New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Spot metering

dharris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spot metering

Question: When I set my meter to spot and my AF to center point, if I decide to change my AF point away from center how will spot meter react?

In other words if; Photographing a person with my AF point on subjects face will my camera meter off the shirt and not the face area?

Thank you,

Don

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Krymedogg
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spot metering

Don,

The camera takes an exposure reading from a circle in the centre of your viewfinder and from no where else.

A technique is to use an 18% grey card (you can buy these from photo retailers). These are sometimes used by portrait photographers. They ask the subject to hold the card up, take a reading from the card, then put it away, set the camera to manual mode and use those settings. They only need to re-meter if the light changes.

Krymedogg

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
dharris
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spot metering

I have been photographing little league baseball players with different results. My subjects change from size and different colored shirts. This is done outdoors and the light continually changes. I shoot with my assistant holding a gobo for me.

This is a step and repeat setting. I have used evaluative metering for the longest time and now actually taking the time to learn how my meter actually works.

I shoot Canon 5dc and 7d

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spot metering

I find if shooting outside take a spot meter reading off the grass its a neutral color.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:48 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spot metering

Unless you have a 1d or Prosumer Nikons, AF linked spot metering is not available.

The closest is if you use evaluative. The metering will biased towards the AF point. Even so it is not as accurate as Spot Metering. And I am not even sure if the oldie but goldie 5dc can do that too.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:59 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spot metering

dharris wrote:
Question: When I set my meter to spot and my AF to center point, if I decide to change my AF point away from center how will spot meter react?

In other words if; Photographing a person with my AF point on subjects face will my camera meter off the shirt and not the face area?

Thank you,

Don

depends on the camera model, I believe some Canon models - 5D3, 1D series, allow spot metering linked to the focus point

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:02 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spot metering

CW100 wrote:
depends on the camera model, I believe some Canon models - 5D3, 1D series, allow spot metering linked to the focus point

The 5D3 does not link metering to a particular AF point. The 1D series cameras do.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:22 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spot metering

M Lucca wrote:
Unless you have a 1d or Prosumer Nikons, AF linked spot metering is not available.

A minor correction is that all Nikons, not just prosumer, have the ability to spot meter on the selected AF point.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:42 PM
keckman

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spot metering

You can press the "*" button on the spot where you want to spot meter. Select your autofocus point (e.g. eye of your subject), recompose, and you should be fine. You will have to repeat this process where pressing the shutter button fully before every shot.

Jim

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:10 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.