Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First shoot with a Dancer

Ballistics
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First shoot with a Dancer

I struggled hard with this entire shoot. Never shot in a room surrounded 360 degrees with mirrors. Had 30 minutes total to shoot. I know, excuses, excuses.

The background is a nightmare, but I didn't have any other option.

Edited on Mar 21, 2013 at 04:19 AM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · First shoot with a Dancer

Nice stamps We shouldn't have to "click 'em" to see 'em
Having said that...nice job.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #3 · First shoot with a Dancer

trenchmonkey wrote:
Nice stamps We shouldn't have to "click 'em" to see 'em
Having said that...nice job.

Thought they were 500px. Fixed.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · First shoot with a Dancer

500 is still too small on the long side. 800 works much nicer.

Given all the distractions in the BG, you did this quite well. Her left arm is blocking the light to her face in 1, but the rest look really nice. Overall, really good stuff. Now you just have to find a better location, or find a way to make that location work.

Ron

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #5 · First shoot with a Dancer

friscoron wrote:
500 is still too small on the long side. 800 works much nicer.

Given all the distractions in the BG, you did this quite well. Her left arm is blocking the light to her face in 1, but the rest look really nice. Overall, really good stuff. Now you just have to find a better location, or find a way to make that location work.

Ron

800 it is

And thank you. I need to invest in a backdrop stand asap.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:21 AM
John Caldwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · First shoot with a Dancer

They look nice. If you do reshoot for any reason, put some interesting light on the background and make it a point of visual interest. Provided you separate the dancer from the BG elements and control DOF, you may have something of interest.

John Caldwell

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · First shoot with a Dancer

Nice wor with the poses, but might have been better to obliquely use the mirroes as background.
Douglas With some off camera lighting to separate subject.
Douglas

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Dooginfif20
• •
p.1 #8 · First shoot with a Dancer

Did you ever think about adding a black background and then just fading it into the floor? It should be pretty easy to do.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:31 PM

Dooginfif20
• •
p.1 #9 · First shoot with a Dancer

oh but the pictures are great! sorry should have said that first!

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #10 · First shoot with a Dancer

Dooginfif20 wrote:
Did you ever think about adding a black background and then just fading it into the floor? It should be pretty easy to do.

My masking skills need some honing. I tried my best to mask her out and do a gradient, but the first 2 pictures gave me such a ridiculously hard time. After 2 hours of messing with it, I decided that it really wasn't worth it anymore. Don't get me wrong, that's definitely the way to go, but I need to get my masking game up. Thank you for the input and the compliments. I greatly appreciate it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #11 · First shoot with a Dancer

douter wrote:
Nice wor with the poses, but might have been better to obliquely use the mirroes as background.
Douglas With some off camera lighting to separate subject.
Douglas

I'm definitely limited in mirror experience, but these particular mirrors were obstructed in pretty much all areas.
Exercise bikes, weights, these ball racks, fans, etc surrounded the gym a long with the mirrors.

I used 2 speedlights one bounce umbrella and one shoot through. There was one area where there was a slight opening, minus the 2 bars that go across the mirror but I just couldn't get the umbrellas out of the shot.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #12 · First shoot with a Dancer

John Caldwell wrote:
They look nice. If you do reshoot for any reason, put some interesting light on the background and make it a point of visual interest. Provided you separate the dancer from the BG elements and control DOF, you may have something of interest.

John Caldwell

I really wanted shallower DOF, but I was as far away as I could get. I wanted to shoot @ around 135mm, but I didn't have the room. I shot this @ f/4 just for the fact that this the sharpest there, even though I missed focus a lot for some reason

If I do a reshoot, it's not going to be going back there, that's for sure .

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #13 · First shoot with a Dancer

I want to thank everyone once again for their inputs, critiques, compliments etc. I greatly appreciate it and hopefully my next shoot will be 10x better.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #14 · First shoot with a Dancer

These look nice! As mentioned, arm blocks the light from face in the first shot. I think you did a really nice job isolating her.

I'm curious how you lit this.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:44 AM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #15 · First shoot with a Dancer

ChiShutter wrote:
These look nice! As mentioned, arm blocks the light from face in the first shot. I think you did a really nice job isolating her.

I'm curious how you lit this.

Thank you Yeah, the arm shadow is unfortunate.

I used 2 speedlights on stands 1 in a bounce umbrella, the other shoot through. Bounce to her left, shoot through to her right.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:15 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password