New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hanging framed prints on old plaster walls

Scott Kroll
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hanging framed prints on old plaster walls

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good solution for this. My house is nearly 100 years old and the walls are the old horse-hair plaster. Typical dry wall anchors and such won't work. I am thinking of running 1x4s is spots and anchoring them into the studs and then use more of a hanging type system, but not sure if anyone has come up with something else.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:47 PM
AmIgone
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hanging framed prints on old plaster walls

Well I tried to hang some curtain rods in my daughter’s old house with plaster walls once. I ended up with a 3” holes in 2 spots. I would suggest maybe looking at the 3M type picture hangers. They use sticky removable tape with Velcro. I think there rated up to like 25lbs. I have some pictures hung with them and the one thing I do like is, they stay level. I haven’t tried to remove them yet so I can’t say how easy they come off the wall.

Command strips

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hanging framed prints on old plaster walls

Use picture frame molding and chains/wires to hang the picture from the molding.

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:33 PM
greggn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hanging framed prints on old plaster walls

How large are the frames ? Plexi or glass ?

Depending on the weight you may want to try 3M Command Strips. They attach and remove cleanly and multiple strips can easily hold small to medium sized frames.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hanging framed prints on old plaster walls

Scott Kroll wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good solution for this. My house is nearly 100 years old and the walls are the old horse-hair plaster. Typical dry wall anchors and such won't work. I am thinking of running 1x4s is spots and anchoring them into the studs and then use more of a hanging type system, but not sure if anyone has come up with something else.

Scott, my house is 120 years old and I have my photos hanging directly on the walls without extra support. That horse hair plaster is hung on wooden lathes that run horizontally through the wall. The trick is to find the center of the lath and use that use the support for the picture.

Lath is typically 2 inches wide and there is only a small gap between each one. (Sometimes it can seem like the gaps are much bigger though, when you're trying to find the wood.) I find it by tapping a finish nail into the wall. If it goes straight through I drop the nail 3/4" and go again. I'm just trying to find the lath, not put the nail through. When you find it, the nail will bounce back. Now move to a fresh spot and use a small diameter drill to start your hole through the wood. Take your mounting nail, which should be a little bigger than the hole and drive it at a 45 degree angle into the lath. I usually slide a picture hanger onto the nail first but the nail will hold the picture on it's own.

Of course if the plaster is especially crumbly you should avoid this method and use the molding and wire drop downs. Most of my home has the original recessed moldings made for hanging pictures from it but I don't use that except for especially heavy art frames.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work out I'll make a video for you . Good luck.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:17 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hanging framed prints on old plaster walls

A trick I learned at a museum where I was temporarily employed used Velcro squares stapled to the wall, and to the frames of the artwork hanging up, which was pretty heavy. The artwork was up for a couple months no problem. I have used that trick to keep my own photos on non-plaster walls, so maybe the wood strip with the Velcro on it, and then the other piece on the frame to hang it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.