Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Gia.Public

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Hello FM folks,
Have been reading this forum for years, not much writing though.

I have T2i with 15-85, 50 1.8, and 70-200 4L IS. I am fairly happy with the kit but.... I mostly shoot while traveling with my family (landscape, cityscape, ski/beach trips) plus some portraits. This summer we plan a big trip through national parks (Bryce, Zion and more) and I started thinking about upgrade to FF! I do not want to invest too much so plan to sell T2i, 15-85, and 70-200 for about 1800$, and than buy one of:

6D + 24-105 - requires additional 600$ or so but leaves me with nothing at the long end something for portraits
5DII refurbished + 24-105 - even cheaper but same issue with the long end and portraits

I was looking at 24-105 as a general use lens because on vacations with family I need the flexibility of the zoom (love my 15-85), don't think I can go with just primes.
For long end, adding 100-400L makes the kit so much heavier and expensive that I am not sure I want to consider it.
Options, questions... Will I see dramatic difference in IQ? Maybe it is better to buy a new lens? I have been looking at Zeiss glass and maybe that's the solution? Or some wide Ls?

As I failed to make up my mind, I'm asking fellow FMers for an advice! Please help, any and all suggestions are welcomed!
Thanks in advance, George

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Hello George,

logic thing to me would be not selling the 70-200 towards the FF upgrade. Then you would have something like camera + 24-105 + 70-200.. That means that the money's gotta come from somwehere else though..

Hope you get it sorted!

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

I hate to see you give up your 70-200 F4 IS. Can you swing a used 5DII and 24-105 and keep the 70-200, possibly later add a 1.4 TC? If not, consider upgrade camera only to 7D with current lenses or just stand pat until more funds are available.

Steve

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:02 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Having just recently upgraded from a 40D + 17-50 to a 6D + 24-105, I can say there was a dramatic difference in IQ. Both the change in overall quality and the change in DOF due to the larger sensor are huge. There will probably be a bit less of an improvement for you, because I think the T2i has a bit better IQ than the 40D, but it will still be there.

I also had the 70-200 with the 40D, and while it wasn't originally in my plan, I shifted my kit to the wide end, as I didn't find myself using the telephoto all that much. So now I have a 17-40, 24-105, 50/1.8, and 85/1.8.

Keep in mind that the 50 is an entirely different lens on full frame, I rarely used it with my family on my 40D, but I use it all the time with the 6D.

For family stuff, I don't miss the 70-200 much, the 24-105 gives me enough extra reach on FF compared to what my 17-50 did on crop. Of course, it will be almost exactly the same range as your 15-85 on crop.

I do plan to add a telephoto zoom eventually, but for the amount that I use it, I am considering getting the much cheaper, but still pretty decent 70-300 IS instead of one of the L teles.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:09 PM
crouchingtiger

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

The 70-200 f4/IS is a fantastic lens on full frame. Can you keep it and do 6D body + cheaper wide angle prime?

Another possibility is a 5d classic, which would honestly get you 90% of the image quality for ~30% of the cost.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Why is 105mm not good enough for portraits? I would hesitate on using anything longer to be honest, never was a fan of the look of longer lenses for portraiture. 100mm is about perfect for headshots, 85mm for anything else.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:36 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

With your current kit you've got 18mp to work with, a great set of lenses with focal lengths from 24-320mm on your crop body. You could extend your kit rather cheaply, with little extra weight as follows...

- If you want a bit more reach you could add a 1.4x T/C II; they are selling pretty cheap here on FM.
- If you want to get some close-up shots you can add a set of extension tubes; Kenkos are nice.

I use both T/Cs and tubes with my 70-200 f4L IS and these combos give you quite the bang for the buck, no to mention flexibility; your 50mm will turn into a nice little macro with tubes.

If you want/need to experience Full Frame, why not look into renting a body/lens. Check around, for your trip the 5D2 and 24-105 would be a fantastic addition to your current kit. You could try before you buy into FF and have all those wonderful images from your trip...plus two bodies just in case one fails.

My other suggestion would be to pickup a nice/cheap point-n-shoot, there are several G series on the buy-n-sell forum, these little cams are great in a pinch, can be good backup for the unexpected...better to have images from your trip then none.

My best to you and family, sounds like a wonderful vacation!
Jerry

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:39 PM
loosh
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Whatever you do, keep the 70-200. There is nothing better for general family photography, and it becomes even more useful on full frame.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

I agree -- keep the 70-200/4 IS. It's one of Canon's star performers. You'd need to move way up to a 70-200/2.8 IS to top it!

The T2i is an amazing little camera, and I still rather miss mine, even though I now have the 60D. The 15-85 IS is one of all-time favorite lenses for general family/travel.

I agree that full frame is great, and you are on the right track. A used 5D2 and used (near new) 24-105 can be had for under $2000. I'd try to find a way to keep what you have and add this camera and lens to it.

If you have to sell your whole kit to buy the 5D2 and 24-105, I say keep what you have and wait until you can buy the full frame later.

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Steven W

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

I think you would miss the 70-200 during ski/beach outings at least. Not sure how much a used T2i would fetch, but I want a backup when traveling if at all possible. Maybe you could sell the 15-85 and get 5DII or 6D (refurbished or used)? If you cannot, maybe waiting might be better. The T2i camera is still a good preformer. Just my opinion. Have a great trip with whatever equipment you end up with!

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

You have a great kit now. Don't upgrade until you have all the lenses you need and can get a new body. A 6D with 24-105 and keeping your 70-200 would be minimum for me, and I would like to have a fast normal lens and UWA too.

Mar 20, 2013 at 03:17 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Since budget is clearly a factor and I have no clue about anything regarding your photography or what other accesories you have I'll give a blind opinion here. I say don't upgrade your body yet. You have a pretty nice kit, especially for things such as travel and shooting family. I would maybe spend some extra cash on some other gear, depending on your needs/wants. I agree if you might be looking into more reach a 1.4TC might be a good buy. Another prime might be fun as there are some nice primes for ASP-C for good prices. Maybe venture into the UWA range. I know 15mm is pretty wide, but nothing like having 10mm if you know how to use it. Maybe adding some other accessories or upgrading post processing related items. Maybe look into adding more lighting equipment to your kit.

This list could go on, but at the end it's really up to you. Unless it's crucial upgrading for better "IQ" IMO it's not worth it as a T2i is more than capable to produce some high quality work especially with sweet glass. An example of your work would be helpful.

Mar 20, 2013 at 03:34 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

I am going to approach this a little differently. While traveling with your family do you want to be enjoying their company, enjoying God's creation, or learning a new camera / lens combo. When the kids leave home they are gone (except in some cases). Enjoy your vacation & worry about new gear later... PS:: I totally agree on the 70-200 f4,; Do not get rid of it. My 2 cents.. Jim

Mar 20, 2013 at 03:52 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

What ever you do don't ditch the 70-200 f4 IS. It is as other have said excellent on so many levels. The 6d upgrade would be nice, but if you can't swing it with the kit lens without selling some gear I'd say hold off. I'm wondering where you think your current kit struggles for what you shoot? If youre shooting landscapes etc at low iso there isn't a huge iq difference between ff and crop. Personally I think ff does produce better colors and slightly more detail but its not really all that noticeable unless you are printing very large. For travel I actually like crop better simply because its generally lighter than ff, the uwa lenses are great and reasonably priced, plus you get the 1.6 mag factor when you need it so the 70-200 is generally more than long enough for anything you'll shoot. You already have one of the ubiquitous Efs lenses in the 15-85, but it is a tad slow. So maybe adding or trading it for a 17-55 2.8 could help. I wouldnt expect any difference in IQ but it offers 2.8 whereas other than your 50 nothing you have is really all that fast.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:38 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

You already have a pretty good kit. As others mentioned, don't get rid of the 70-200 f/4 IS. It's a great lens.

I would suggest renting a 6D and/or 5D3 to see if it will fit your needs. You mentioned about the 24-105 missing on long end for portraits. Could you elaborate on this? Do you prefer using a longer focal lengths?

The 6D + 24-105 + 70-200 would be an excellent combo, especially with a 1.4x TC II, which you can get cheap right now.

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Gia.Public

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Wow, huge thanks to everyone!!!

I do not see much of problems with my current kit but after reading oh so many posts on FM that FF is better and that for landscapes and portraits it's almost a must, I was wondering if it is really that better! The biggest question IQ is in DR and color depth - are they noticeably better on 6D compared to my T2i at low ISO? How much better is ISO 3200? 6400? I eventually will try to come up with the financials, just want to be sure that i'm really getting to another level...

Yes, I would love to keep the 70-200, the question is about cost
New 6D with 24-105 is 2330 at B&H, refurbished 5DII is 1770 at canon. I don't think I can get 24-105 for 600$, even used, so question is about 5DII vs 6D - is 5DII better? and is 6D so much better than my T2i?

I prefer for portraits quite tight head shots so the 85 is not always long enough on my current camera, I quite often use 70-200 and work from the distance...
I am not looking to upgrade any accessories, I do have a tripod and flash, so the only potential investment point is the camera/lenses.

Thanks again for lots of helpful and thoughtful advices, still thinking
George

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:07 PM
leftbob
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

crouchingtiger wrote:
The 70-200 f4/IS is a fantastic lens on full frame.

Another possibility is a 5d classic, which would honestly get you 90% of the image quality for ~30% of the cost.

+1

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:05 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

What about getting the 5D II or 6D and say the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and keeping the 70-200. A good copy of the Tamron is optically very good, easily as good as the 24-105L and I own both. Tamron also focuses quite close making it nice for for flower portraits etc. It's can be found very cheaply these days and really is a bargain IMO.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Learn how to take multiple overlapping photos with your 70-200 and stitch them together to get wider angle landscape shots with tons of detail. It'll cost you nothing.

Unless the image quality you get from your camera is inadequate for your needs (e.g. too much noise at mid to high iso) or it lacks necessary features then don't spend the money on an upgrade.

Some of the cameras mentioned have good IQ but the AF systems are not so great unless you are shooting static subjects.

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:25 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · To ugrade or not to upgrade, that is the question

Just add a 5dc and call it a day. Under good light the 5dc images rivals the best FF camera out there. Save yourself the pain of giving anything up. You get the best of both worlds.

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password