New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · canon macro lenses

cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · canon macro lenses

I'm actually a fan of shorter distances if you're talking flowers, as I think a lack of compression for flowers looks very nice. For bugs, at least 100mm.

I shot with the Sigma 150mm non-OS, great lens but it's a bit bulky and if you're going to double-task it as a portrait, you have to take that 150mm into account.

Given your requirements I'd probably get the Canon 100L IS or non-IS, depending on if you wish to use the IS. I've read nothing but good things about the IS from macro shooters (and I hate carrying the tripod) so I personally would go with the 100L IS, which is what I eventually plan to do.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · canon macro lenses

The IS is top notch! It works terrific for general photography and close-ups, at least 3 stops improvement. Not quite as effective when you got toward 1:1 as there is so much shake at that magnification. But it is better than nothing even at highest mag.

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:13 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · canon macro lenses

Imagemaster wrote:
Nobody said they wouldn't.

Forgive me...I guess I'm confused as to why you said anything in the first place, especially since my 1.4x works phenomenally with my Sigma 150 macro.

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · canon macro lenses

M Vers wrote:
Forgive me...I guess I'm confused as to why you said anything in the first place, especially since my 1.4x works phenomenally with my Sigma 150 macro.

Well, why do you think that Canon extenders do NOT work on all Canon lenses. Maybe because they designed them that way for a reason?

For your enlightenment:

The thing to keep in mind is that telextenders are
• primarily designed to work with optical designs known as 'telephoto', where the rear nodal distance < FL.
• 'Normal' lenses have the nodal distance ≈ FL;
• wide angle lenses for SLRs are typically 'retrofocus' designs which have nodal distance > FL in order to clear the reflex mirror.

The fact that Canon telextenders have a front element that protrudes in front of the location of the forward lens mount is an indirect clue about the fact that they are designed for the 'telephoto' lens that has room for that front element. The
...Show more

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:36 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · canon macro lenses

Being designed "primarily" for a certain lens type doesn't mean they wont work well with other lenses, yet your initial response seemed to imply that. "Best" results do not preclude "excellent" results in other configurations.

The manufacturers are simply using marketing speak to a) quickly yet generically inform a possibly non-technical buyer and 2) give them an "out" when someone bitches at their 28-135 turning to crap with a 1.4x attached.

Canon's TCs not working with certain lenses is just a design limitation of their TCs on their lenses.

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:56 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · canon macro lenses

In addition to the above, for your enlightenment, not all TCs are designed with a protruding element and, believe it or not, not all TCs are made by Canon. Such TCs can be used with most lenses without any modification or use of extension tubes. Now, don't go hurting those ankles coming down off that horse of yours.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · canon macro lenses

M Vers wrote:
In addition to the above, for your enlightenment, not all TCs are designed with a protruding element and, believe it or not, not all TCs are made by Canon. Such TCs can be used with most lenses without any modification or use of extension tubes.

No kidding. Thanks for enlightening me, since I have only used Canon, Vivitar, Kenko, Sigma, & Tamron TC's, and if you want to use them on macro lenses, whoopee.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · canon macro lenses

Imagemaster wrote:
No kidding. Thanks for enlightening me, since I have only used Canon, Vivitar, Kenko, Sigma, & Tamron TC's, and if you want to use them on macro lenses, whoopee.

Yet you conveniently left the majority of them out and focussed on one manufacturer's TCs that feature a design element which prevents them from being used with certain other lenses all to prove some sort of moot point. You done did good.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · canon macro lenses

retrofocus wrote:
The Sigma 105/2.8 macro is also a very good lens, but its AF system is outdated (you might not need AF for macro).

The newer version has amended these shortcomings.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:33 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · canon macro lenses

Another vote for the 100 IS L!

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:00 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · canon macro lenses

Snopchenko wrote:
The newer version has amended these shortcomings.

correct, but optically the old one is superb, too and now much cheaper in comparison. You can get the old version in the used gear market for good deals.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:50 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · canon macro lenses

tony rizzo wrote:
Would like to start doing some macro shooting. The two lenses I am interested in are the 100mm macro L and 180 macro L. Do want to do dragon and dasel flies etc as well as flowers. I realize that the 180 would probably be best for the insect type shots. But don't know about flowers etc. Also was thinking of using the 100mm as a portrait lense as well as macro. I can add a 1.4 tele convertor to the 100mm and be close to the 180mm. So any advice would be appreciated especially if you have
...Show more

Tony,

1. For someone just starting to do macro, I would not recommend spending a lot of money on macro gear. Many people that try macro find they do not have the patience for following the discipline required to get excellent macro results. i.e. Best results are usually obtained by using a tripod, low ISO, slow shutter speeds, and high f-stops. Those that go around shooting handheld often get worse results.
2. Simply buy a used Tamron 90mm from a FM member. I find that used macro lenses are often in better condition than other used lenses simply because they have been used and abused less.
3. In addition to the macro lens, buy a set of Kenko extension tubes. They will allow you to get greater magnification with your macro lens, and you can use them on any of your other Canon lenses to get closer to your subject. You can use just one tube, a combination of any two tubes, or all three tubes at once. The best macro photographers do not use teleconverters for very good reasons. If you need to move further away from your subject, use a different macro lens or put the tubes on another lens.
4. You will get better advice on the Macro Forum than on this forum.
5. Go over to the Macro Forum and look at the EXIF of the best images.

#4 - Not a macro shot, but taken with 100-400 plus extension tube.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · canon macro lenses

Using extension tubes: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1001614

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Mike Liu
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · canon macro lenses

For the OP, I have the 100L and it is a fantastic lens and I love the IS.

Never used the 180L though. Like others have mentioned, may want to consider the sigma 150 or 180 OS as both get great reviews as well with OS to boot.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · canon macro lenses

Imagemaster wrote:
1. For someone just starting to do macro, I would not recommend spending a lot of money on macro gear. Many people that try macro find they do not have the patience for following the discipline required to get excellent macro results. i.e. Best results are usually obtained by using a tripod, low ISO, slow shutter speeds, and high f-stops. Those that go around shooting handheld often get worse results.

...Yet almost every excellent macro photographer on the macro forum shoots handheld, moderate shutter speeds at lower f stops. Go figure...they're doing it all wrong!

3. In addition to the macro lens, buy a set of Kenko extension tubes. They will allow you to get greater magnification with your macro lens, and you can use them on any of your other Canon lenses to get closer to your subject. You can use just one tube, a combination of any two tubes, or all three tubes at once. The best macro photographers do not use teleconverters for very good reasons. If you need to move further away from your subject, use a different macro lens or put the tubes on another lens.

You're right, no great macro photographers use TCs and they all switch lenses constantly in the field.

4. You will get better advice on the Macro Forum than on this forum.
5. Go over to the Macro Forum and look at the EXIF of the best images.

While I agree the macro forum is the best place for this type of advice I don't think looking at the EXIF of "the best images" will help the OP, in fact most of the high caliber work seen there is shot with a wide range of lenses and cameras, some of which the OP, as a newbie to macro, should avoid (i.e. MP-E 65). I will also advise against any macro lens with an extending barrel, simply because they can prove cumbersome and frigidity to use with a flash that isn't fixed or trained to the end of the lens barrel, especially for field work. When using fixed barrel lenses you do not have such issues. In addition, I believe longer lenses on FF are better for newbies as they provide more working distance to interact with their often flighty subjects. A mere inch can be the difference between getting the shot and startling the subject.

Buying used isn't a bad idea, but keep in mind these lenses, especially when taken care of, retain their resale value very well, and there is always a market just in case someone decides macro isn't their thing. One thing I noticed that wasn't spoken about in the thread, but was mentioned to the OP via PM, is lighting. This is far more important than deciding between lenses. With that said, for anyone lurking, be sure to check out the 'Post Your Set up' thread in the macro forum for lighting ideas and tips--this may take your images to a different level.

And FWIW here are a couple handheld shots using the Sigma 150, with or without TC and or tubes...
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1267/4695398816_6de9ac04f3_b.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4059/4694769331_99666faf71_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6157/6170879203_b975f78dd7_b.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4100/4864546068_b329b06d0f_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6136/5966209388_f5a024f345_b.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6013/5953457376_838d6a64d4_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8383/8540467428_4ff9bfb3b0_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7974905964_584b4c65a0_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8010/7457066494_389e5fa850_b.jpg

Edited on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM
parquin

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · canon macro lenses

I have the 100F2.8IS and the MP-E651-5x macro lenses as well as the MT24 flash for macro. I've not convinced myself to buy the 180 (but get close from time to time)

The 100 is a great general use lens as well and the IS is astounding (at least as good as my 70-200F2.8LIS). The hybrid IS does work at macro distances but is a bit less effective (not bad, and there isn't any real competition). The working distance is adequate.

The 65 is a specialty lens. It really benefits from the flash (particularly above 1x) and the working distance really shrinks making the flash more important. It will not focus to infinity (or anything other than macro, really).

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
user222
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · canon macro lenses

tony rizzo wrote:
I realize that the 180 would probably be best for the insect type shots. But don't know about flowers etc.

I don't do a lot of insects, but the 180 is great for flowers. Being somewhat of a "lenshead" I've bought and sold a lot of Canon lenses. The 180 though is a permanent fixture of my kit. I think it has some of the best IQ in the Canon line up.

http://pcdn.500px.net/17013983/2d3776e40273a5bc7c5f647bee0e31819fee2a68/4.jpg
http://pcdn.500px.net/15755539/d5a0f13f7e8d0e493b1846f35a6e5cb1380afb6b/4.jpg

tony rizzo wrote:
I PS if you have any other 3rd party lenses you feel are the quality of the Canon let me know.

The Zeiss 100 f/2 (should be noted that it has 1:2 magnification, and the barrel extends when focusing, so probably not the best choice if you plan to focus on insects.)

http://pcdn.500px.net/28365213/37cfe11459f09aefbb150621c4a18e0ce1d67424/4.jpg
http://pcdn.500px.net/17371921/3dac06b1ff7618dda15364bde327d74ff8e4306a/4.jpg

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:48 AM
campyone
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · canon macro lenses

This is a little OT but if you decide to go with the 100 you might consider saving some money and buying the predecessor to the L version. I've owned both and found no difference between them except for IS on the L and that was useless to me since I almost always use a tripod.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:20 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · canon macro lenses

campyone wrote:
This is a little OT but if you decide to go with the 100 you might consider saving some money and buying the predecessor to the L version. I've owned both and found no difference between them except for IS on the L and that was useless to me since I almost always use a tripod.

Yes the older saves you a lot of money. And have similar IQ

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:28 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · canon macro lenses

Have used Canon 100 L IS macro lens, Canon 180 L macro lens and Sigma for Canon
180 macro lens.

I frequent various botanical gardens in LA and San Diego areas shooting flowers.

Prefer Canon 180 L:

1) superior IQ to Sigma 180 in my opinion;

2) less bending over or kneeing than with 100 L;

3) can shoot without walking on flower beds more often
with the Canon 180L. avoids pissing off the staff;

4) less cropping necessary to fill frame than with
100 L.

IS not necessary as I have tripod with me.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:03 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.