Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

eephoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

Hi there,

My old Viewsonic (maybe 6 years old) went kaput on me yesterday. So I am currently using my son's new Samsung 20" monitor and let's just say it's really small for editing! ! Not sure how much bigger my viewsonic is/was but there's a noticeable difference.

So off to Kijiji I went to see what's out there for sale, and off to google what the heck I should be looking at buying.

Sooooo...I found a Dell U2312HM for sale. The person is in my area which makes it easier for me, and he's asking for a price (he has no price posted). I also saw a Dell 27" S2740L monitor for sale. Now I researched enough to know that the U2312HM has the IPS technology and the other doesn't.

I am primarily a wedding photographer and to be quite honest (don't throw anything at me) I've been quite happy with my Viewsonic. I calibrate weekly with my i1. I only use my printer for CD labelling or for personal use. I send everything out to the lab. I am happy with colours I get back at the Lab.

Is the 27" something I should look into for the bigger screen? Or should I forgo that for the U2312 based on the newer technology?

I am a creature of habit and wish things could stay the same, so when my monitor broke, I really had NO clue as to what is out there for monitors and still don't know that I know much. So any help/advice you can offer no matter how big or small is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Elaine

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:02 PM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #2 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

Anyone out there?

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #3 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

As you mentioned, the Dell U2312HM uses an IPS panel, which is a definite plus. Years ago, I upgraded my monitor from a 19" Viewsonic (TN panel) monitor to a Dell 2209WA (IPS panel) monitor. When using the Validator feature of the i1 Match software, the colorimetric errors were approximately 4X smaller with the Dell compared to the Viewsonic (more accurate color). However, the big benefit of an IPS panel (or PVA) is that it has a much wider viewing angle. With the Viewsonic, the image would appear to get lighter or darker as I moved my head up or down (very sensitive to vertical viewing angle). With the Dell, I can view the monitor from just about any angle (within reason) and see very little if any change in brightness.

If you always view your monitor from a constant angle (don't have clients viewing the monitor from various locations in the room), the benefits of an IPS panel may not matter that much to you. However, if the opposite is true, you would certainly benefit from having an IPS panel. While bigger is usually better (more screen real estate), without knowing what model the 27" monitor is, I can't say what type of panel it uses. If you feel the 23" Dell is sufficiently large for your needs, and the price is attractive, you may want to go with it. Otherwise, find out more about the 27".

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #4 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

BobCollette wrote:
As you mentioned, the Dell U2312HM uses an IPS panel, which is a definite plus. Years ago, I upgraded my monitor from a 19" Viewsonic (TN panel) monitor to a Dell 2209WA (IPS panel) monitor. When using the Validator feature of the i1 Match software, the colorimetric errors were approximately 4X smaller with the Dell compared to the Viewsonic (more accurate color). However, the big benefit of an IPS panel (or PVA) is that it has a much wider viewing angle. With the Viewsonic, the image would appear to get lighter or darker as I moved my head up or
...Show more

Bigger usually is better!!! Lol!! The monitor I'm looking at for the 27" is the s2740l which after further investigation claims to have IPS technology as well. So that's throwing me for a loop as to why the price difference.

I never have clients over to view images but that doesn't mean it can't happen. My budget is small so maybe a new S2740 vs a used u2312 is better for my purposes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It is greatly appreciated!

Elaine

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #5 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

Elaine, interestingly both monitors (Dell 23 & 27) have the same resolution (1920x1080), so you'll see the same amount of information on both monitors, however the image will be somewhat larger on the 27". The 23" model has a fully adjustable stand (height, swivel, pivot, tilt), whereas the 27" only has tilt adjustment. Personally, since the resolution is the same, I would go with the 23" since it will have a smaller footprint and a more adjustable stand. The slightly smaller text size wouldn't be an issue (for me).

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:44 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

Here is 1 by monoprice

http://www.macworld.com/article/2027182/review-crystalpro-monitor-has-a-hard-to-beat-price.html

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/03/18/monoprice-selling-apple-quality-27-inch-monitors-for-less-than-half-the-price/

Bottom line
The 27” IPS LED CrystalPro Monitor WQHD cuts some corners to get its price down to less than half of other 24-inch IPS displays. But if you can do without USB, Thunderbolt, ethernet, and varied connection options, and can ignore the generic styling, the lack of onscreen menus, and the sub-par speakers, the CrystalPro’s basic on-screen performance matches that of more expensive displays.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:54 PM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #7 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

That Monoprice looks very intriguing. I'm in Canada though so I don't know if I'll be able to get a hold of one (and of course it's on backorder). But forgoing some USB ports will be tough as my old viewsonic had 3 USB ports, plus an iphone/ipod charger built into the base, plus a card reader built into the base. I really loved that monitor. Sigh...But back to reality.

Bob, you've put it into perspective for me. I guess that's what I needed someone to tell me. Was the 27" really going to help me that much more considering the resolution is the same. Unfortunately the 23" is now sold so I'm trolling Kijiji like crazy and trying to edit a wedding on my son's 20".

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Monitor Question - Will I be happy with...

The usefulness of the bigger monitor size depends on resolution and at least to some extent on the pixels per inch. Too many and images start to get too small, as do icons and text. Too few and the pixels look chunky and fine details look fuzzy, making it hard to assess image sharpness unless you are far enough away from the screen for that to not be a problem. With my failing eyesight my computer glasses offer me a very restricted viewing range and so for me 90 ppi or thereabouts is now unacceptable even from a high-end monitor that has excellent colour gamut and other desirable features. To view it from a greater distance it would look better but I could not also view my laptop screen because it would be far too small.

Old eyes make photography a lot more difficult.

In terms of physical size, looking at a large monitor up close is a bit like looking at a cinema screen. You need to pick a realistic size for your work environment and your viewing distance. Sometimes a bigger monitor wins even if only to get enough vertical size. e.g. a 27" or 26" monitor with 16:9 ratio is not much taller than a 24" monitor with 16:10 ratio, but seems a lot taller than a 24" monitor with 16:9 ratio. You need sufficient height to be comfortable and to show enough image data in addition to toolbars and so on. For me that means at least 1200 high as you might find on a 16:10 ratio monitor with 1920x1200.

As for IPS technology, that's nice to have but also important for me are colour gamut, uniformity of tone and colour across the entire screen and at different viewing angles, etc. That's what really separates great high end monitors from the others. How much does it matter to you ? One way to find out is to get a demo of an up-market Eizo or NEC just to see what a good monitor can do for you. Then decide how much less you can tolerate (or afford). At least you'll know what you are missing.

I know, for example, that when looking at photos of bright, red flowers on my macbook pro laptop screen I lose most of the tonal detail when the red channel data exceeds about 70-80% of maximum. Above that level everything become a uniform red blob with no apparent texture. My Eizo and NEC can easily resolve such bright tones without me having to reduce the exposure or saturation of the data. In that regard they are a joy to use (but a lot less portable, and hence I don't have them with me at present).

- Alan

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:12 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password