.

The lead batteries are 12V while typical LiPos put out 14.4V, if I'm not wrong. Maybe that the update adjusts (or replaces) the internal transformer. Just a guess..

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:52 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #7 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

For anyone that's interested Profoto said the upgrade to the B2 is $125. It's a thermal adjustment.

Apr 01, 2013 at 03:53 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #8 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

PeterBerressem wrote:
The lead batteries are 12V while typical LiPos put out 14.4V, if I'm not wrong. Maybe that the update adjusts (or replaces) the internal transformer. Just a guess..

The LiFePO4 nominal is 3.2/3.3V per cell, 4 in series is a perfect replacement for the 12V SLA. One can buy 7AH or 12AH LiFePO4 as a direct replacement for the SLA, requires a different charger though. Checkout them out here.

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:14 PM
zurkzees
• •
p.1 #9 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

400D, do you have direct experience with making/using the conversion?
It would be nice to update my SLA to LiFe batteries,

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:18 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

I'm also planning to upgrade an exhausted SLA battery (in my case, for the original AcuteB 600). From the AcuteB2 manual, p.9:

... Because of their special construction it is possible to apply the same chargers for LiFe and Pb (lead acid) batteries; this simplifies the combined use of new and old battery generators and allows owners of previous Profoto battery generators to update their packs with the new LiFe batteries.

No mention of AcuteB pack upgrade for LiFe compatibility.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

400d
• • •
p.1 #11 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

zurkzees wrote:
400D, do you have direct experience with making/using the conversion?
It would be nice to update my SLA to LiFe batteries,

I have been using 4 10Ah LiFePO4 cell in series for my Broncolor Mobil A2R for more almost 2 years, I can't speak for compatibility Profoto personally. The flashes manufacturers have been using LiFePO4 over LiPo/Li-Ion because it is safer.

rico wrote:
I'm also planning to upgrade an exhausted SLA battery (in my case, for the original AcuteB 600). From the AcuteB2 manual, p.9:

... Because of their special construction it is possible to apply the same chargers for LiFe and Pb (lead acid) batteries; this simplifies the combined use of new and old battery generators and allows owners of previous Profoto battery generators to update their packs with the new LiFe batteries.

No mention of AcuteB pack upgrade for LiFe compatibility.

SLA end voltage for charging is 14.7V while LiFePO4 is 14.4V. Maybe this is insignificant, I would not use the same charger for them, over charging a LiFePO4 for over 3.6V per cell may damage it. The manual of AcuteB doesn't mention about LiFePO4 since this chemistry has been in the market only for a few years.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:06 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

400d wrote:
SLA end voltage for charging is 14.7V while LiFePO4 is 14.4V. Maybe this is insignificant, I would not use the same charger for them, over charging a LiFePO4 for over 3.6V per cell may damage it. The manual of AcuteB doesn't mention about LiFePO4 since this chemistry has been in the market only for a few years.

I dug a bit deeper into my collection of manuals, and Profoto's web site. The AcuteB2 and original AcuteB are bundled with the same charger - Profoto Charger 1A - and both accept Charger 2A for faster results. These charger options are mentioned in the respective User Guides. On Profoto's web site, charger descriptions are given. From the 2A page:

* For all Profoto AcuteB batteries (both Lead and LiFe batteries).
* For all Pro-B batteries (both Lead and LiFe batteries).
* For Profoto BatPac.

The pack itself plays no role in moderating the charge since the batteries can be charged standalone. I don't see any cause for concern at this point, and will proceed with my upgrade.

Ref:
http://www.profoto.com/power-adapters/profoto-charger-1a
http://www.profoto.com/power-adapters/profoto-charger-2a

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:52 AM
400d
• • •
p.1 #13 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

rico wrote:
I dug a bit deeper into my collection of manuals, and Profoto's web site. The AcuteB2 and original AcuteB are bundled with the same charger - Profoto Charger 1A - and both accept Charger 2A for faster results. These charger options are mentioned in the respective User Guides. On Profoto's web site, charger descriptions are given. From the 2A page:

* For all Profoto AcuteB batteries (both Lead and LiFe batteries).
* For all Pro-B batteries (both Lead and LiFe batteries).
* For Profoto BatPac.

The pack itself plays no role in moderating the charge since the batteries can be charged standalone. I don't
...Show more
I guess it is acceptable- it's 0.3V higher for SLA, that's about 2.3% for each of the 3.3V LiFePO4 cell.

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:47 AM
chaddoyon
• •
p.1 #14 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

Just took the plunge and ordered a life cell for my Pro-B2 and acute packs. Hopefully all goes well.

-Chad

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:40 AM
chaddoyon
• •
p.1 #15 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

Well, this isn't going very well. I installed the LifePo4 batteries into the acuteB cassettes and gave them a full charge. The packs do not power up with the batteries. I'm not sure how everyone else is getting them to work but I'm pretty discouraged. The weight savings is so nice.

-Chad

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:44 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

If you recelled the cassette, are you sure it's wired up correctly?

Apr 27, 2013 at 05:43 AM
chaddoyon
• •
p.1 #17 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

It's damn near impossible to wire them wrong I'd say. Well, not impossible but yeah they are definitely wired correctly. They sort of work if the charger (2a charger) is plugged in although the recycle time isn't up to par.

-Chad

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #18 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

What is the capacity of LiFePO4 pack you bought? Use a multimeter to check the voltage on the terminal to make sure you wired it correctly. Perhaps post a few pics of your setup?

Here's my simple mod for the Broncolor A2R pack, the original SLA is 12Ah (right), replaced with 4s1p 10Ah pack (left). One can buy identical LiFePO4 now-same dimension and battery terminals, to replace the original SLA,and skip the extra wiring I did below.

Edited on Jan 17, 2014 at 07:22 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2013 at 05:34 AM
chaddoyon
• •
p.1 #19 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

The voltage of the life battery is 13.4v charged which is exactly the same as the SLA battery. I have two acuteB packs and three cassettes. I've swapped out two cells to the life cells. Both packs are behaving the same. The SLA works flawlessly while the life battery does not power up.

Here is the cell that I've purchased:
http://www.mybatteryplace.com/lifepo4/33457-128v-45ah-576wh-lithium-iron-lifepo4-rechargeable-battery.html

-Chad

May 04, 2013 at 05:22 PM
400d
• • •
p.1 #20 · Profoto Life batteries with older packs

chaddoyon wrote:
The voltage of the life battery is 13.4v charged which is exactly the same as the SLA battery. I have two acuteB packs and three cassettes. I've swapped out two cells to the life cells. Both packs are behaving the same. The SLA works flawlessly while the life battery does not power up.

Here is the cell that I've purchased:
http://www.mybatteryplace.com/lifepo4/33457-128v-45ah-576wh-lithium-iron-lifepo4-rechargeable-battery.html

-Chad

It's odd, even the battery on the page claims it would work with flash packs. It should be as simple as plug and play. The only assumption I can come up with is there is a circuit board within the battery which limits the current draw.

May 13, 2013 at 09:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password