New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sitting woman bw

Alpi07

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sitting woman bw

Hi everyone!
Can I please have some CC?

Apart for the postproduction (yes, I've cloned out something it's evident from the glass), I'm interested in how I could have shoot it better counting that is obviously a candid of a unaware subject.

Thanks!

canon 5d II 100mm f 2.8 1/50 sec ISO 800

© Alpi07 2013

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sitting woman bw

Alpi07 wrote:
how I could have shoot it better counting that is obviously a candid of a unaware subject.

Well, you could have used a four light setup with butterfly lighting that was simultaneously short & broad lit.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm trying to imagine myself in your place taking the shot ... I got nothin' ... that you can do to change the lighting and remain candid/unaware. I suppose you could have used some flash, etc. for the capture, but the subject would no longer remain unaware once the shot was taken, so I'm assuming that any/all lighting changes are off the table ... i.e. it is what it is.

Handheld 1/50 with a 100mm focal length requires a steady hand. Hard to tell at this size, but if you have any issues with it being sharp enough due to camera shake, you could have bumped the ISO to allow for a faster shutter speed. Additionally, it seems to be rather underexposed as her hair is blocked @ 0,0,0 ... not sure if that is due to underexposure at capture or a byproduct of PP. Again, another bump in ISO to allow for more exposure could have helped, if the blocking is not PP related.

Edited on Mar 20, 2013 at 07:25 PM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sitting woman bw

Alpi07 wrote:
Hi everyone!
Can I please have some CC?

Apart for the postproduction (yes, I've cloned out something it's evident from the glass), I'm interested in how I could have shoot it better counting that is obviously a candid of a unaware subject.

Thanks!

canon 5d II 100mm f 2.8 1/50 sec ISO 800

To me, the candid nature of the image is fine, however I'm left guessing about her pensive mood and would like to see more of her expression. Perhaps opening the shadows somewhat might help.

I've posted a quick re-work, lots of trial and error, with a slight vignette and crop. I'd like to add a touch of tone however the action I use is producing banding and some color bleed through - why, I have no idea.

Anyway some thoughts, if you prefer or object, I will pull the re-work.

Regards,

Bob

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Alpi07

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sitting woman bw

Thank you both!

The picture is correctly exposed, I underexposed it in pp because I wanted to have a dark effect.
I was trying to end up with just enough information on her face to let the viewer decide by himself if she is sad or just pondering or relaxing (or maybe totally drunk )

It seems that my only goal was the only thing you both dislike (and it's fine!).

Despite the fact that I see the difference and I understand your point, I still prefer the dark moody one and if you have suggestions to improve that side, I'm ready to try again.

Probably if the door was dark, the effect I'm looking for would have been better?
In case of a dark door, what would have happened with the hair? :?
Sorry if the last two sentences are grammatically wrong, I tried my best :s

Mar 21, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sitting woman bw

Alpi07 wrote:
Thank you both!

The picture is correctly exposed, I underexposed it in pp because I wanted to have a dark effect.
I was trying to end up with just enough information on her face to let the viewer decide by himself if she is sad or just pondering or relaxing (or maybe totally drunk )

It seems that my only goal was the only thing you both dislike (and it's fine!).

Despite the fact that I see the difference and I understand your point, I still prefer the dark moody one and if you have suggestions to improve that side, I'm
...Show more

Hey, your vision is the only one that counts!

I don't know that a dark door would help but might swallow the subject?

I can try later but having the original to start would be of great benefit - if you are interested PM me - don't know if e-mail would handle the file.

Bob

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sitting woman bw

+1 @ Bob, i.e. your vision that counts. But, I'll add that you still have to be able to convey that vision to your intended audience ... be that an audience of one (yourself) or an audience of more than one (others).

I didn't say that I disliked it ... I was just trying to understand if it was a result of the capture or the PP. I had a feeling that you had processed it that way by design, but since you asked how to improve @ capture, I presented the possibility of ... IF ... it had been underexposed @ capture.

The dynamic range of the scene is what it is when shooting ambient/natural only, so if you captured a good exposure that encompassed the range of the scene, then there isn't much more you can do @ capture, expect intentionally under/over expose for artistic/creative intent. That or choose to use a lens or filter with higher/lower contrast to change the mood.

Either way, the PP is the continuation of the capture ... would be curious to see the original capture to see if the mood could be generated without as much blocking, unless you actually wanted the expanses of blocking to 0,0,0 for artistic intent.

As to your questions @ door, effect, hair ... can't really say without seeing original first to differentiate between capture vs. PP on this one.

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:11 AM
Alpi07

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sitting woman bw

Sorry, I was travelling

Thank you all for the comments.
I don't offer raw files, bur it you are interested just send me a mp, I will be happy to send you the jpeg in its original size. (If that can help).

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:33 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.