Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

I have the 80/1.9 among others, all are very affordable. I got a great 80/2.8 NIB for 3/5 of bugger all, what a nice lens. The f1.9 is not quite that fast apparently but is sharp enough even stopped down.

They are similar in rendering, a family look suited to pro photography, and very stylish, would make exc fashion lenses or B&W. Of the wides, the 55mm got the nod from many users who were not into the 35mm, which is very wide on 645. You would not be disappointed and these are solid evidence that there is more to imaging than sheer resolution. They also put most 35mm lenses to shame in the build quality department - smooth rings, exc materials and a pleasure to use.

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

philip_pj wrote:
... I got a great 80/2.8 NIB for 3/5 of bugger all, what a nice lens...

I got mine for 3/4 of bugger all.

I didn't mention the 80/1.9 because I have mixed feelings about it. It has great DOF control, and it's very flattering for people and other things near the plane of focus, but it has some unsatisfactory features for complex OOF features (see bokeh examples)

Also, I didn't mention the M645 50/4 Shift because I just never figured out how to use so much shift - lens + Mirex. It just didn't seem right. I sold it. Meh.

85mm bokeh examples http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/952008/0&year=2010#9001461

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

Thanks for the discussion. I've been reassured that there are things that I know nothing off but that now I've learnt something about...

Thanks

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

SoulNibbler wrote:
I just got my 45mm yesterday and through the viewfinder (evf magnified) it doesn't scream sharp like the 80mm macro and the 120mm macro or even the 35mm. Some of this may be due to the fact that I'm comparing at f2.8 vs f4. However once in capture one, it seems to respond nicely to the clarity adjustments, so I guess that it does sharpen up nicely.

This is kinda what I refer to as finding buried treasure. It may not scream sharp initially, but with a deft touch in post, it comes alive in ways that were hidden until you uncover it a bit. Don't forget that with a 45mm you are "spreading things" a whole lot more than you are with 80mm or 120mm (trigonometry), so it can tolerate a bit more "pushing things" back together ... if that makes any sense. Ceteris paribus, even in smaller formats a tele will have a higher MTF than a WA, so one really shouldn't gauge the 45 against the 80 or 120 too closely.

Granted, the 45 probably isn't considered as "stellar" as the 35/3.5 N, but it still is nice if you like the MF transitions. Generally speaking the N series are a bit more contrasty due to different coatings. Likewise the APO and A series are well regarded.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

So the prices are:

Mirex Hasselblad adapter: 365-370 (and be limited only to my 80mm)

Or

Mirex Mamiya 645 adapter: 365-370
Mamiya 35 3.5 ~200
Hasselblad to Mamiya adapter ~50 (to use my current 80mm Planar) OR
Mamiya 80 1.9 ~180

Or:

Hasselblad flexbody 900

The only thin putting me off the flexbody is the long setup time and requirement of a tripod. Kind of limits me to landscape only, I'm hardly going to set up a tripod in the middle of London. Would allow me to produce cool shots though.

Another alternative would be to buy an adapted FD 35 2.8 SSC for about 500 but be limited to one lens. I'm not interested in the TSE lenses as they are v expensive for what they are ( except the 24 and 17 but I already have a 21 Zeiss)

The Mirex just seems so expensive!

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:49 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

The other downside to the Hasselblad Flexbody is shooting film (or adding a $20k digital back to your cost). If you don't consider shooting film to be a downside, then there are lots of excellent (and less expensive) alternatives to the Mirex setup. But, if you want T/S lenses on your full-frame digital SLR body, then the Mirex is a great choice.

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

R.Young wrote:
...The Mirex just seems so expensive!

It's not so expensive if you plan to add more focal lenghts. Consider it as a one-time, lifetime membership fee.

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:11 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

jcolwell wrote:
It's not so expensive if you plan to add more focal lenghts. Consider it as a one-time, lifetime membership fee.

+1

I use 8 lenses on it. EIGHT T/S LENSES.

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

I have four 'regulars' for my Mirex; C 35/3.5N, 55.2,8N, 80/2.8N, and A 150/2.8, and three 'optionals'; 80/4 N Macro, A 120/4 Macro, and Mamiya A 200/2.8 APO.

Plus, you can put the Mirex on the rear standard of a Mamiya Auto Bellows N system to get full front standard movements, with back tilt/swing, and/or shift/rise, for your macro, enlarger, and MF/LF lenses.

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:28 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

And that's the beauty of the Mirex (or similar adapters for that matter).

Mar 22, 2013 at 08:50 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

I feel bad, after all that I decided that money is unfortunately an object for me, and I have gone for a cheaper (but not as cheap as I'd like) tilt only adapter from eBay. It was nearly a quarter of the price and as I'm not bothered in shift really, seemed the most sensible option. If I want to go wider I will look at a 35 FD SSC on eBay to come up cheap in the future. I only wanted a wide and a long, not any more than 2 really, and may not even use them that often, so I will put the money aside for a photo holiday instead!

The adapter tilts to 8 degrees, locks at each degree and rotates 360. Really look forward to shooting with it!

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

R.Young wrote:
I feel bad, after all that I decided that as money is an object for me, I have gone for a cheaper (but not as cheap as I'd like) tilt only adapter from eBay. It was nearly a quarter of the price and as I'm not bothered in shift really, seemed the most sensible option....

No worries. That's how I started...

R.Young wrote:
... If I want to go wider I will look at a 35 FD SSC on eBay to come up cheap in the future. I only wanted a wide and a long, not any more than 2 really, and may not even use them that often, so I will put the money aside for a photo holiday instead!

Holidays are excellent. OTOH, the wider you go, the shiftier you get.

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:06 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

Or a 24 TSE if I win the lottery...

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:22 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

There's also the upcoming 24mm T/S Samyang out soon.... mine is on order..

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

Aha! I keep forgetting about that one. It's ugly as sin, but hopefully is comparable to the Canon

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:00 AM
erichard
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Mirex TS Adapter for Hasselblad and Mamiya 645 lenses

The Mamiya Mirex may be the way to go, but there is already a lot of "adapter" going on with just the Hasselblad Mirex, much less Canon to Mamiya to Hasselblad. There's a lot of variables going on. The Mirex is an amazing piece of engineering and machining. Here's a gigapan taken with my 5Dmkii and the hassy 40mm. I used shift to get the horizon where I wanted while still keeping the perspective control (note parallel poles and building lines). Of course, the other key is the 3d nature of the Hasselblad Zeiss lens. Some of the Apo Mamiyas are amazing though, truly.

http://gigapan.com/gigapans/b9aca9f3bcadbbb4371690cc9972008a

I haven't visited that photo in a while. I didn't realize Gigapan can now sell prints of my photo for upwards of $300

Mar 23, 2013 at 06:51 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password