New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · X100s torture test

mike kobal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X100s torture test

hi guys,
one from my x100s torture test- this wasn't the plan, really, I headed out without an umbrella and got caught in the weather, yeah, gotta check the weather report, a good way to find out how good your camera is, well,
my friends camera in this case (don't worry in a rage of revenge he is letting his 3 year old play with my d800e)
the rest of the shots and the write up as always on my blog
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=7297

first ave, x100s, 1/30, f2, iso2000, afc mode

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:11 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X100s torture test

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1190792

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:35 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X100s torture test

i like the image

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:43 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X100s torture test

in fact it's quite good. lots of motion between the snow, the lines and the lamp post. definitely get the vibe.

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:45 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X100s torture test

question about this camera, as i have and like the x100:

how's the manual focusing, and how is the accuracy of focusing with the scale in the viewfinder for something like setting hyperfocal distance?

with the x100 i try to set hyperfocal and i KNOW the scale in the VF is quite a bit off from reality. wondering if they've cleaned this whole thing up enough to really make it pleasurable to use in a street situation

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:48 AM
mike kobal
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X100s torture test

thanks goosemang!
as for hyperfocal zone focus, nothing changed, I only use the traditional scale on the 14mm and that works fantastic, haven't mis-focused a shot even at 2.8.
the digital indicator is exactly like it always was, way to conservative and not practical.
in addition the very short focus ring throw makes it too easy to accidentally change the focus zone. just touch the focus ring, move it by a millimeter and you have just changed your focus point from 2 meters to 0.5m or infinity, it is very sensitive due to the short focus throw needed to cover the whole range which is
a real advantage when manual focusing, Esp on scenes like this one (bw umbrella lady walking) with focus peaking one can be spot on and very fast, the split focus is really great too but I dont find it very suitable for moving street subjects,
it is a lot more accurate then focus peaking, i use it for close ups or stationary subjects
cheers
m

Edited on Mar 22, 2013 at 09:59 AM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:56 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X100s torture test

thanks for the response. would you say that despite the imperfect scale implementation, the focus peaking, split VF and improved AF have really made a huge difference from the x100?

if you've used the x100...

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:59 AM
mike kobal
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X100s torture test

yes, this is the BEST mf implementation I have seen so far in any mirrorless camera
forgot to metion you can do all that to the full size image (no zoom activated) or at the 3x zoom
just sell it and get this one i was really excited when i first got my hands on the x100 but returned it right away because of af issues

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X100s torture test

ha

ok, you might have convinced me. i love the x100, and i have no problems with IQ or anything, but the damned focusing really is a pain, even after the firmware improvements. it's not bad, but it doesn't get out of the way, that's for sure.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X100s torture test

goosemang wrote:
question about this camera, as i have and like the x100:

how's the manual focusing, and how is the accuracy of focusing with the scale in the viewfinder for something like setting hyperfocal distance?

with the x100 i try to set hyperfocal and i KNOW the scale in the VF is quite a bit off from reality. wondering if they've cleaned this whole thing up enough to really make it pleasurable to use in a street situation

May I suggest doing a bit of googling? The general consensus right now is that the manual focus is really good and is vastly improved from the X100.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X100s torture test

why google when the man with the camera is right here?

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X100s torture test

Because the answers to your question can be found easily via a bit of searching and reading, and from more than just one person.

There's also already one formal review of the X100s:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_x100s_review/

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X100s torture test

You can't have a discussion with a review...

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X100s torture test

mike kobal wrote:
in addition the very short focus ring throw makes it too easy to accidentally change the focus zone. just touch the focus ring, move it by a millimeter and you have just changed your focus point from 2 meters to 0.5m or infinity, it is very sensitive due to the short focus throw needed to cover the whole range which is
a real advantage when manual focusing...

Other reviews, such as the one posted above, mention that the focus throw on the x100s is variable depending upon how fast or slow one turns the focus ring. Did you test that? I agree that, traditionally, short focus throw in MF when using AF lenses is a huge issue. Sounds like Fuji attempted to address this issue if the throw is indeed variable (focus throw is long when one turns ring slowly, focus throw is short when one turns ring quickly).

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
mike kobal
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X100s torture test

@Tariq, yes, that is true and feels quite natural.
another thing worth mentioning is that the focus throw -the amount of focus ring rotation- exponentially increases the closer we get to the 0.1m mark, esp noticeable between 0.5 and 0.1m. Very practical and helpful to achieve accurate focus for critical close ups.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X100s torture test

Thanks Mike!

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.