Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses g...

ComicDom1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

how all of a sudden, everything is now in stock.

I think there has to be something to this as a week ago or so when they were running the 15% off just about everything was out of stock. I find this very interesting and think it should be noted.

Jason

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:30 PM
big country
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

the 5d iii was in stock for many days at the reduced price...as was the 70-200 ii 2.8.

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:34 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #3 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

big country wrote:
the 5d iii was in stock for many days at the reduced price...as was the 70-200 ii 2.8.

Yes that is true, but if you noticed, my statement specifically said "refurbished Canon lenses". While the 70-200mm 2.8L II was in stock, just about every other desirable lens was not. The 1.4 III extender and the 2.0 extender are just two of the items that magically appeared in stock once the prices went back up.

Big county its OK with me if you would like to disagree. Those that watch that list on a daily basis know exactly what I am talking about.

Have a great one.

Jason

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:44 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

Doesn't seem fishy to me. When get more of the popular lenses back in stock, they just sell really quickly due to their good prices with the 15/20% specials. Without that discount, the prices are OK but not great. I got lucky and snagged a 70-200/2.8 II earlier this year and it was out of stock within a couple hours.

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Mike Liu
• • •
p.1 #5 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

can't say I'm too surprised at this finding.

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:14 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #6 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

WTF?? I was looking at the refurb site yesterday and everything in stock was on sale. But there was very little in stock. now the sale is apparently over and they have everything in stock.

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

This is not rocket science.

Either they have what you want at the price you want and you buy,

OR

The price is not good enough or they don't have what you want, in which case you do not buy.

For those wondering about the whys and wherefores of these occurrences: no amount of pondering on this issue will make you wiser. However, getting over any angst felt about the issue will make you wiser, and the sooner the better.

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:26 PM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #8 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

I have been following their site for a while and the more popular lenses go really, really quick when there is a sale. I hesitated some time back and recently, I didn't hesitate and grabbed the 35mm L and lo and behold, it was all sold out 5 minutes later.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:00 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #9 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

This ain't rocket science, but simple economics.

At a good price, stuff sells. At a less-good price, it languishes.

when it is available, it is, and when it isn't, well, you get the idea.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:42 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #10 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

This isn't about stuff selling fast when there is a good price. It is about waiting to place stuff back in stock on a website until after a sale is over.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #11 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

This isn't about stuff selling fast when there is a good price. It is about waiting to place stuff back in stock on a website until after a sale is over.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:52 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

mikeinctown wrote:

Exactly.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:57 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #13 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

I think a certain amount of this is that a huge number of people have the refurbished site bookmarked and check it on a daily basis. Not surprising that they sell out quickly. Word of sale prices spreads like wildfire.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

mikeinctown wrote:

That is just a stupid hypothesis.

A company would not plan to do that because the only result would be annoyed customers.

tuantran has it right:

tuantran wrote:
I have been following their site for a while and the more popular lenses go really, really quick when there is a sale. I hesitated some time back and recently, I didn't hesitate and grabbed the 35mm L and lo and behold, it was all sold out 5 minutes later.

ggreene understands:

ggreene wrote:
I think a certain amount of this is that a huge number of people have the refurbished site bookmarked and check it on a daily basis. Not surprising that they sell out quickly. Word of sale prices spreads like wildfire.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

As of mid December of last year I've noticed pricing on refurb lenses to be a bit wacky, one example as of late was the 100L IS macro. Just within the last 45 days it has changed from the current 'in-stock' price of $839, last week during the 15% speshul it was always 'out-of-stock' and priced at $711.

If you casually track a few lenses, the L's in particular, their pricing varies quite a bit, often random without any specials; there doesn't appear to be any reason like 'holiday pricing' involved, they just seem to change.

The bodies do this as well but not as often; currently when in stock the 5d3 is staying steady and has not changed from it's $2380 since it fell to that price point, before that it was 2799.

For those interested in the 100L IS macro, you can get it slightly cheaper; 20 bucks, but new at B&H at the moment; for me in CA there is no tax or shipping, plus you get 2% back in rewards, it's not a lot back but it's a NEW lens not a refurb. I checked pricing on another fav lens of mine, the 28 f1.8 and a new one at B&H is cheaper as well...

Refurb pricing is kind of odd, sometimes there are amazing deals, you just have look often to get lucky spotting them and don't hesitate when you do, as others have pointed out...they go 'out-of-stock' quickly.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #16 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

mikeinctown wrote:
WTF?? I was looking at the refurb site yesterday and everything in stock was on sale. But there was very little in stock. now the sale is apparently over and they have everything in stock.

Exactly my point. Now that our sale is over lol we can actually list what we have in stock.

This type of activity is normally frowned upon as a deceptive business practice in the US.

Things just did not magically appear in stock because the sale ended.

Jason

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #17 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

PatrickSweeney wrote:
This ain't rocket science, but simple economics.

At a good price, stuff sells. At a less-good price, it languishes.

when it is available, it is, and when it isn't, well, you get the idea.

This is very true. The law of supply and demand which is affected by price and also what the marginal utility value is of what is being sold.

The problem here is that simple economics does not explain why stock suddenly appears the day after a sale is over.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM
rockant
• •
p.1 #18 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

ECON101

Maintain Turnover of stock aka Clearance Sale;
Start sale when you have alot of new stock, aka "refurbs", about to arrive. This clears out older/excess stock and makes room for the new arrivals. Place the new stock into inventory after the sale.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #19 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

While it does not really matter , I would welcome you showing me where that is written in any Economics book.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:09 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Interesting how when prices on refurbished Canon lenses go up....

1) When stock gets high, like every other retailer, they designate a certain number of copies to go on sale to return inventory to normal levels.

2) When the designated number of copies have been sold, inventory is back to normal levels and the purpose of the sale has been accomplished.

3) Then business returns to usual until stock needs to be moved again.

Corollary: If no one buys them at the non-sale price, inventory levels will build up, then repeat the cycle.

Corollary II: If you decide to watch the sale long enough, one way or another, the item you want won't be on sale anymore.

Chances are they didn't "magically decide inventory was in stock when the sale was over". If they do business like most companies, the incoming stock was designated as not sale inventory from day 1 of the sale, to be listed when the sale was over.

I did this for years at department stores. Every one of item X in the store was marked down for sale. Incoming item X, arriving after that day were not marked down for sale - they remained in the warehouse until the day the sale was over, then went on the floor at full price. No one ever suggested it was deceptive practices or anything like that.

Every retailer in the country does it every Black Friday. There's a stack of $100 TVs on the floor. When they're gone, they're gone. Doesn't mean there isn't another stack in the back ready to sell at $199 next week.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password